Sweet potatoes (microwavable)

Erin16

Hi guys, day 2 of my first whole 30 woo!  Question re sweet potatoes - you know how you can buy microwavable sweet potatoes where you pop them in the microwave for 6-7 minutes?  Are those any different from "regular" sweet potatoes?

Why buy "microwavable sweet potatoes" when you can microwave the real thing?  Microwaving is how I always cook my sweet potatoes: small ones take ~4 minutes and larger ones 8-10 minutes.  

Sounds like a marketing ploy to me ...

Ha potentially, but do you know what I'm talking about?  The microwavable ones are in the same area as the "regular" ones (at least they are in my grocery store).  I actually eat them all the time regularly but just didn't know if they are looked at any differently in terms of being on Whole 30. They could be an easy thing for me to bring to the office for lunch and dinner (I regularly eat both lunch at dinner at work sadly). 

I have seen "microwavable sweet potatoes" (a co-worker used to bring them for lunch occasionally). They are a regular sweetpotato that has been shrink-wrapped with some sort of heavy duty plastic. The sweet potato steams inside the plastic, however, microwaving a regular sweet potato in the skin would have exactly the same "steaming" effect. These are not prohibited during a whole30. Personally, I would rather not eat vegetables that have been microwaved in contact with plastic, so I would go with a regular "naked" sweet potato and just microwave that for 6-7 minutes.

MissMary - yes that's what I'm talking about!  Ok, I seriously had no idea that you could microwave a "regular" sweet potato.  I thought that you had to bake them to get the same effect which is why I always bought the ones in the plastic.  Thanks for the info!! 

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators

Use regular ones - pierce and place in Ziploc bag but do not seal - cook for about 4 minutes for small to med size - comes out perfect

I would worry about microwaving anything in a plastic bag.

I just pierce, wrap in a couple layers of papertowel and then wet the whole thing, squeeze out the excess and nuke it for 6-7 minutes.  However.....I find that baking them is so much nicer.

Since you're not eating the skin due to its phytates and their impact on your mineral absorption, the bisphenol-A that leeches through the skin from plastics in a few minutes would be insignificant.  So says some guy on a website, your mileage may vary.  I recently read a nutrition book that told me to throw out all my plastics, but when he said he only eats with his hands, I sensed a lack of gravity.  This, from someone who uses aluminum free antiperspirant and fluoride free toothpaste...

I pull out a sheet of plastic wrap 3 times the length of the potato then roll it from one of the uncut/side edges to the other, then fold the extra wrap under when I find a flat spot on the potato.  That's after wetting and scrubbing them.  The resulting pouch is flexible enough to expand without popping and steams the potato inside.  I find that letting microwaves hit potatoes directly turns them into packing material, although I am going to try shanny's method and maybe learn something today.

• Administrators

Since you're not eating the skin due to its phytates and their impact on your mineral absorption, the bisphenol-A that leeches through the skin from plastics in a few minutes would be insignificant.  So says some guy on a website, your mileage may vary.  I recently read a nutrition book that told me to throw out all my plastics, but when he said he only eats with his hands, I sensed a lack of gravity.  This, from someone who uses aluminum free antiperspirant and fluoride free toothpaste...

I pull out a sheet of plastic wrap 3 times the length of the potato then roll it from one of the uncut/side edges to the other, then fold the extra wrap under when I find a flat spot on the potato.  That's after wetting and scrubbing them.  The resulting pouch is flexible enough to expand without popping and steams the potato inside.  I find that letting microwaves hit potatoes directly turns them into packing material, although I am going to try shanny's method and maybe learn something today.

Your posts always teach me something!

I know that we should peel standard potatoes, but do sweet potatoes really fall under that guidance?  I love the skin.  I'll stop eating it if I should.........

The latest guidance I read is that a sweet potato has enough nutrition that it outweighs the anti-nutrients in the skin.  However, it only takes 50 milligrams of phytic acid to shut down your iron absorption to 10% of the already 30% of animal-sourced iron and 15% of vegetable sourced iron, and limit zinc, copper, magnesium, phosphorus and calcium uptake by over half.

Phytic acid bonds to minerals and turns them into something your small intestine can't recognize as valuable.  Give yourself enough minerals to outweigh and while a calorie isn't a calorie, math is math, and a nutrient dense food can counteract the anti-nutrients of potato skin.  Once all the phytic acid is paired up and chelated into mini erector sets, the rest of the minerals are freely available to build strong bodies 12 ways.

This is probably one of those areas where I go overboard with no need.  I don't eat the skins, but the experts say they're fine in the company of a mineral rich meal knowing that you are certain to reduce the mineral benefit of the meal but not to the point of net zero gain.

I'm still recovering from dough life and very mildly iron deficiency anemic so this is one of my focus areas.  Maybe I preach too loudly.

• Administrators

Interesting and well explained.  I don't think you preach too loudly at all, you're very knowledgeable!  I think I'll leave my peel on or take it off as the wind blows, sometimes yes, sometimes no.  

Thanks for explaining!

Archived