January 6 - Day 1

Robert2014

Ok, question for y'all: how long do you keep leftovers in the fridge? I cook sweet potatoes on Sunday and eat them through Friday, so I'm up to 5 days. My hubs seems to think this is unsafe. What are your thoughts?

Also, coconut milk. I open a can, put the contents in a tightly sealed container, and use the coconut milk all week. The can says it should be consumed within 2 days of opening. How long do y'all keep your coconut milk??

All the things I cook up on Sundays- like this weekend- pot roast, turnips, sweet potatoes, veggie soups with coconut milk- I eat all week and plan for them to last until Friday. Towards Wednesday, if it seems like I wont be able to eat everything, I start freezing things like soup or the chili/meatballs. I haven't had any problems. I've been making things mostly from Clothes make the girl, and she appears to make things to last all week as well. I'm really careful about not licking spoons/forks and putting it back into the container, just to cut down on contamination.

I think things like hard boiled eggs might have a different shelf-life... like 3-4 days. I have one in there from last thursday, I'm planning on tossing it!

Coconut milk- I've been buying A taste of Thai, I think. And the can says it will last 10 days in the fridge in a sealed container. I bought one can of whole foods organic to compare the taste and it says it will last only 2-3 days. I don't know why the big difference, but like you, I use it all week.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plan for day 31! It doesn't have to be scary, and it doesn't have to be a dive into crappy foods. I have already planned that this whole30 is more like a whole45ish or so because I'm counting my reintro phase as part of it. I have my reintro days marked on my calendar so I know what I'm eating when. Day 31? I'm going to have a hot chocolate with breakfast, cheese with lunch, and ice cream after dinner (Haagen Daz has chocolate chocolate chip ice cream with no corn syrup and no soy lecithin :D ). I'm already planning my meals for my reintro phase so I don't freak out and eat whatever (like I did after my first w30).

I got to be exuberant with my veggies this morning! (I was a little worried yesterday about the supply.) Ready for another good snow day at home -- lots of knitting. :D

You might want to take it a little slow on the re-intro phase so that you can really tag the culprits. For instance, with the dairy, I sometimes feel the effects immediately and sometimes after a few days (in my skin). This seems like a lot of dairy to jump right into and a lot of sugar too. Just my 2 cents :)

All the things I cook up on Sundays- like this weekend- pot roast, turnips, sweet potatoes, veggie soups with coconut milk- I eat all week and plan for them to last until Friday. Towards Wednesday, if it seems like I wont be able to eat everything, I start freezing things like soup or the chili/meatballs. I haven't had any problems. I've been making things mostly from Clothes make the girl, and she appears to make things to last all week as well. I'm really careful about not licking spoons/forks and putting it back into the container, just to cut down on contamination.

I think things like hard boiled eggs might have a different shelf-life... like 3-4 days. I have one in there from last thursday, I'm planning on tossing it!

Coconut milk- I've been buying A taste of Thai, I think. And the can says it will last 10 days in the fridge in a sealed container. I bought one can of whole foods organic to compare the taste and it says it will last only 2-3 days. I don't know why the big difference, but like you, I use it all week.

I have no problem keeping coconut milk and sweet potatoes for the week. You'll know when the coconut milk is off! I keep HB eggs even longer. But, I have an iron stomach and always give it a sniff test. I spend SO much on good quality food, it kills me to throw it out!

Ok, question for y'all: how long do you keep leftovers in the fridge? I cook sweet potatoes on Sunday and eat them through Friday, so I'm up to 5 days. My hubs seems to think this is unsafe. What are your thoughts?

Also, coconut milk. I open a can, put the contents in a tightly sealed container, and use the coconut milk all week. The can says it should be consumed within 2 days of opening. How long do y'all keep your coconut milk??

As for veggies, if they aren't growing mold, I eat them!  Chicken/beef usually about 5 days, 7 max.  Apparently I haven't read the coconut milk can : )  I have stored it in the fridge for up to a week with no problem.

You might want to take it a little slow on the re-intro phase so that you can really tag the culprits. For instance, with the dairy, I sometimes feel the effects immediately and sometimes after a few days (in my skin). This seems like a lot of dairy to jump right into and a lot of sugar too. Just my 2 cents :)

In the book It Starts with Food, it tells us to have milk in all three meals, and says if we *want* to have ice cream, to go for it. My dairy reintroduction was going to look similar, latte in the morning, small amount of cheese at lunch and sharing a little pint of ice cream with my husband at night. I am only going to have little bits, as I am nervous about having TOO much. 

I'm following the guidelines laid out in the book, I think. Dairy at each meal. I'll probably even skip the cheese at lunch because I'm a fan of melted cheese/queso and that's about it (plus, buying a single slice of cheese from the deli would just be annoying). And I don't plan on downing the largest hot chocolate I can find, nor eating the entire pint of ice cream. A small, high-quality hot chocolate from a coffee shop on campus, and a scoop of ice cream after dinner.

As for how long I keep food / leftovers...till they go bad? If they look ok, I sniff, and if they smell ok, I taste, and if they taste ok, I dive in. I've kept veggies for up to a week.

Here is the sample reintroduction schedule from It Starts With Food.  http://whole30.com/step-two-finished/

You can reintro in whatever order you choose (and only reintro food groups you're either curious about or would like to eat again), but the rule of thumb is eat the item in question at all 3 meals in one day, keeping everything else Whole30 compliant. Then go back to 100% Whole30 compliance for 2 days to allow for any delayed reactions.  Then move to the next reintro item and so on.

Once you reintroduce a food group, you don't have it again until you complete the reintroduction process.

My daughter and I started our Whole30s on January 29. I've been eating suger-free since January 1 and I've felt so much better since I've been doing that. The only things I can see me missing is my Greek plain yogurt with fresh fruit and walnuts and maybe cheese. I guess I'm lucky that I don't drink coffee so I don't have to worry about what to do about creamer. My eating had really gotten out of control and I looked back to a time I was comfortable and happy with the way I was eating and it was pretty close to Whole30. So, I'm really looking forward to this Whole30 to get me back to a place I can be healthy, happy and comfortable with the way I am eating and living.

Sharon

I am struggling to eat vegetables in the morning.  I can do it if it's in an egg scramble, some days.  Anyone have any suggestions, tips, tricks, etc??  I really just have no appetite for veggies at breakfast, it's hard to stomach eating them even though I'm hungry.

As I get closer to Day 30 my body is craving all things sweet. I am a bit worried that my sugar dragon has been doing pull ups in the gym and will come out in full force after this is over. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Now that we are nearing the end, yes yes yes. I see a chocolate and the voice in my head says "You can have this now, it's only 5 days away, what does it matter?" But I tell the voice to SHOVE IT and when it asks again I say ASKED AND ANSWERED. But it is frustrating. And that is why I am going to be vigilant about being as sugar-free as possible in February. See if I can't control this voice in my head.

@baxtercoyne: I can't sit down and eat veggies like broccoli or carrots straight up in the morning. I do a hash of sweet potato, onion, bell pepper, and sometimes jalapeno or spinach. I'll throw leftover cauliflower rice in if I have some. I really like a hash because I like eggs over easy, and the yolk can run down into the veggies and oh man, it's delicious. Or frittatas are really easy to throw extra veggies in -- broccoli, spinach, all the stuff I listed before.

I am struggling to eat vegetables in the morning.  I can do it if it's in an egg scramble, some days.  Anyone have any suggestions, tips, tricks, etc??  I really just have no appetite for veggies at breakfast, it's hard to stomach eating them even though I'm hungry.

Baxter,

A bit of almond butter on celery or bell pepper has worked for me.  There's alsways the spinach smoothie.  I know W30 doesn't recommend smoothies (rather chew food than drink it) but I like you don't normally do veggies in the am.  Had a great smoothie this morning:  spinach, almond butter, frozen mango, fresh strawberry, a bit of apple.  one of the best I've made since I got my Vitamix.  Good luck to you. :-)

Many people opt for soup at meal 1 to get their vegetables in. You'd just need to add a protein and fat to meet the meal template.

Baxter,

A bit of almond butter on celery or bell pepper has worked for me.  There's alsways the spinach smoothie.  I know W30 doesn't recommend smoothies (rather chew food than drink it) but I like you don't normally do veggies in the am.  Had a great smoothie this morning:  spinach, almond butter, frozen mango, fresh strawberry, a bit of apple.  one of the best I've made since I got my Vitamix.  Good luck to you. :-)

You'd have to eat a lot of celery or bell pepper for this to work.  The idea is to have 1-3 cups of whole vegetables per meal.

And yes, you're right, smoothies are discouraged on a Whole30. :)  Instead have at least 1 cup of whole vegetables, 1-2 palms of protein, and appropriate fat. You're allowed 1-2 fruit servings a day where a serving is a piece of whole fruit the size of your fist.  

Can y'all believe that most of us are 5 days away from having this Whole30 under our belts? I'm excited that we are successful so far. I don't post or comment much but reading everybody's successes and setbacks really are inspiring. For those of you analyzing where you may have gone wrong and for those of you willing yourself through even though you so badly want to eat bad things. And for those of you who are planned and prepared. It's such great motivation.

We're almost there! On the home stretch :) I hope that this journey has opened your eyes to live a healthier food life!

I think I have a plan for book club now! There's a great, local pizza place that offers a gluten-free pizza. I think I'll choose book club day as my dairy reintro day, so I'll obvs do cheese on the pizza. I can't be sure about their tomato sauce (whether they add sugar), but I'm just going to do my best and play it by ear. I'll be sure to get the regular pizza for the rest of the ladies, and I'll get the gluten-free option for me. I'll load up with salad on the side.

I will probably have a glass of wine, as well. But I feel better now that I have a plan!

Book club is Thursday, Feb 13. Speaking of which, how does everyone plan to navigate Valentine's Day??

Day 25 and I'm happy to report that I ate the best meal so far for my lunch today. I haven't had much luck with Well Fed's few recipes that I've tried, but boy oh boy, is the Best Chicken You'll Ever Eat scrumptious! I don't have a grill, so I broiled instead and that worked okay except for almost setting my potholder on fire! Then I made Moroccan Dipping Sauce and that was the cherry on top. I had the chicken, sweet potato, raw green pepper and carrot sticks and some of the Sauce. I poured a little of the sauce over the chicken, and then dunked the raw veggies in it. So yummy!! Still desperately fatigued -- going to bed at 8:30 or so. It will be interesting to see how I do tonight because I've switched shifts with a coworker and will be working until 10 p.m. Then back 9 hours later to work 7-3:30. Keeps me on my toes!

I think I have a plan for book club now! There's a great, local pizza place that offers a gluten-free pizza. I think I'll choose book club day as my dairy reintro day, so I'll obvs do cheese on the pizza. I can't be sure about their tomato sauce (whether they add sugar), but I'm just going to do my best and play it by ear. I'll be sure to get the regular pizza for the rest of the ladies, and I'll get the gluten-free option for me. I'll load up with salad on the side.

I will probably have a glass of wine, as well. But I feel better now that I have a plan!

Book club is Thursday, Feb 13. Speaking of which, how does everyone plan to navigate Valentine's Day??

What do they use to make their gluten-free pizza dough? Not trying to rain on your parade here I just know that most gluten free products are not grain free as well so you should check otherwise you may be having non-gluten grains and dairy on the same day. 

What do they use to make their gluten-free pizza dough? Not trying to rain on your parade here I just know that most gluten free products are not grain free as well so you should check otherwise you may be having non-gluten grains and dairy on the same day. 

Here's what they say about their gluten-free pizza.

Our Gluten-Free Pizza Dough

This product is egg, caesin, soy, rice, nut and gluten free. Ingredients: Smart flour (Tapioca flour, Amaranth Flour, Sorghum Flour, Teff flour), Water, Modified Tapioca Starch, Potato starch, Flax Seed, Sugar, Olive Oil, Agave, Instant Yeast, Granulated Sugar, Salt, Xanthan Gum, Guar Gum, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, and Canola Oil.

This product is egg, caesin, soy, rice, nut and gluten free. Ingredients: Smart flour (Tapioca flour, Amaranth Flour, Sorghum Flour, Teff flour), Water, Modified Tapioca Starch, Potato starch, Flax Seed, Sugar, Olive Oil, Agave, Instant Yeast, Granulated Sugar, Salt, Xanthan Gum, Guar Gum, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, and Canola Oil.

The point is, before you use gluten-free pizza to test dairy, be sure you test non-gluten grains first, so if you have a reaction, you know what caused it.  The baking powder likely contains corn, and the teff is a non-gluten grain.

Amaranth is definitely a non-gluten grain. I do believe that Sorghum and Teff are as well but not as certain as I am about Amaranth. 

The point is, before you use gluten-free pizza to test dairy, be sure you test non-gluten grains first, so if you have a reaction, you know what caused it.  The baking powder likely contains corn, and the teff is a non-gluten grain.

Yes, definitely planning to test non-gluten grains on another day, by themselves. Thanks for your help!

Archived