Applesauce recipe?

Emily T

Hello!

Looking for a whole30 compliant applesauce recipe. I know it must exist, as I buy applesauce without added sugar all the time! I am making apple butter for my family, but it contains TONS of sugar so I am looking to make and can some unsweetened applesauce for me for deliciousness throughout the winter months. 

When I make apple butter (which I just did and made a ton!), I do the following:

1) Wash and core apples. 

2) Crockpot on low over night.

3) Add sugar/spices in the morning.

4) Crockpot on low all day.

5 Puree in food processor

6) Can

To make applesauce, I do steps 1, 2, 5 and 6.  Just skip the sugar/spices.  I left the skins on and it made the applesauce have a texture to it that isn't bad, but kids might object.  It doesn't affect the applebutter at all because of the extra day of crockpotting.  To avoid it, you could peal the apples first or run them through a foodmill before you cook them down.

I do mine with apples in the slow cooker until soft with a touch of water. Then I free pour in cinnamon and nutmeg, hit the stick blender and done.

I've never added sugar to my applesauce. For apple butter, keep cooking it after the blending/spicing. Lovely brown color and great flavor.

Okay. Peeled apples, water, nutmeg, and cinnamon. I got these great cinnamon sticks from Penzeys that I am dying to use. I might throw in some allspice too. Crockpot, cook all day, stick blender, can. 

I'm going to eat so many pork chops with applesauce this winter!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

When I make mine, I just peel the apples, core and cut them up. I don't add water, just let them cook down to whatever consistency you want. I take the peelings and let them simmer in some water while the apples are cooking. I use that to add to the apples if they start to look dry. I also use that "syrup" to make popsicles for my girls. They love them, and if you use red apples, it has a wonderful pick color to it. You can add whatever spices you would like, but if you use good quality apples, you don't need them.

When you are done, just process in a water bath per canning instructions.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived