Starting January 9, anyone want to join?

CGinDC

I'm starting my second Whole30 this Thursday, January 9. My first one went well until the reintroduction stage - I was traveling in Africa and it was impossible to control things. I am doing the Whole30 again to see if I can get my joint inflammation back down - at the end of my first one I had completely eliminated the NSAID that I've been taking twice a day for the last eight years. I've been using curcumin to manage the inflammation, but as I've gotten more lax I've needed to add the NSAID back in every couple of days.

I'm not looking forward to carb withdrawal, that stage sucked! But I am looking forward to more energy and better sleep once that stage is done. Hoping there are others starting this Thursday that will want to join in!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 1 is today. So far I've had:

breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs, roasted broccoli, half an acorn squash, black coffee

lunch: roast pork butt, broccoli and squash

I will have to get used to eating more veggies again - I almost couldn't finish the broccoli on my plate. I just start to feel like I'm a cow chewing cud (thanks to a friend who gave me that mental image). I think tonight I'll have more roast pork with either brussels sprouts or cauliflower. Or maybe I'll go ahead and roast both and have a little of each for variety.

Too soon to see any effects/changes, but I did notice something since my last Whole 30. I've had a ganglion cyst the size of a large pea on my hand for about 10 years. I completed my first Whole30 in November and have been avoiding gluten ever since. And the cyst is almost gone! Interesting.

My husband and I started our first Whole30 today!  I'd love to join your "group".

My day has been LOTS of water (nursing mom), a beef/spinach/onion frittata for breakfast, a "taco" salad for lunch and I'm getting ready to make up a batch of tomato sauce with meat, a spaghetti squash, and some chicken for dinner.

I'm not sure what my husband's meals looked like, but he promised to order just meat and veggies for lunch and dinner since his work is ordering both for him today.

Now I have to get serious about meal planning and stocking our fridge/pantry with lots of food.

Welcome to the group! So far it's a group of one, but a friend of mine is doing the Whole30 with me so I'll see if i can rope her in to posting. I found that posting my meals kept me honest so I'm going to try to be better about it this time around.

I roasted a giant pork butt so I've been eating that for a couple days now - had it for lunch and dinner today. It's really good so I'm not getting sick of it yet. I also roasted brussels sprouts with a little pork belly and cauliflower with cumin, so those are rounding out my meal tonight, and I have plenty of leftovers for tomorrow.

I want to make a frittata for breakfast but I have hard boiled eggs I should eat before I make anything else. I like hard boiled eggs most of the time but after a while they get kind of boring. Not sure I have the energy tonight to do more cooking too - maybe tomorrow.

Day 1 - tomorrow Jan 10. I only discovered the whole30 program today and thought I could make today Day 1, but the turkey soup I had for leftover lunch was made with chicken broth that had some sugar in it. And I want to do this 100%. I been mostly paleo since Jan. 1 (a couple nights I had a cookie in the evening). But I find it is getting easier. This is the first diet I've ever been on that isn't about losing weight. I've been struggling with asthma symptoms this year and have just gotten so tired of all the coughing and tightness in my chest and just overall feeling crappy. After searching the net for some answers, I came across a blog about a guy who cured his asthma just by going paleo. I thought I'd give it a try and I can't believe how it's cleared up in only the week I've been doing this. I'm hooked. And if I happen to lose a few pounds in the process, I'm not going to complain. So if you don't mind me being one day behind you, I'd love to join your group.

I started yesterday....... But can I join your group anyway?! 

Today went better than yesterday.  I didn't pack a big enough lunch yesterday and ended up being at work and appointments longer than expected so I was hungry all day.  You will notice I have an addiction to eggs throughout our time together...  I probably couldn't do whole30 if I had to give them up ;)

Today's meals were:

Breakfast - 3 eggs fried in coconut oil, packed to work as I got called into work early which meant I had to leave 10 minutes after I woke up.

I also had a fruit cup with apple, pineapple, cantaloupe and honey dew melon with my herbal tea... I suppose this is a snack.

Lunch - 2 poached eggs, 4 slices organic bacon, half an orange

Snack when I got home from work was 2 slices organic bacon and about 1/2 cup egg white, and a banana

Dinner - taco salad made with ground beef fried with some coconut oil, then seasoned with a homemade seasoning mix on top of some organic romaine, organic tomato and organic avocado, drizzled the romaine with lemon juice, and another banana

Today was hell for me, sugar and carb (bread!) cravings beyond belief.  To be expected I suppose, I do love my carbs even though I don't normally eat much sugar at all.  Watched colleagues eat bread, fancy Starbucks drinks, and every other unhealthy thing on earth too, clearly didn't help!

Hope your guy's first day went better than my second!

Bridgette

I started yesterday....... But can I join your group anyway?! 

Today went better than yesterday.  I didn't pack a big enough lunch yesterday and ended up being at work and appointments longer than expected so I was hungry all day.  You will notice I have an addiction to eggs throughout our time together...  I probably couldn't do whole30 if I had to give them up ;)

Today's meals were:

Breakfast - 3 eggs fried in coconut oil, packed to work as I got called into work early which meant I had to leave 10 minutes after I woke up.

I also had a fruit cup with apple, pineapple, cantaloupe and honey dew melon with my herbal tea... I suppose this is a snack.

Lunch - 2 poached eggs, 4 slices organic bacon, half an orange

Snack when I got home from work was 2 slices organic bacon and about 1/2 cup egg white, and a banana

Dinner - taco salad made with ground beef fried with some coconut oil, then seasoned with a homemade seasoning mix on top of some organic romaine, organic tomato and organic avocado, drizzled the romaine with lemon juice, and another banana

Today was hell for me, sugar and carb (bread!) cravings beyond belief.  To be expected I suppose, I do love my carbs even though I don't normally eat much sugar at all.  Watched colleagues eat bread, fancy Starbucks drinks, and every other unhealthy thing on earth too, clearly didn't help!

Hope your guy's first day went better than my second!

Bridgette

Watch the fruit. It's 1-2 servings a day, where a serving is the size of your fist. Have fruit only as part of or immediately after a meal.

Be sure every meal has vegetables: aim for 1-3 cups per meal.

Check your bacon to confirm it's compliant: no sugar or other nasties.

Best of luck on your next 28 days!

I'm here -- finally! The first day went well although I think I looked like a sad puppy when my partner had toast with speculoos spread as a treat after dinner. And I am already obsessing about cupcakes. I'm reading lots of paleo food blogs and planning meals to keep my motivated and excited about food/eating.

I'm also terrified of the sugar withdrawal. I woke up this morning thinking I had a bit of a headache, but I'm not sure if that's psychosomatic.

I had a headache last night and also feared withdrawal, but it seems okay today.

I have a bit of a crazy day at work today so finding time to eat lunch might be hard. I'm not quite hungry yet but I have to leave for a meeting in half an hour, and if I don't eat now it'll be 3:30 before I have lunch. That's a bit late.

Breakfast today was 2 hard boiled eggs and a whole acorn squash roasted with ghee. Lunch will be pork shoulder (I know, too much pork...I'm having something different tonight) with roasted cauliflower and brussels sprouts. The BF is making dinner but he knows the drill from last time I did the Whole30, so I shouldn't have a problem there.

I'm on my way home from the ski hill and boy am I craving. I'm so physically tired and my mind is thinking a cookie would sure give me a boost of energy.

Today was scrambled eggs and a pear for breakfast, a big salad with homemade Caesar dressing, some roast beef and an apple for lunch. I had a mid afternoon snack of a few carrot sticks and some coconut. And now on the way home I just had another snack of veggies and some roast beef and a piece of coconut. I feel like I've snacked too much today, but I'm actually hungry, so is that ok? Supper will be later - spaghetti squash with ground beef and homemade paleo spaghetti sauce.

Today was rough.  My son was in a mood and did not want to let me eat much at any point in time so when I did find a moment to eat it was pretty rushed, so not the type of meal that I would like to eat generally.

M1 - leftover frittata from yesterday with a very small glass of OJ.

M2 - Romaine lettuce salad with chicken breast.  Dressing was lemon juice and a little bit of zest.  I still felt hungry so I had a the next time my son gave me a break

M3 - leftover speghetti squash, chicken and meat sauce.  I also had one pineapple chunk to

I also just pulled a pumpkin sufflee from a recipe that I found in the forums under a "something other than eggs for breakfast" type post.  Going to try that tomorrow.

Besides my son being rough (he is only four-months, so it is expected) I had a craving for potato chips.  Strange as I don't normally eat potato chips.  So I was thinking about it and I think there were possibly two contributing factors to the craving. 1) I had not had anything "crunchy" to eat in a few days.  I like to have varying textures in my food and most of the food that I've eaten this year has not had that crunch that I guess I was looking for and 2) I think I needed something salty to eat.  I managed to just drink a big glass of water and work through it, so it was a win.  Although I found some Hersey kisses from Christmas and I have some buckeyes that seem to be calling my name...

I'm out. :(   I need to do a different type of reset in my system right now.  The past three days (I had a Whole30 dinner the night before we started) I've woken up with majorly low blood sugar.  This morning I became physically sick due to how low it became.  No, I'm not diabetic or anything like that, but I know the symptoms pretty well since my famly was on the board of the diabeties association when I was growing up.  The comination of being an EBFing mom to a four-month old and getting up four+ times a night still to feed him has left me physcally weak and sick.  My husband is going to continue on the program so most of my meals will be compliant, but I'm going to have to do some experimentation to make sure I'm getting enough calories for both me and my son before I can do a Whole30 without cheating.  Best of luck to the rest of the group.  May you be very successful.  Next time I should be able to succeed.

Day 3, oh Day 3. I have had a persistent dull headache for 24 hours. But unlike my usual low blood sugar, hangry headaches, my brain isn't foggy. Weird to have pretty clear thinking with a headache. 

And I have been so thirsty. I have been chugging water as if I were hiking though the desert for the past two days. Is anyone else having that reaction?

Food is also starting to taste differently. I had an apple sliced up and sprinkled with cardamon today. I never before realized how many spicy undertones that cardamon has. 

I also find myself daydreaming about potato chips. 

And my digestive system is moving slower than usual. I attribute that to eating much more protein. I hope my body regulates itself soon. 

JMLo, I commend you for listening to your body and making the judgment that this might not be the right time for Whole30. Breastfeeding a little one is a full time job. I'm not a mom, and I'm struggling with sticking to the plan. I can't imagine trying to do it while taking care of the needs of a wee one! 

I've also had a headache all day, however that isn't really anything new to me and I wouldn't be able to say if it's from the sugar and other nasties deprivation or just leftover concussion stuff still.

I have been extremely thirsty as well jdindc, especially come the afternoon and even when I wake up during the night, which is odd for me.  I do drink lots of water, but I think it will be upped!  That apple with cardamom sounds delish, I've only ever put cinnamon on my apples, however I am experimenting with new spices now :)

I have noticed my energy levels seem to be better, and so far I'm quite happy.  Except for when my lunch got interrupted at work yesterday and I had to run out to help with something before getting to remicrowave and eat the remainder of lunch... That made me hangry for sure!

And.... the only fruit today was a very small banana as part of my breakfast, I hadn't actually found the actual meal plan until the night of day 2, although it probably wouldn't have helped much with my eating on day 2 anyway as my work schedule got changed wrecking any food prep plans so I was stuck eating out mostly.  I'm learning (QUICKLY) better planning and less fruit :D

Happy day 3 everyone! (day 4 for me)

Day 2 for me. I'm so surprised I made it through the day. I had so many cravings today. I'm sure I would have caved to at least a piece of sugar free gum had there been some in my purse as I was watching my sons soccer game. Glad there wasn't and by the time it was over it was supper time. Steak with mushrooms and onion, sweet potato and spaghetti squash. That hit the spot and I've been able to make is till now. And I'm heading to bed so I got day 2 down.

I seem to find doing this whole30 program so much harder than the "mostly" paleo I was doing in the week leading up to it. I guess I relied too much on my artificially sweetened coffee and gum to get me thru those tempting times.

I struggle too with limiting my fruit - fills that sweet spot. But I did make it thru today with only two.

Hoping those cravings will just diminish more and more the longer I'm in this.

Sleep tight All :)

Day 4 is almost through. This was by far the hardest day for me the last time around - I had such a horrible headache and was so groggy that I actually left work early, cam home, and slept for 3 hours in the middle of the afternoon. Day 4 is precisely why I chose to start the second one on a Thursday, so that the worst days fell on the weekend!

I'm happy to report that the withdrawal has not been nearly as bad this time around. I don't know if it's because I've been more mindful of eating quality food since my first Whole30 in October, or if it's because I don't have as much crap built up in my system since the last one. Probably a combination of the two? I am a little tired but I just realized I forgot to take my thyroid medication this morning (I'm underactive), so that's probably part of the reason.

I spent today cooking with jdindc to have stuff ready for the week - I think it will be a big help to have things ready to go! We made egg muffins, zucchini fritters, a big pot of chili, roasted root vegetables, and mayo. I have oxtail stew simmering on the stove for dinner - I'm going to make either mashed plantains or mashed sweet potatoes to go with it.

Day 3 almost done and today was harder than yesterday. Just craving sugar so bad and I'm so tired. My husband and son are keeping me in check though when I was so tempted by the chocolate cake I've got in the freezer. I know I'll be happy tomorrow when I wake up and I'm still on track. CGinDc, did you make it through the whole 30 days last time? And if so, when did it finally start getting easier?

I made it through the whole 30 days, but my reintroductions were a mess. My worst day last time was day 4 by far, and it was rough. But by day 5 I was feeling a lot better. Still a little tired, but the headaches and crankiness had passed. So hang in there - you'll get through it!

I'm out. :(   I need to do a different type of reset in my system right now.  The past three days (I had a Whole30 dinner the night before we started) I've woken up with majorly low blood sugar.  This morning I became physically sick due to how low it became.  No, I'm not diabetic or anything like that, but I know the symptoms pretty well since my famly was on the board of the diabeties association when I was growing up.  The comination of being an EBFing mom to a four-month old and getting up four+ times a night still to feed him has left me physcally weak and sick.  My husband is going to continue on the program so most of my meals will be compliant, but I'm going to have to do some experimentation to make sure I'm getting enough calories for both me and my son before I can do a Whole30 without cheating.  Best of luck to the rest of the group.  May you be very successful.  Next time I should be able to succeed.

I'm sorry to hear you feel like you need to leave. From what I've seen you post of your food I don't think you are eating nearly enough for a breast feeding mama and surely enough starchy vegetables. If you still want to tap out that is your choice, but I would encourage you to eat when you are hungry and add more things like sweet potato, winter squash, etc to your diet. Maybe check out some of the posts in the breastfeeding/pregnant moms section. Even if you decide not to do a whole30 right now the closer you stick to it the easier it will be when you do decide the timing is right.

Thank all the gods, I think I have finally turned a corner. Woke up this morning without a headache, and I feel awesome. I don't know if changing my eating is what is making me feel so good or if it is simply being headache free. Also,  my digestive system seems to have righted itself, and I'm going regularly again. I think the ginger tea and kombucha I drank yesterday helped. I may have to make that a regular part of my diet.

Eaten so far today:

Morning: egg muffin, leftover pork and turnips and parsnips, 1/2 banana, coffee with coconut milk

Lunch: chicken salad with homemade mayo, green beans, mixed roasted root veggies, broccoli, an orange

Dinner tonight most likely will  be chili (thanks cgindc!) because I'm going to spin (feeling good enough to hit the gym!) and probably won't feel like cooking when I get home. 

I'm still thirsty all the time, but I think that's an indication that so many times when I think I'm hungry I am really just craving water. 

I am tired today, but that's because I didn't sleep well last night - have some big life changes in the works in my job and relationship, so there's a lot on my mind these days!

Breakfast was 3 egg muffins (they have spinach, pork belly, and scallions in them) and some roasted cauliflower, and two cups of black coffee. I need to remember to bring some coconut milk to work. Lunch was veggie & meat chili with a dollop of homemade mayo on top, and I finished off the roasted cauliflower. Tonight I will make The Best Chicken You Will Ever Eat from Well Fed, and will probably make green beans and a sweet potato to go with it.

Well I'm on day 6 today, and days 4 and 5 went extremely well for me!  I've been doing much much better with the fruit (one palm sized serving a day, with a meal).  I've been feeling great, good amount of energy and my back injury (severely herniated disc from Dec 2012) hasn't been bothering me nearly as much.  Hope everyone else is doing well! :)

Archived