January 6 - Day 1

Robert2014

I will not be finishing with you all- I failed on Saturday at my friends baby shower. I definately had sugar, wheat, and dairy. I went back to whole 30 Sunday and will be today, and I'll start introducing properly tomorrow. So I will not have completed a whole 30, I guess I did only a whole 26. :mellow:

I am going to try eating paleo-ish, but I do want the occasional treat. We'll see how it goes.

I am going to try to get my boyfriend onboard and try to do a whole 30 maybe in the fall.

I'll still be lurking around the forum :lol:

I must let you all know that I, too, succumbed to my son's birthday party. I made homemade pizza and had some. I had a Whole18. I'm a bit bummed, but I've learned a lot, and I'm planning on doing another Whole ______(something!) soon.

I really enjoyed this board, and all of the people on it. You guys are awesome! Congratulations to all who made it to 30!

Lara

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm going to give the unimportant stats first:

8 lbs lost

1/2 inch from thigh

1/2 inch from waist

1/2 inch from hips

2 inches from bust (I don't trust this number. My bras all fit the same.)

The important stuff:

• I remembered how to take care of my body: feed it nourishing food, get enough sleep, and drink plenty of water.
  • I was reminded of how good real food is. I remember after my first W30, I went to get fast food and the smell was nauseating...I think I'm back to that place, and it makes me happy. I don't feel like testing it, though, by going to a fast food place.
  • I *can* make it home at night when I'm exhausted and still make dinner, without stopping for junk food along the way.
  • I can drive 14 hours in a weekend and still make healthy choices.
  • I feel so damn good. I have energy till bedtime, and I don't mind going to bed maybe a little earlier than I used to because I know I'll be out till my alarm (sadly, can't do away with that). When I don't have energy all day, I can pinpoint why (like yesterday, I was tired after lunch, but that's because it's that time of the month for me and I didn't have near enough starchy veggies for breakfast and lunch).
  • I can listen to my body and know what it needs to run better.
  • I don't just eat for fuel or because I'm bored or emotional. I eat because I'm hungry, and I fully enjoy what I'm eating.

I wouldn't call a Whole26 a fail! Sounds like you had a really special occasion and celebrated. Your cat (cute, but looking rather schoolmarmish in the photo) should smile at your success. :D

Thanks! It was special and the flourless chocolate cake was to die for and I don't regret eating it! I didn't fall too far off the wagon, and devour every peice of chocolate I've seen since, so I think something is working.

Yes this pic of my Tigger is pretty funny, he's got his head tucked into his neck or something, silly kitty, I know he's proud of me! :)

Happy Day 30! (do your day 30 dance now) Feels good to have followed through! Back in January 2013 I completed a Whole30, then had many failed attempts after that. So it's nice to know I could find a happy place again and am back to feeling good. I will weigh tomorrow. I've had several compliments on seeing change in my face and overall looking slimmer! YAY for that. And I hope to stay on this plan for most meals. I will continue to prep and cook on Sundays. But I'm not going to continue to be super strict. I'm also not going to dive into a pizza either. With that said I'll stay Paleo, maybe 90/10.

Congrats to everyone no matter what day you are on even if it's a do-over. Taking on this challenge is HUGE. And to make it 1 day or 30 days is a step towards a healthier life. Woohooo!

Happy Day 30! (do your day 30 dance now) Feels good to have followed through! Back in January 2013 I completed a Whole30, then had many failed attempts after that. So it's nice to know I could find a happy place again and am back to feeling good. I will weigh tomorrow. I've had several compliments on seeing change in my face and overall looking slimmer! YAY for that. And I hope to stay on this plan for most meals. I will continue to prep and cook on Sundays. But I'm not going to continue to be super strict. I'm also not going to dive into a pizza either. With that said I'll stay Paleo, maybe 90/10.

Congrats to everyone no matter what day you are on even if it's a do-over. Taking on this challenge is HUGE. And to make it 1 day or 30 days is a step towards a healthier life. Woohooo!

Love the last two lines of this Stephanie.  It's all about taking steps toward being healthier.

Day 30!! Can hardly believe I made it through. I'm going to keep on with it because I feel that my body needs more time to truly get to feeling good. I'm doing my best not to get discouraged; instead telling myself that I'm exhausted because my body is still busy healing, etc. I really, truly believe that this is a very healthy way to live and one I should and CAN do (with some moderation in the future). I know I've lost inches because I can fit into a smaller size of jeans. Not one person, though, has said anything about any lost weight -- not even my 2 daughters! :-( Oh well, I'm not letting that bother me. I can tell, and that's what counts. While on the Whole30, I've been reading a couple of books by Peter Walsh, "Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat?" and "It's All Too Much." As you can tell by the titles, they are all about how cluttered our lives can become and how that contributes to weight gain, unhappiness, etc. One thing he said in both books is "Imagine the life you'd like to live." I've really thought about that, and know that the life I want to live is one where I eat healthy, stay mindful and thankful, practice my piano every day, walk my dog twice a day, laugh a LOT every day, stay connected with people (even after I retire), and stay curious. What a fascinating world we live in! This has been a great ride, that's for sure. And all of you have done a lot to make it possible.

Woop, Woop ~ day 30!!  Congrats to everyone (no matter what day you made it to!). 

I am down 11 pounds (I am 5'2", 154 pounds, 42 yrs old).  I wish I would have measured because I know that I have lost more inches  than weight.  I thought I would lose more however I did kind of start in December (with Whole5's :) so since December 2nd I have lost a total of 18 pounds.  

As I think back to how I felt in November, I realize how much better I feel today.   I truly feel great!  I am sleeping better than I have in a long time, my skin is glowing and I have not had to use my asthma rescue inhaler once in the 30 days.  I have absolutely no cravings and have been in many situations with tempations.  I have energy like crazy  (although that has not translated into exercising like crazy, unfortunately).      I feel trimmer and healthier and younger.   

This has been an awesome experience and one I will do again. 

Hey all!  Happy 30!  

@nnekamolly - I had the same question about alcohol.  My husband and I are going out on Saturday, so i plan to reintroduce it then.  I think I'm going to be a cheap date!  At this point, I think 2 glasses of wine would put me under the table.

Yes, I'm nervous about reintroduction and weighing myself.  Although, my husband has said he has noticed a difference, my friends haven't said anything yet.  In the past, loosing weight has been ridiculously hard for me. But, I also feel confident. Without even thinking about it, I started to plan our meals this week the same way, made ghee, and plan to make mayo.  So, I feel like this is going to be mostly a permanent change.  I will do the reintroductions over time, but plan to stay compliant most of the time.

@ Ktcat & Lara - I also feel like I "failed"; although huge quotes because I know this has been a huge success and is bigger than any "fail" or treat.  My son had a stomach bug last Thurs and Fri.  On Sat, I started to feel a little nauseous and had one of his ginger ales.  I knew I should have made ginger tea, but it just wasn't in me.  Fortunately, I never did get sick.  I think this way of eating has been a big part of that.

I feel so much better with more energy.  

I'll be checking in with stats tomorrow.  I'm excited to see everyone's results.  Congratulations to everyone!

I started the AIP oct.1 and went off a bit during vacation in dec. then, started this W30 in Jan. I had introduced a few things before vacation, like egg yolks from pastured eggs, and seed spices. I have added chocolate and decaf coffee, and some nuts. I think I need to keep coffee out, and keep egg yolks minimal. I stay away from nuts mostly, since I know they are food -with- no -brakes  for me anyway. The only thing I miss is tomato sauce and some nightshade spices, like paprika and red pepper flakes. I am somewhat afraid to try them, but might start with paprika, just because other people use it in cooking. It is nearly impossible for me to eat anywhere as it is.Knowing for sure I cant have something, like dairy and gluten, means I can tell people not to use it without feeling like I am causing problems for nothing.

So I am "off" W30 for now, but my diet hasnt changed much. I will be having some sweet-ish things, like mexican chocolate, but not much else has changed. I dont know if I lost weight, but I dont need to. I am doing this to feel better, not to look better. (the looks are long gone, as I am 50!) I just want energy and mental clarity, and motivation to do all the things I still want to do with my life.

Good work, all!!

I am so excited I made it 30 days!! It's the longest I have ever gone without sugar. 

I am so excited to post my results but more than that--I can't wait to see what 2014 and beyond has for me. I find eating this way incredibly easy now and I don't plan to stop. Will I have a few little extras? Yes. But I plan on staying like this. I too find it almost impossible to lose weight, and since I enjoy eating like this so much, I don't plan to stop.

I am so excited to hear EVERYONE'S results tonight and tomorrow! You all did amazingly :)

I've decided to do a Whole 60 and I am seriously struggling today. I made an omelet with stir fry veggies for breakfast, took it to work, and felt sick at the thought of eating it. Then I had to force myself to eat the leftover grilled chicken and broccoli I  brought for lunch. I had some almonds and a Lara Bar, so I've made it through staying compliant, just not really on plan. I think I'm going to go home tonight and make some Pineapple Chili for the rest of the week. On a good note, I finally signed up for our local CSA and am really excited. We are getting apples, oranges, sweet potatoes, spinach, bok choy, colorful carrots, salad greens, and fresh eggs. I cannot wait to get my box on Friday and have already been looking for bok choy recipes on Pintrest since I have never had it.

Lost 15 lbs (didn't do measurements) and these bad habits: snacking uncontrollably from low blood sugar, exhaustion and pent-up deprivation, stuffing food to comfort myself for feeling uncomfortable (wha?), making sabotaging food choices again and again and again.

At a loss for words about all (understanding, energy, new cookbooks!) I've gained...I'm just gonna live it!

All best wishes and THANKS to you all!

BOOM, WE DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel amazing. Weighed in this morning, and I'm down 15 lbs. Didn't take measurements, but I can feel how much smaller I am. More importantly, I feel clear and happy and healthy. I'm so proud of us for having taken this step to improve our health and our lives!

I don't want to leave this forum! I'm going to go through reintro, but I plan to stick with this way of eating as much as possible (with the occasional veer for a special occasion or holiday).

Today, I'm reintroing non-gluten grains. Had this quinoa breakfast cereal thing. It was sweetened with a little maple syrup (not a lot, mind you). Y'all ... I found it to be too sweet! Y'ALL. I ACTUALLY REJECTED SOMETHING BECAUSE IT WAS TOO SWEET.

Just let that sink in for a second...

I never thought I'd see the day. :D

Is anyone else sticking around this forum? Or should we start a reintro thread?? Don't leave me!! :unsure:

I feel amazing. Weighed in this morning, and I'm down 15 lbs. Didn't take measurements, but I can feel how much smaller I am. More importantly, I feel clear and happy and healthy. I'm so proud of us for having taken this step to improve our health and our lives!

I don't want to leave this forum! I'm going to go through reintro, but I plan to stick with this way of eating as much as possible (with the occasional veer for a special occasion or holiday).

Today, I'm reintroing non-gluten grains. Had this quinoa breakfast cereal thing. It was sweetened with a little maple syrup (not a lot, mind you). Y'all ... I found it to be too sweet! Y'ALL. I ACTUALLY REJECTED SOMETHING BECAUSE IT WAS TOO SWEET.

Is anyone else sticking around this forum? Or should we start a reintro thread?? Don't leave me!! :unsure:

I don't want to leave, either, mkhammer! I want to keep saying what I'm doing and what's working and hearing what others are doing and what's working for them, celebrating progress and boosting or being boosted when there are rough patches.

So, I'm doing the dairy reintro first. I made Nom Nom Paleo's Cinnamon Apple Scones (half the butter of traditional scones, no wheat of course, some honey). They were GREAT, but 1/2 of one was enough. When did I ever think that would happen? I had some yogurt, too. I'll have cream in my coffee later (if I decide to have coffee later), but I'm not an ice cream fan, so I won't have ice cream. I anticipate only keeping the cream and butter in some limited dishes a part of the regular plan moving forward. I know cheese will make my head stuffy and it's food-without-brakes for me, so it's a special occasions food.

I'm also working in more intermittent fasting on some weekdays. I don't find I try to compensate for the skipped meal now that my blood sugar is in good regulation. Chris Kresser has info about how intermittent fasting can be a positive stress for some. 

After dairy, I'll see how white rice goes. Then maybe white potatoes. I don't plan to reintroduce wheat at all, but to have it when I decide it's really special (my mom's lasagna once a year, etc, but even that could be great with planks of roasted zucchini instead...). I have a copy of The Ancestral Table on pre-order. 

I still haven't started exercising. Not that I'm cocky about having lost 15 lbs without exercising, but it's just a big habit leap. I'm active for my job and I walk a lot, but I know getting started with the kettle bell will make an important difference. Someone kick my a$% and make me start! It Starts With Food, but continues with iron, right?

I don't weigh myself but I lost 11.5 inches off my body {from what I was measuring}--so 1 inch off my arm, 1 inch off my chest, 1.5 inches off my waist, 2 inches off my low abdomen, 2.5 inches off my hips and 2 inches off my thighs. AMAZING! I am so happy, this is an entire size. I am super thankful to everyone here for recipe ideas and help and communal KATT posts.

I also wrote a thank-you blog to commemorate my first Whole30: http://xinesbattleofherbulge.com/2014/02/05/whole30-finished/

Can't wait to continue talking with all of you on a different board!

xoxo Christine

We would ask you to start a new thread in either the reintroduction section or the Post W30 log section so that food discussions in the Join the Whole30 section remain about compliant foods for those who are new and skim through for ideas. :)

I started a new thread on the reintro forum: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/16437-j6-reintro-thread/.

Let's stay in touch there!!

Let me know where you guys end up, I want to stay too!!  ;)

I lost approximately 12 pounds. Don't know exactly because I hadn't weighed right before starting Whole30. But I haven't been in the 180's for YEARS. I didn't measure, but I can wear a size smaller jeans. Don't know about scrubs, but they seem way too loose, so I'll try a smaller size with them, too. What a happy day this is. To think that we all kept on keeping on even though times were sometimes really tough. We are strong. I should induct you all into the "Helen Reddy I am Woman Hear Me Roar Club" (well, at least all the females). Sort of weird to think that most of you are probably way too young to even know who Helen Reddy is!

I think the most amazing thing I've found I can live without is sugar. I NEVER would have thought that I could/would give up every kind of sweetener for 30 days. That realization completely blows me away. I still find myself wanting to put artificial sweetener in coffee, and sometimes a shot or two of those flavored creamers, but have held fast. I am very afraid that I have not starved the sugar dragon, only put him in a coma, and he could reawaken if I risk it. I'm going to keep on, hopefully at least another 30 days. But I'd love to come on board with the new thread. Thanks so much for starting it mk_hammer! See you there! All the very best -- Toni.

So, I lost about 5 lbs. and 4 inches. Not a lot, but I was already eating pretty clean. I don't plan to reintroduce anything at this point. I'm going to stay on plan until at least the 14th, maybe longer. My body just feels so much better eating this way. Without the sugars (I cut almost all fruit and very limited starchy carbs), my belly fat really disappeared. I don't feel deprived, I feel enlightened!

Lost 10lbs! Yippee Skippy! I should have taken measurements but I did not. I did take before and after pics and there is noticeable difference but I'm waiting to share those on my blog later down the road when I have more progression pics to show in the next month or two. Woooooohoooooo. I'm still keepin on. Maybe allowing 1-2 OFF road meals a week if necessary but nothing crazy. I'll be in the new forum. Thanks mk_hammer!

Read my Whole30 Day 30 and Day 31 recaps here: http://idrankthecfkoolaid.com/2014/02/04/drumroll-please-day-30/ and http://idrankthecfkoolaid.com/2014/02/05/boom-whole30-complete/

And for those of you close or near finishing. STAY STRONG!

Archived