Whole30 to ring in the New Year....

Julie Sassaman

Thanks Julie, yeah I have that template that I going by :) I once again did not sleep well...so ready to sleep, lol!! But Day 5 is here and I am ready to rock it :) have a great day! Oh and if you want to see what I am eating I have a topic named Day 4 you can check out an give me ideas :)

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am kind of feeling 'icky' today. I have had heartburn off and on and an upset stomach. The sausage and eggs I had for breakfast are things I've had before, so I'm not sure what to think. I started to feel a little better, so I just made a hamburger and topped it with a good dollop of mayo, some dijon, lettuce and red peppers. Now I'm feeling kind of icky again. Even though I am patiently waiting for the Tiger Blood, I hope this feeling has something to do with my W30 and that I am not starting to get sick! :( On a positive note, I can tell my energy is better than it was before I started this journey. :)

I made shepard's pie and although the meat mixture was really good (and I added a touch of fish sauce Kryztle!), the cauliflower topping was way too garlicky! Cauliflower clearly takes on flavors easier than potatoes! Today has been a kind of blah day for me, but I'm hoping for a more upbeat tomorrow. I'm still not even close to hitting my water recommendation, but I keep trying! I'm pretty tired tonight, but not in a bad way. I can't believe it's been 8 days. It seems like it has flown by. Only one more week and I'll be at the halfway mark!! :)

I have to get that boat sauce!! Do you like it? I want to try making a shepherds pie!! That sounds so good! Hope you are feeling better...I am getting a cold, boo on that! No one has time for that, lol! I am so so tired but have tons of energy if that makes any sense lol...I am making an acorn squash tomorrow an excited but nervous bc I have never made any sort of squash! I also found grass fed hamburger at Meijers for 1/2 what I am paying at Co-op, that made my day!! I was seriously doing a dance in the store!! Get to feeling better Julie!

I did like the fish sauce! I didn't use too much, but I could tell it was there, but only faintly. I added it to a recipe that didn't call for any, so that is why I only used a little....just in case! Now I want to find a recipe that does call for it so I can see how it tastes when it is an actual ingredient. I'm sorry you are getting a cold.....I don't suppose it's just the carb flu is it? I would have been doing a major happy dance if I were you too over that kind of price difference! I don't think I've ever had acorn squash, and my only experience with it is watching my grandmother drown it in brown sugar and butter. I'm not a huge fan of squash, but I am learning how to eat it! And your statement of being tired but having tons of energy makes perfect sense!! I couldn't have said it better myself....that is exactly how I've felt for the last couple days! It is so great to know we are rocking this! Feel better soon! :D

As I stated yesterday, I was feeling kind of yucky. When I went to bed last night, I was a little restless as I lay there, I started to feel kind weird and then I started to feel anxious. Needless to say I didn't get my 7 hours in, but has anybody else dealt with this? I also had some Natural Calm in some tea before I went to bed. I'm not sure what to think, maybe low blood sugar? I'm having a harder time getting in as many veggies as I should this time, so I'm fairly low-carb, but I'm ok with that. (Not the shortage of veggies, the low-carb!) Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks, and good morning!! :)

Julie I slept a little better last night but woke up with a bad head ache and sore throat/cough...don't think it's the carb flu?? Not sure though, lol! My head is pounding so I took a sick day (actually my boss made me take one because she said I sound like crap, I never call in!!) I could barely eat my breakfast but made myself eat it! It was hard...how was your shepherds pie? That had a ton of veggies, right?

Yay for better sleep Kryztle!! I'm sorry about the headache and other un-fun stuff going on. :( The shepherd's pie was good but I put waaaaaay too much garlic in the cauliflower topping! I finally had to scrape it off as it was burning my throat in the back in a very unpleasant way, and I actually like spicy foods! I think the cauliflower just takes on other flavors really well. Lesson learned! I didn't sleep well and I'm not feeling so hot today myself, but I think part of it is mental. I am starting to crave things a little bit and that makes me want to SCREAM not so nice words! ;) I'm still bloated, so I suppose I am definitely following the timeline. The next 4 days are the days I faltered on my last three attempts. So I think I'm a little anxious and just a touched depressed right now too. But with my ninja skills, I will stay the course! :ph34r:

I finally mustered up the ability to make myself eat something around noon instead of breakfast. I made a three-egg omelete with kale, onions, and peppers. It was really good. I think I prefer kale over spinach when they are cooked. Water intake is embarrassingly bad today, but I am trying! I hope this phase passes soon. SOON. :wacko:

Ninja skills do come in handy.  Who would have known they'd show up in this setting!

The timeline makes me feel better.  I can realize my husband is not purposely being horrible and nor am I, but this an interestingly hard part of the 30 days.  I'm tired of making food, yet thankful I don't want to eat differently.  I'm tired of thinking about food, but it does nourish me and I feel better after.  I made hardboiled eggs to help carry me through the cravings.  They aren't as good as some other things I can imagine, but they help me.  Stay the course and slay those dragons.

Thanks Emma! Sometimes just the fact that someone else knows what you're going through and takes the time to lend their support, helps A LOT. I am in complete agreement about the timeline. Sometimes I feel like I'm going crazy, then I check that out and I'm like, "oh yeah. That's right"! Makes me feel better as well. This is definitely the hardest part of the W30 (in my opinion anyway).

Who would have thought we'd be ninjas and dragon slayers?! ;)

You are the second person that I seen write that they added to much garlic to their cauliflower..lol!! So I will not use a lot, thanks for the heads up! Girl...I'm still sticking to this but I feel like heck today :( I don't know if it's the flu coming on or what! Usually I would have doses myself up on meds but forgot that, I don't want to start allover!! LoL!! You are doing wonderful and a reason why I am stickin to this, I can't let my inspirational friend from Fl down :) we can both do this!!! Tomorrow is my week 1...holy cow! It's went by fast!!

Every once in a while it will feel like this is taking a long time, but then just like you said, you're already at a week! YAAAAAAYYYYY!!!!!! Everyone won't match up on the timeline exactly, it's definitely just a guide. But sometimes, it keeps us sane, even if we aren't exactly on the same timeline with our own bodies! I have been feeling a little down the last couple of days, but your posts always perk me up when I read them. So you are quite inspiring yourself!! We both are doing sooooo good. I only wish I would have utilized these boards with my last three W30's......but live and learn. :)  Definitely get some rest.....your body is telling you to! ;)

Julie I know you're coming up on your Danger Days. Don't let your brain psych you out! You can totally do this, just make your plans and excecute them! If your brain starts whispering, just say "yes, dear, but this time I'm finishing" and let it whisper! 

Thanks misshannah....I'm sure not trying to psych myself out and I hope all the support I am getting here will help keep those noises at bay! And I'm good at back-talking according to my mother so I have no problem tell my brain to hush-up for a bit. ;)

After not eating until noon, I slowly started to feel better. I'm still feeling a little yucky, but I was just able to eat dinner without wanting to push it to the side. I made a meatloaf with the spicy sausage I made the other day mixed with ground beef, baby red, orange, and yellow bell peppers, green peppers, onion, and two big handfuls of chopped kale. Salt, pepper, garlic powder, and two eggs to bind it all....it was really good. I might pureé a litte celery and carrot next time to see if that will make it a little less dry, or maybe add a little coconut milk. I had an apple with it.

So over all I am feeling a little better, but could really use a good night's sleep like most of my other partners in crime on here!

Stay Whole30 my friends..... :rolleyes:

I had a hard time falling asleep last night, but I managed to get in at least 6 hours or so of not-so-restful sleep. When I woke up I had back pain on the side of my back. It seems to be subsiding, but it was definitely weird! I don't feel as yucky today, and I was actually hungry by 8 am or so. I made a sweet potato hash with the leftover meat filling from my shepherd's pie and topped it with a couple of fried eggs. I used coconut oil for the fat. It is really tasty! Today is the first day of my so-called ''dreaded days", but I am feeling pretty good. My baby boy also turns 7 today, which makes tonight taco night. I LOVE taco night. But I will be having taco salad night myself! ;) Only 20 more days to go, I can hardly believe it! I'm looking forward to getting past these next few challenging days and onto the tiger blood baby!

So, I have noticed today that my skin is becoming a little more dry than in the first few days of my W30 and my mouth is really dry off and on. Is this normal? I kind of feel like I'm spinning my wheels a little because I feel alright, then I feel like crap, then I feel alright again. It is REALLY frustrating. And I'm still way more bloated than I ever was for my W30's by this time. I hope someone out there has a little insight! :)  Thanks!

So today is my Day 10. And it's not enough that I'm anxious about it, it had to be a truly crappy day on top of it. First, I feel like I'm on Day 2 for some reason, next I bought tablet the other day for homework purposes, and it didn't work. I took it back today, exchanged it....still didn't work. Then I had to run all over looking for something, which we all know is never really fun. The icing on the cake though was my oldest son's (locked up) bike was stolen right off of school grounds today (school was out, he stayed after to talk with a teacher, but still....). So I drove around for an hour looking for it, to no avail. There were a couple other little annoying things, but I think I have been negative enough!

The taco salad I am eating is pretty good, but I really, REALLY wanted to fry up a corn tortilla and load it up with meat, cheese, sour cream, and pico de gallo.....*sigh*

I am usually a very upbeat person, but I feel a little 'kicked-while-I'm-down' right now. I have stayed totally compliant today despite having cravings and ending up fairly hungry right before dinner. It's amazing the psychological hold that food has over us. But I will overcome! Stay strong friends.

Oh no girl!! Think of it like this, atleast you aren't tied down with swine flu and able to breathe (even though you feel horrible and it probably feels like it can't get any worse, it really can unfortunately )... You are almost to your half way mark, be proud of yourself because I don't even know you and I am SO proud of you!!!! Many people have tried this and want to try it but are scared...you are doing it!!! That's a huge pat on your back :)

Archived