Biggest Skeptic EVER!!

Lola

I have been the biggest Paleo Lifestyle skeptic... So reluctant to even read anything about it. Some of my friends have been living it for a couple of years now. I think the reason for my skepticism is that I'm 42 and have tried every single gimmick, program and fad diet since my late teens to rein in my wildly-out-of-control appetite. After every attempt I wound up still feeling hungry, and unable to control my cravings to the point that I would gain back all the weight I had lost.... and then some! Fast forward a couple decades, tack on a few lifestyle ailments(IBS, asthma, etc.), and there I sat having vehemently sworn off any and every fad diet plan, being unwilling to consider anything new because of my past experiences. I didn't want to make it any worse than my situation had become. Nothing works anyway, right? If you can't beat 'em, join 'em... I was on the fast track to self-destruction.

I am on day 3 of the Whole30! Are you supposed to notice changes after just 3 days? I know it's still early, but not even one craving?? No pangs of hunger between meals, and I'm talking hours after a meal?? I'm here because I have great friends who love me. ISWF was recommended to me by a friend, so I bought it for my Kobo. I devoured it, TWICE! It resonates with me on so many levels, every single light bulb in my head is turned on and tuned in. I bought the success guide too. I am not a member of any social network group, I barely ever even check my emails, so the fact that I'm sitting here typing a message on a website, and even signed up as a member is astonishing. I'm so eternally grateful for the light you are shining in my direction from the other end of my very dark tunnel. I'm on my journey out of the dark, back to the land of the living!! THANK YOU!

Welcome. And good luck! We completed our first whole30 this past Saturday-with great results. I'm not sure I have ever eaten so much food and lost so much weight while (and this is the most important piece for me) feeling REALLY, REALLY good the whole time. Aside from the carb flu around day 6-7, we both felt fabulous. Didn't quite figure out how to feed ourselves efficiently for workouts yet (we are both runners and were training for a half marathon), but that is something we are working on this time. We started our second whole30 yesterday.

I agree with you about the book too-it catches your attention and gives you hope. You are going to be amazed at how much better you feel! Enjoy the ride!

Thanks! I've just been devouring the whole site up! What a fantastic community of resources! I even started a log... best of luck to you too Keri.

Colleen Roy, good luck on your second whole30, and thanks for sharing.

I have been the biggest Paleo Lifestyle skeptic... So reluctant to even read anything about it. Some of my friends have been living it for a couple of years now. I think the reason for my skepticism is that I'm 42 and have tried every single gimmick, program and fad diet since my late teens to rein in my wildly-out-of-control appetite. After every attempt I wound up still feeling hungry, and unable to control my cravings to the point that I would gain back all the weight I had lost.... and then some! Fast forward a couple decades, tack on a few lifestyle ailments(IBS, asthma, etc.), and there I sat having vehemently sworn off any and every fad diet plan, being unwilling to consider anything new because of my past experiences. I didn't want to make it any worse than my situation had become. Nothing works anyway, right? If you can't beat 'em, join 'em... I was on the fast track to self-destruction.

I am on day 3 of the Whole30! Are you supposed to notice changes after just 3 days? I know it's still early, but not even one craving?? No pangs of hunger between meals, and I'm talking hours after a meal?? I'm here because I have great friends who love me. ISWF was recommended to me by a friend, so I bought it for my Kobo. I devoured it, TWICE! It resonates with me on so many levels, every single light bulb in my head is turned on and tuned in. I bought the success guide too. I am not a member of any social network group, I barely ever even check my emails, so the fact that I'm sitting here typing a message on a website, and even signed up as a member is astonishing. I'm so eternally grateful for the light you are shining in my direction from the other end of my very dark tunnel. I'm on my journey out of the dark, back to the land of the living!! THANK YOU!

Your story sounds familar. So glad you are doing well on it. It's a life changer!

Lola - I am right there with you. I have tried them all. I have to say that this is the first time I have not had cravings. It is like that little monster got scared off! This past year we have eaten mostly gluten-free - with a few hiccups! We have been working toward Paleo. If you would have told me last year that I would give up bread, sugar, or cream in my coffee - I would have told you that you were crazy. However, I have and it has made a huge difference in my life, which is what inspired me to do the Whole 30. I am on day 4 and doing great.

Best of luck to you! :)

Thanks to everyone that responded... it was good for me to hear that people can relate. When I first posted this I was acutally crying from shear happiness, gratitude and relief. I know that my story is certainly not uncommon, but I felt like I had hit rock bottom without a lifeline. I felt isolated and so very alone. My last weight loss program attempt ended last October, and since then I had been gaining weight by the heart beat. I tried to "cut back", and "limit" the bad stuff, it didn't matter.Every time I did indulge, my weight shot up. I was becoming shut in because I was embarrassed that I had failed at yet another renowned weight loss program that I wish had never announced to my friends and family.

Knowing that I'm not alone makes a world of difference, and now I'm gorging on all of the resources here instead of refined carbs, sugar and processed foods... all it took was ISWF, and 5 days on Whole30 to give me hope...

**grateful**

The thing I love about paleo eating is that it is not a fad. How can it be? It is just eating whole, natural foods. It's like the most sensible thing on the planet but yet it takes so many of us practically half a lifetime to find it!

I hope that aside from this amazing thing you're doing for your health, by changing the way you eat, you also take time to change the way you talk of food and yourself. That's an amazing side effect I've had on this journey. I've learned that "falling off the wagon" or "failing" is a really negative and defeating way to refer to a simple choice (albeit maybe an unhealthy choice). Instead, I've looked at those past "bad" decisions as tremendous learning tools. So, all your experimenting and dieting in the past was important because it has taught you what works and what doesn't, and has led you to this point. :)

I wish you nothing but health and happiness, and I'm so glad you've found the path to just that.

Archived