Critique meals please

I have been experiencing a lot of bloating/gas. I just posted a. ? About almond meal but I wonder if it might be other foods. I've never experienced gas like this before and it's uncomfortable. I thought it would resolve but in the last two days it seems much worse. So here's my meals...critique away!

Day 1 BF: 3 egg/veggie frittata. Veggies are spinach, red pepper, zucchini, onion, topped with 1/2 avocado

Lunch: salmon burger. Recipe from ISWF. Contains salmon, egg, sweet potato, almond meal.

Veggies: cauliflower and sweet potato mash

Homemade mayo

Snack: apple with almond butter

Dinner: same as lunch (I make meals ahead of time for the week so often repeat during a day.

Day 2 BF: same as day one

Lunch: romaine, baby artichoke hearts, olives, tuna, homemade dressing

Dinner: clam burger-made with onions, almond meal, egg, clam, sweet potato.

Veggies: sweet potato/cauliflower mash

Pecans

Ok-that's a smattering. What am I doing that may be the culprit? Too many sweet potatoes? Onions? Almond meal? Those are my best guesses. Your thoughts?

Onion, cauli, avocado, artichoke are all high in fodmaps, almonds are too. Fodmaps are carbohydrates that are poorly digested by all but some people are more sensitive to the side effects of the poor digestion. Most people have an amount they can tolerate, if you are sensitive you might have gone over your threshold... I love cauliflower rice but I rarely have it as its hard to make a small serve and I have terrible stomach issues if I eat it back to back.

Thanks! I've never had issues with any of these foods before. But I am eating more of them then I did before. Interesting, I was thinking it could be excess sweet potato. But from what you've said-it's everything else! To answer the question, it usually starts in the afternoon and lasts through evening. Not after any one meal. But I do more nuts in the afternoon than am. I'll eliminate them-but what do I use in place if almond meal?

I'll eliminate them-but what do I use in place if almond meal?

For a salmon patty or a clam patty like you describe I would just leave it out. If you want it for a softer texture (like breadcrumbs?) you could try grinding/shredding sweet potato, mushrooms, zuchinni or onion (or a combination) and using that in it's place. If it's for binding, I find the egg to be enough to hold things together, but you could try increasing egg if that's not working for you.

Onions and cauliflower do this to me if I have them in excess and it is normally noticed when they hit a certain point in digestion, so I normally get pain around the abdomen later in the day, I rarely get an instant reaction. FODMAPS is really worth looking into, you may not need to totally eliminate everything, it may just be a case of being mindful not to have too many high FODMAP foods in one go or too close together to avoid a cumulative effect :)

Archived