Join our whole30+ group? Starting Mon 28th Oct

melbournegirl

Yay Juzbo day 20!!

I still feel tired and am a bit resigned to the fact that may just be my life at the moment. (My son woke up 3x last night) I really wanted to feel the difference when exercising but am still not as fast running as I was. I know its still early days but I think I was a bit caught up in the increased athletic performance others spoke of. Those who have done a whole30 did you experience tiger blood or better performance?

The other issue I have is waking to use the toilet. I did that before my son woke so I was actually awake 4 times last night. I used to sleep through and if that doesn't change I think thevpaleo diet is out for me. Am I wanting too much too soon??

There are good points as well. I am loving not being hungry and exerting my will power which does become easier. Especially saying as I did last night "I could have the bread but I'm CHOOSING not to" when asked " can't you have that". The food I've been making is also delicious. Its also time consuming. I did order Well Fed and no 2 but they haven't arrived when it said 7-10 days and is been 12. I hope they come soon!

I always say "I don't want" something...it's definitive, and doesn't give people an opportunity to change your mind.

In terms of sleeping through the night to go to the toilet. I stopped doing this during my whole 30. It coincided with a decreased training schedule. Increase training schedule...wake up at night to pee. I've increased my food intake to support my increased training, take magnesium, and noticed that I wake up less.

You may find eating more will support your training, and the stress in your life and decrease the night time wake ups.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks amberino I would never have thought about increasing my food to not wake up over night. All food? Or a certain type? I will try that. I'm not hungry yet between meals but once I start eating I realise I want the food and must be hungry but I'm not feeling it in my stomach as I used to.

Did you feel tiger blood or have better althletic performance?

I've increased my sw potato last few days hoping that will help with energy. Not sure exactly how much to have but i had about 2/3 of a sw potato yesterday. I'm also craving salt which I am adding but was wondering if that's just because I'm not eating processed food. Also had an unexpected period that lasted the longest in my life and was wondering if that was also a factor.

My two cents worth. I drink a lot and have very efficient kidneys so (TMI) I wee a lot during the day and was often up 2-3 times a night and always at least once. I was so surprised that one of the real benefits of whole30 eating for me was being able to sleep 9-10 hours without needing to get up, even when having a few compliant drinks post dinner.. When your hormones are in balance they work to stop your body producing urine at night. Stress from poor food or other issues or exercise (late at night or too much) unbalance this.

I have intermittent days and have had some consecutive days of tiger blood but I am so sensitive to many compliant foods and a number of other triggers that it is hard to sustain. I am happy enough with any day that I at least don't feel overwhelmed about and any peaceful feelings rather than anxiety about the days to come.

Re athletic performance, I had surgery and gained weight so my running speed has dropped... But despite losing muscle tone and not doing regular muscle building activities I have retained my ability to do push ups, monkey bars etc which I attribute to my diet supporting my muscle mass despite reduced activity... Now that its been six months I've decided it's time to get my fitness back!

Thanks amberino I would never have thought about increasing my food to not wake up over night. All food? Or a certain type? I will try that. I'm not hungry yet between meals but once I start eating I realise I want the food and must be hungry but I'm not feeling it in my stomach as I used to.

Did you feel tiger blood or have better althletic performance?

I've increased my sw potato last few days hoping that will help with energy. Not sure exactly how much to have but i had about 2/3 of a sw potato yesterday. I'm also craving salt which I am adding but was wondering if that's just because I'm not eating processed food. Also had an unexpected period that lasted the longest in my life and was wondering if that was also a factor.

I think it's more related to supporting yourself better nutritionally - vegies would help a lot I think, as the nutrients are going to help combat the oxidative stress. I've increased carbs a lot since starting our new (insane) training program, and think that helps with recovery. I've also made huge gains with the extra food.

On my whole 30 I didn't notice tiger blood per se, but I was coming from a similar lifestyle. I did notice more even energy, and no afternoon slumps. I couldn't judge performance as we started a different training style at the same time so it was hard to know what was going on! I also don't think I ate enough carbs to support what I was doing, which didn't help me make great gains.

If you aren't eating a lot of processed food you definitely need to add salt - a good quality sea salt, not normal table salt. Not having enough isn't healthy, I've read you need 1/4-1/2 Tspn per litre of water you consume through food or drink.

Hi all. Day 20 for me. Doing ok. Been sick with bronchitis and it's taking it's time going away. But interestingly I have had a lot of energy while I've been sick. 7 months of eating this way most of the time - has really made an impact.

Here's to taking care of ourselves!!!

Thanks for the replies. Definitely food for thought! Literally! My hormones are definitely out of whack re: unexpected long period whilst on the pill. I will have some more patience.

My runs are improving from 10 days ago and I'll just keep going and see. If I feel the improvement but think I need more than 30 days I may keep going ( with a glass of wine every now and again which for me is usually 2-3x week).

I bought magnesium at the supermarket to see if that helps as well.

I'm going at least till dec 1st but hopefully till 25th, I guess that's a whole60. I really want to keep going this time until I can sort my skin out and get my body burning fat. I'm more mentally prepared this time.... It's not a diet and therefore I don't need to stress or overeat compliant food just because I am restricting myself, instead it is what I m choosing to do for a number of reasons so I can choose to do it as long as I like :)

That's a great way to look at it Juzbo. We had friends over for a BBQ and I made a chocolate cake for a friend who's having a baby so she could take some home as she's a chocoholic. I didn't have any but did feel like I was missing out a bit and helped myself to more meat when I didn't need any and had already removed it from the table. I definitely felt like I was restricting myself and overate on compliant food. Although overeating on compliant food doesn't make me feel sick. Have made desserts on this whole30 before but today felt like my cravings were stronger. The thought actually did cross my mind about giving up and I wanted to lick the spoon really badly. I hadn't actually contemplated quitting before. I also had a few snacks (3 strawberries and raw veg when preparing dinner) compliant choices but unnecessary and I felt guilty eating them, knew I didn't need them and did anyway. Weird day.

Its all a mind game and how you view it. Need to remember its a choice all the time to eat this way. Also I could easily make the cake again. Definitely learning things about myself which is good.

Do you think having a glass or two of wine after the 30 days stops fat metabolism?

We are entering the extinction burst phase... Where the brain rebels... Very common around day 22-25.

Dry red wine is the best choice, lowest sugar... But the body processes alcohol as a toxin rather than as sugar/ carb... In the liver... So it's a different game.

I have stayed fat adapted all year.. (Its never ever 100%) which means I burn stored or dietary fat predominantly when I exercise.....

To dramatically reduce your fat adaption would require frequent eating of predominantly carbs for a couple of weeks. Keep up the mainly three meals, and protein/veg/fat composition and you should be right even with the addition of some noncompliant choices.

I have gained weight = stored fat from eating more than I need... I should have said "get my body burning excess fat". To do that I need to eat less and exercise more without triggering stress hormones which interfere with fat metabolism.

Day 23 one week to go!

Not hungry today and I felt really bloated after every meal. I'm unsure why. No snacking as too bloated. Still wanted chocolate cake and I can't see the cravings ending in a week. Finally Well Fed and Well Fed 2 arrived so I'll enjoy making some new recipes!

Also I never sleep in the day but today when my youngest was asleep I closed my eyes and next thing I could hear him and he woke me up. Not sure how long I slept maybe 5-10 minutes. I didn't even take naps with newborns! Definitely no tiger blood!

Kathhr and almcc, how are you doing? Anyone else just about to start day 24? I had been having brilliant sleep but have hit a rough patch the last two days, hindered by AF perhaps? Really don't feel like breakfast today for the first time ever too. But have had a good run with my exercise the last five days

Day 24 less than a week to go!

Really, really tired today. Didn't think about cheating at all but wanted to sleep. I was very busy at work and felt so mentally and physically exhausted that I decided not to run after work.

Just relaxing now and will try to go to bed early. Sleeping is really heavy and still very hard to wake up. Still waking overnight as well for the bathroom. I was similar to you this morning Juzbo, initally the thought of breakfast was unpleasant but waited a bit and then enjoyed it. Food after that all ok. I was worried this morning I was going to be bloated like yesterday but was fine.

M1 egg, mushroom and onion casserole

M2 chicken, spinach and kelp red curry

M3 chicken, beef burger, salad and roasted pumpkin with guacamole. Few small pieces of watermelon

Overall ok in mood just very tired.

That's great Stamping rules about sleeping through. Can't wait for that to return.

Still tired but less so then yesterday. Really busy at work again but felt good coming home as I don't return till next Wednesday. Went to hot yoga tonight and left feeling really calm. Really enjoyed it tonight.

No cravings today but really bloated again. Maybe I had too much fructose?!

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Going good except hubby bought a big bag of cashews, impossible for me to resist, seriously but could have been worse. Luckily I was away for two days while most got eaten. I will have to find the off switch for next time. I haven't had any other major problems and this is probably my first whole30 ever without an extinction burst or terrible TMO cravings so very happy.

I'm still hanging in there! I can't believe it's almost over! The main thing I've almost caved to has been a glass of wine/alcohol. We had a 30th birthday party with a fully stocked bar, and I had a girls night this week. I'm also going out with some friends tonight. I won't cave, but man it's tempting! The only thing I'm really looking forward to post-Whole 30 will be a big glass of red wine....mmmm. 

Otherwise I'm still feeling good. I'm wearing pants I bought on super sale a few months ago that couldn't even come up all the way- and now they fit! Fun progress to see. 

Haven't been sleeping as well as I like (4 month old and 2 1/2 year old) and I notice a HUGE change in my cravings when I've had a rough night of sleep. 

Found I'm still tired again today. Trying to decide if I'm more tired now than before I did it. Maybe my iron is low again?

My parents got back today after being away for 7 weeks and it was tough to not celebrate with a glass of wine. Also mum had bought me sour lollies from South Africa which I love. Everyone else was eating them and mum couldn't really understand what effect one glass or a few lollies would do. It does seem like I'm being over the top saying no but its only for a few more days.

Also still bloated and don't feel that I've lost any weight. Think I'll keep the eating up in general to see if my body just takes longer to feel better.

Day 29

I woke up as usual feeling drugged and like I could sleep longer. Once I had my coffee though I felt full of energy. Not sure if from the diet or because I didn't do any cardio last week so my body had a rest. I did do a pump class, hot yoga and Pilates but would also normally run a few times as well. Anyway felt awesme in pump today and like I should have increased my weights. Also did 2000m on the rower after the class and beat my best time by 23 seconds!! 9mins 20 sec!! Very good for me and didn't feel that bad afterwards.

Will test out running tomorrow. Unsure if it's a fluke, cardio rest or the meal plan but I'm happy about it anyway.

Having my second coffee as decaf and will see if I hit a slump.

Kathr: I wanted wine SO badly this weekend! Not even to celebrate anything; just wanted it :) I almost gave in, then reminded myself I'm so so so close- I want to see this thing finished! And then have a glass of wine :)

Day 30 done and dusted!

As long as I don't go have a wine now ;-) Will have a glass tomorrow though. Cheers mommac.!!

I realised from reading about doing the reintroduction properly you are really still doing the meal plan for another 10 days with a little change every three days. If I add some sour cream to my chilli but keep everything else the same its not that different. Well its not like I'll be eating pasta and garlic bread with parmesan. Very interested to see my weight tomorrow as I really don't feel like I've lost much weight.

It will be nice to not worry about the sugar as much although I love how sweet fruit is tasting. I am a bit concerned about too much sugar and finding a happy balance.

Also had a decaf again today as my second coffee and very tired but think I'll keep going with that as my work in progress. Don't care about the gluten products much except as treats but I do really want to see if I keep going whether my runs improve.

Hi all,

Today is also my day 30 and whilst I haven't posted before I have been following your journeys with interest. Kathhr I am assuming you come from the land down under if you are already finished?! Just had breakfast here in the UK but we are coming out to Australia in less than a month for Xmas and new year and can't wait! I'm not sure how I plan to go forward from here but one of the greatest benefits it has brought is that I now take ownership of my food consumption. I can eat whatever I choose but I have to understand the consequences. So whatever happens this increase awareness of food and its relationship with my body can only be a good thing. Congratulations everyone!

Hi Amberetta, yes I'm in Melbourne. I hope we show you some nice sunny weather while you're here in Australia.

The problem here is I only get the emails late at night. Today's email suggested if you haven't slain the sugar dragon to keep going with the whole30. I already had in my mind to reintroduce dairy tomorrow. Mine is not slain as I had 6 strawberries right after dinner to finish with something sweet. It wasn't a separate snack and I went and cleaned my teeth straight afterwards. I find this helps to curb wanting more. I don't feel bad about some strawberries that were delicious from the farmers market but unsure if I'm doing the wrong thing?

Good luck juzbo with the next 6 days it seems like you're taking this in your stride!!

Archived