Rescue Remedy

Vian

My mom recently reminded me about Bach's Rescue Remedy. She recieved a new product for christmas from a coworker - Bach's Rescue Remedy Pastilles. They are little candy drops infused with rescue remedy. I've been experiencing anxiety for months now, and while it's gotten better with regular dosing of Magnesium, I still have symptoms regularly. Basically, it feels like I'm having a heart attack - I get chest pain and a tight, warm feeling down my left arm. Rescue Remedy also comes in a tincture drop. The pastilles have sugar and artificial sweetener in them, and the tincture has alcohol. I think they also have an alcohol-free glycerine-based drop, but I don't really like the idea of consuming glycerine, which is a by-product of refining crude oil.

Of these 3 options, would any of them be compatible with a whole30? 

I'm interested to see what the mods have to say on this.  For myself, both the alcohol and the sugar/sweetener would be out.  They market the non-alcoholic one as "Pet" formula.  Glycerine may not be an optimum ingredient, but I'm not sure it wouldn't be a better choice than the other two.

What say the mods?

Do you think it actually helps? (sincere question!) Before I had ever heard of whole30, I got some of the rescue remedy gum, and didn't notice any effect so I dropped it. I have a had a co-worker who swore by using essential oils at the temples for a similar calming sort of effect, so maybe that would be worth a try?

Here is an example: http://www.aveda.com/product/5211/21949/Body/Tension-Relief/stress-fix-concentrate/index.tmpl

Since you don't ingest it, it's approved for whole30. :)  You could probably diy with lavender essential oil or a blend of your preference.

I've never taken it before personally, but my mom swears by it. So I guess that because it's not prescribed by my doctor, It's not one of those medical things that trumps whole30 rules? Also, the serving on the tincture is 4 drops, so it's a negligible amount of alcohol (yes, I know, even drops of alcohol are technically out on a whole30)

yeah, I don't think this one meets the bar of "medically prescribed" 

I don't mean to offend, but I suspect this works because it causes the user to take a breath/stop whatever they are doing and its helps them feel like they can do something about their anxiety, not because it has any material effect on anxiety. does that make sense? the essential oil option is similar, maybe more so, since the scent naturally causes one to breathe in and slow down.

sorry you are feeling anxious. that's no fun, but it seems like a good opportunity to try a few different approaches to address it when it occurs.

Well, I'm not a moderator, but I absolutely believe in the efficacy of medicinal herbs and homeopathics. I think Rescue Remedy works, and I think since you would be taking it medicinally, you should be allowed to have it, whether or not somebody with an MD behind her name prescribed it. Few MDs would even be able to prescribe it, since so few of them have studied anything but Western medicine. Homeopathic medicines like Rescue Remedy work on a vibrational level that is beyond the physical.

While it's definitely not up to us to decide what does and doesn't work, the moderator team is here to comment on what is and isn't compliant with the rules. If we made an exception for every herbal remedy that folks find helpful, the Whole30 rules would go out the window and the effectiveness of the program (not to mention it's integrity) would be in question.  Bottom line: It's only 30 days. The essential oils approach MissMary mentioned would be a great option during a Whole30!  

Archived