First whole 30

lasmith6

Whole 30 #1

I have always struggled with my weight. I was a heavy child, then developed an eating disorder at age 15, with it becoming really severe by age 19-21. I was extremely thin. I met my husband and experienced a few years at a healthy weight with disordered eating still with me. As I healed mentally, the weight seemed to pile up as well, slowly, due to a few medical issues and my body not understanding that yes, I would eat tomorrow. When I got pregnant, I was a heavy (and dieting) 170, quite a bit on my 5'3" frame. I immediately stopped dieting but ate very cautiously and consciously, when I could eat. I gained 35-40 lbs, nonetheless, hormones and preeclampsia be damned. After birth, I of course lost a few pounds....only to gain it back as I was having trouble breastfeeding with IGT (low milk supply). In order to breastfeed my daughter, I had to maintain a high fat, high cal, oatmeal laden, diet with a medication and supplements. I gained for a total of 215. I became gluten and dairy free after my daughter had reactions. After seeing a GP and some testing, it was discovered that I was celiac, lactose intolerant, and having unspecified histamine reactions. I went paleo and experienced some weight loss (down to 180), slow but sure. With Christmas, I started to eat grain and sugar in copious amounts, gaining weight (185). I still find myself chained to the scale and negative thoughts regarding eating and my weight, but never any disordered actions. So arrived me at Whole 30. Why am I doing this? I want to see if I can stop some of the random histamine reactions I am having. I want to get in better shape to chase my spirited 16mo DD around. I want to be the healthiest I can be and at my set weight before we attempt conception again. I want to not hate my body. 

I am still breastfeeding. I work 30 hours a week as a therapist. I am kind "crunchy," and DIY/naturally oriented. I am working hard to learn Montessori, and teach my daughter using those methods. I use attachment parenting.

Start weight: 185

Day 1 (1/1/14)

B: 2 eggs/ 1 cup spinach/ sweet potato/ coconut milk/ coffee

L: canned (compliant) tuna/ sweet potato/broccoli

D: foil packs with grassfed hamburger, sweet potato, onions, carrots, cumin, coconut oil/warm red cabbage salad with homemade vinaigrette/ steamed broccoli

Snack: Apples in cold coconut milk and cinnamon, mint tea

The hit-by-a-train feeling (hangover stage?) hit me really hard last night. Took a tylonel so I could sleep. Still present but less so this morning. 

Plans to go to a museum with DD and a friend. Supposed to eat out afterwards. Words of wisdom?

Day 1 (1/1/14)

B: 2 eggs/ 1 cup spinach/ sweet potato/ coconut milk/ coffee

L: canned (compliant) tuna/ sweet potato/broccoli

D: foil packs with grassfed hamburger, sweet potato, onions, carrots, cumin, coconut oil/warm red cabbage salad with homemade vinaigrette/ steamed broccoli

Snack: Apples in cold coconut milk and cinnamon, mint tea

The hit-by-a-train feeling (hangover stage?) hit me really hard last night. Took a tylonel so I could sleep. Still present but less so this morning. 

Plans to go to a museum with DD and a friend. Supposed to eat out afterwards. Words of wisdom?

Your day 1 looks good.

- Did you have a healthy fat at lunch?

- For snacks, design them to be a mini-meal, including a protein and fat. Have fruit as part of or immediately after one of your main meals.

- Are you staying sufficiently hydrated? Aim for drinking water, in the amount of at least half your body weight in ounces, daily.

For eating out, I find the best choice can be a dry grilled bunless burger or steak with a side salad or steamed vegetables. Bring your own compliant dressing. Drink water, sparkling water, black tea or black coffee.

Good Luck with your Whole30.

I'd recommend putting away your scale for the month (throwing it out wouldn't be a bad idea either  :) ) and try to forget about all your weight concerns. Just focus on eating lots of good, healthy food for the next month.

Thanks- I did have a healthy fat for lunch, I drizzled some olive oil over broccoli (that's just how my DH likes it, and its grown on me)

I noticed as I wrote, that I need protein in snack, boiled some eggs and cooking some chicken legs today (I cook, then freeze individually).

Water is a struggle. Consciously working on it. :-)

I'm trying to throw out the scale. I swear. Its not just a matter of mind over body. Its more complicated that that. I can go in depth later. Its one of the last things I can't seem to beat. 

Today was good, made a few mistakes, learning from them. 

B: 1 egg, 2 bowls of warm cabbage salad

L: out, very late 2pm, asian restaurant, plain cooked chicken with broccoli, steamed carrots, apple chips

D: chicken leg, baked sweet potato with coconut milk, steamed cauliflower with a drizzle of olive oil, frozen green beans, homemade applesauce

Good things: the restaurant was more than happy to work with me.

Learning experiences: I waited WAYY too long to eat. I started feeling lightheaded and dizzy. I ate breakfast before 8, lunch at 2. nursing in between. Too long for me. Really had to fight against bad choices. Also, I was still hungry after lunch! It was hardly any food once they took away the rice (actually, my DD ate it). I need to pack an emergency snack. I got back in the car and killed homemade dehydrated apples. I'm not so sure about those carrots. They were super sweet to me, though not in a sauce or syrup. I was assured that they were plain, so I ate just a small bit. maybe the variety of carrots, maybe not. Maybe I'm paranoid. 

Need to drink more water.

I missed a couple days due to lack of internet access.

Friday, day 3:

B: 3 eggs, cauliflower, coffee with coconut milk

L: roasted chicken leg, 2 cups mixed cauliflower, green beans, and broccoli, ~1-1.5 cups mashed sweet potato with cinnamon and coconut milk (delicious!)

S: boiled egg, coffee, coconut milk, dehydrated apples

D: venison/cabbage dish (see below), 2+ cups sweet potato with cinnamon and coconut milk, steamed green beans

on-the-fly recipe turned out really good. I ate a shameful amount of this, solely because it was that good!

I cooked 1lbs ground venison in coconut oil, seasoned with red pepper, salt, and cumin. When almost done, added 1/2 large head sliced red cabbage and 1 sliced onion to skillet. I coked until vension done, but cabbage still firm. I added 1 can diced tomatoes, cooking 5 mins more covered. WOW. 

Saturday, day 4, wasn't as good of a day. I was out all day with my mom, who is supportive but doesn't get it. 

B: 3 eggs, 1/2 cup green beans, 1/2 cup cauliflower (both steamed), coffee with coconut milk

L: grilled chicken, fresh apples and grapes, pecan covered chicken (pecan meal, water, egg whites)

D; turkey, collard greens, sweet potato

S: leftover venison/cabbage dish 2. pecans, coffee, coconut milk

I could have avoided my 2nd snack. The almonds were a normal snack, after my daughter nursed I felt ravenous. The eating of leftovers was a result of being up way too long and too late. I got hungry where normally I wouldn't and gave in instead of going to bed. 

If I want to lose weight, I need to be more conscious of those things. 

Is there a time when weight loss starts? If I am to maximize weight loss potential, what do I need to do?

Is there a time when weight loss starts? If I am to maximize weight loss potential, what do I need to do?

This is different for everyone. If you had a lot of inflammation going into the program, "weight loss" might start on day 1. If you didn't, it could be the second week or the third or like me, month 2 or 3 when the weight loss starts in ernest.

To maximize weight loss potential, the most important thing is to forget about weight loss and follow the plan as written. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but we've been taught a lot of stuff about weight loss (like that eating less food will get you there, or less fat, etc) and that stuff was wrong. What you need to do is set up a healthy context for your body, where there isn't a lot of stress. That means making sure you have abundent nutrition (ALLLL the vegetables, generous portions of protein, etc) and good sleep and self-care (like dealing with stressors in your life, meditation if that works for you, gentle exercise, etc). It is in that healthy context that the weight starts to go.

Depending on how much you are nursing, cutting back on snacks might be a good idea--for non-nursing people, 3 meals per day is optimal and may help when compared to eating every few hours. You could give that a try for a few days and see how you feel?

B: 3 eggs scrambled in co, 1/2c steamed cut green beans, coffee w coconut cream, apple, 1/3 banana

L: chicken leg, 1 cup cut steamed gr beans, 2 bowls of soup: butternut onion garlic bone broth coconut milk garam masala, pomegranate seeds

d: flax coated Pollock (egg ground flax spices) 2+c baby cartots w co, cabbage sauteed in olive oil, lemon juice, coffee w coconut milk, apple w coconut milk,

Hoping the "eat all the food" will subside. Day 5 doing ok physically and emotionally. Just starving. Lots of energy.

Wholly batcrap batman- I've made a revelation. 

I'm a therapist. I deal with self destructive behaviors daily (substance abuse, self mutilation, eating disorders, etc).

The withdrawals and emotional reactions experienced by many are (much less but) similar to that experienced by someone stopping use of substances, self-mutilation, cutting, or other behavior. Perspective. This is an addiction. This is much easier than stopping opiates (for instance). 

I think the food eating is a huge addiction and there are a lot of research articles talking about how our brains are triggered by substances in foods.  I feel so much less personal shame now that I'm aware of how my body reacts to those foods.  If I eat clean, I don't seem to crave them.  I'm also a short person and the weight really shows on me.  A couple years ago I was in the obese zone, but now I'm not.  I'm still prone to big time inflammation and I still have trouble eating other foods in moderation so I like the structure of Whole30.  I can eat copious amounts and it doesn't have the ill effects on me that my off road eating does.  I also like what mismary said about having abundant nutrition.  If you can trust the process and let yourself eat the healthy foods without stressing over amounts, you will certainly feel better at the end of the month and by then you'll be better prepared energy wise to focus on the weight loss.

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I hope to get through this first whole30- I have a lot of food sensitivities that need to be addressed. 

B: 3 eggs scrambled in olive oil, ~1 cup mixed steamed baby carrots and green beans, 1 banana, coffee and coconut milk

L: 2 strawberries and 5-7 grapes, ~3 cups broccoli steamed; 1 can white tuna; 1 small sweet potato; coffee and coconut milk

D: soup my DH made from hamburger, green beans, carrots, onions, garlic, seasoning (2 large bowls, very brothy), 2 boiled eggs, 2 apples with coconut milk and cinnamon

No snacks today.

It is hard to get my water in. I know I absolutely need it, but I struggle when it is so cold out- its been below freezing all day (and I'm a southern girl)

continuing to feel better, though I am not exhausted or sleepy, I am lacking focus and motivation in other areas of my life. Mental exhaustion more than physical. Feeling overwhelmed- I feel like I've been doing this forever, but this is just the end of day 7. 

B: 3 eggs, scrambled in coconut oil, coffee with coconut milk, half a banana

L: ~3 cups broccoli, 1 can tuna, sweet potato ~1 cup, 1 apple

D: stir fry made with 1lb hamburger, 1 onion, 3 cups steamed broccoli, curry powder, 1/2 cup coconut milk (I ate about half), 3 cups steamed green beans, ~1.5 cups mashed sweet potato with coconut milk and cinnamon. coffee with coconut milk. 

That was quite the dinner: so you ate 1/2 lb hamburger and 6 cups of veggies?  It's a lot of veggies - how slowly/quickly did you eat, how did you feel when you were done? Satisfied? Overstuffed? Given you're breastfeeding, you have some latitude. Use the Whole30 to tune into when you feel satiated.

I'd like to see you get at least a cup of veggies in a breakfast: don't let fruit push veggies off your plate.

That was quite the dinner: so you ate 1/2 lb hamburger and 6 cups of veggies? 

Um, 1/2 lb of hamburger is in the template for me (2-palms) and for a breastfeeding mom I don't see that as an issue at all--especially if it was good quality grass-fed meat. The concern would come if you are feeling overstuffed, etc as Chris suggests. It is REALLY HARD to get over cultural concepts about how much we (humans, but especially women) should eat. Try to listen to your body (and not the voices in your head, LOL) and see what you really need in terms of quantity.

Um, 1/2 lb of hamburger is in the template for me (2-palms) and for a breastfeeding mom I don't see that as an issue at all--especially if it was good quality grass-fed meat. The concern would come if you are feeling overstuffed, etc as Chris suggests. It is REALLY HARD to get over cultural concepts about how much we (humans, but especially women) should eat. Try to listen to your body (and not the voices in your head, LOL) and see what you really need in terms of quantity.

Sorry if I wasn't clear: I don't see anything wrong with 1/2 lb of meat either. I was more clarifying the amount she ate as a preface to my next questions. 6 cups of veggies is more than the norm, but is fine if she is happily satiated.

My thoughts aren't terribly coherent today, please excuse me!

dude! that is a lot of veggies. I'm not measuring, guestimating, so maybe my guestimations are way off. I used to be pretty accurate- I could guess an amount and measure and it'd be just right. That was back when I calorie counted though, be if I over estimated, it was a good thing (because I was actually eating less, if that makes sense). 

Should I be measuring? Or does it seriously not matter?

The hamburger was def about 1/2 lb. It was good grassfed, actually. My DH bought conventional this week bc we just don't have the extra money this week (we are kinda poor, despite best efforts, and doing the best we can). 

I'm guessing that I overestimated on the veggies. I did feel slightly overfull (improvement from gorging on pasta), and made a mental note to avoid that. I tend to get really hungry at dinner and overeat. This has been a long term pattern for me, eating very little throughout the day in the past, and not being able to contain myself at dinner (which incidentally, is how I began binge/purge cycle in college, recovered now as far as that behavior). Once I returned to work, I had a similar problem except eating decent amounts (well, most of the time, unless the diet bug bit) but unless I snacked 4-5pm, overate at dinner. Trying not to snack with Whole 30. 

I took your advice to heart Chris: For breakfast today I had 3 eggs scrambled with a little over 1 cup frozen, thawed, squeezed (to remove water) spinach in coconut oil, topped with 1-2 tbsp fresh homemade hot salsa. And of course coffee and coconut cream. 

Best breakfast yet. 

We eat a stunning amount in our house so six cups of veggies doesn't sound too out there to me!  Last night we had some really good chocolate chili with spaghetti squash and spinach. We ate an entire spaghetti squash and almost a pound of spinach.  I knew last night that I was satiated.  My stomach felt just fine, but my mouth wanted something more - something sweet.  So I ate more chili and spinach and squash.  Definitely more than my body needed, but I know that in a week or so, that desire to keep eating will taper off and I'll start being content with that full (but not stuffed) feeling in my belly.   My two cents is no measuring or calorie counting.  It takes a lot of energy to cook and prepare the Whole30 foods and to get a hang of the template.  Enjoy them and let your body learn how to be nourished by them.   I'm trying not to snack this time.  It's hard.

Should I be measuring? Or does it seriously not matter?

It's more important that you tune into your satiety and not overeat. Use the meal template as a guideline for the minimum of what to eat, and go from there.

Nice breakfast! Way to go!  :D

Day 8, Dinner:

foil packs with 6oz ground venison, 10 baby carrots, tsp evoo, spices

1+ cups steamed green beans drizzled with evoo

4 oz mushrooms (cooked down to around 1/2 cup), sauteed in evoo with 3 cloves of garlic and spices

1/2 banana

not stuffed tonight like last night.

Day 9:

B: 3 eggs scrambled in CO with ~2/3 cup spinach, coffee with coconut milk

L: roasted chicken leg, ~1.5 cups green beans with evoo drizzled on

D: quiche-like dish made with 2/3 cup chopped turkey, 3 eggs, 1 tbsp coconut milk, 1 cup green beans, and spices; 15-20 steamed baby carrots; 1 apple

Day 10: 

B: 3 eggs scrambled in CO, coffee with coconut milk (I know, no veggies, I rushed out the door and didn't even think, until now, almost 10:30am, and I'm starving.

L: ~2/3 cup turkey chunks, ~12 baby carrots steamed, 1 apple, 1 boiled egg, coffee with coconut cream- and I'm starving here at 2pm. 

D: taco salad: 6oz cooked hamburger seasoned with homemade taco seasoning, 1/2 bag frozen peppers and onions, cooked, a large place of lettuce, 1/2 avocado; 1 large sweet potato; 1 apple with coconut milk; coffee with coconut milk

Hungry after the first 2 meals, and seemed like I ate tons for dinner, but not stuffed in the least. 

Day 11: 

B: 3 eggs, 2/3 cup frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed; 1/3 cup diced tomatoes; ~7 steamed baby carrots

L: handful of diced chicken and turkey in a lettuce wrap with 1/6 avocado; 2 cups broccoli with drizzled olive oil, ~8 steamed baby carrots with co and cinnamon; banana

D: soup made with venison, tomatoes, broccoli, carrots, onions, bone broth, spices; sweet potato bars (1 cup pureed sweet potatoes, 4 eggs, tbsp CO, cinnamon, 2 tbsp apple cider, makes 4). 

Archived