Crohns autoimmune protocol breakfast help?

Hello!  I've suffered from Chrohn's disease since I was a teenager.  Currently my symptoms are under control thanks to Remicade and I only have some minor inflammation in my colon.  I am planning on starting Whole 30 on Monday and am not sure if I should follow the auto immune protocol or not.  

My Chrohn's symptoms aren't very active and I am lucky that I don't have issues with many foods as long as I don't go too crazy with raw fruits, veggies and beans.  Since night shades are my go to and favorite veggies I typically eat it seems a bit daunting to cut them out.  I'm having trouble coming up with breakfast ideas that don't include eggs or night shades.  I also have a very long commute (2 + hrs)  so cooking breakfast in the morning is out of the question.  In the past I've relied on smoothies with whey protein since they are quick easy and portable.   Any suggestions on breakfast ideas that can be prepared in advance or enjoyed on the go??

Thanks for the support!

• Moderators

You should start with an ordinary Whole30, not the AI protocol. The only reason to go to the AI protocol is if you absolutely have to. Most people can achieve significant improvement in their health doing the basic Whole30.

You will probably want to cook your veggies to make digestion easier.

I prepare breakfast in about 5 minutes and can eat it in about 5 minutes, so I don't have much sympathy for the idea that people don't have time to eat at home before beginning their commute. I am scrambling eggs, which is probably the fastest food you can prepare in real time, but still. You could eat leftovers for breakfast, so all you have to do is heat them in the microwave for 2-3 minutes. 

I prepare a lot of stuff in the slow cooker and sometimes eat it for breakfast. Here is a good example: http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2013/10/slow-cooker-pork-shoulder-roast-beets-and-artichoke-hearts/

ha. I'm one of those people who can't prepare breakfast in the morning. I don't know what it is, but I just sleep better and enjoy life more if I set it all up the night before: pull together whatever I'm having for breakfast and lunch, have that in containers in the fridge; set up the espresso machine with espresso and water so all I have to do is flip the switch; lay out my workout clothes, pack a bag with work clothes; make sure my pill box for the next day is properly filled with medication and supplements, etc. All this stuff gets done before I sit down and relax when I get home from work in the evening.

It does not matter. Do it in the morning or do it at night, but you deserve a good meal in the morning so get it ready when you feel you have the time and the energy. 

I agree with Tom that the regular whole30 is the way to go. Give that a solid try and see how you feel after 30 days. It might be enough, but if you need the AI protocol you can try it at that point when these habits are already pretty solid, so it should be easier to adapt.

Dzie39, I have ulcerative colitis and the regular protocol has helped me immensely. Give it a try first. You can always do the AIP later, if you want to push the envelope once you are comfortable with the Whole30.

For breakfast, I have a long commute too and leave home before 5:45. No way am I cooking before 6 am! :) On Sunday I make a big frittata with eggs and veggies, and I freeze it in pieces. Then I just heat it up when I get into work.

Good luck!

Thanks - I'll try the regular whole 30 and see how I do.  That will give me a lot more options for portable meal ideas.  Stocked up on lots of whole foods and am excited to start on Monday!  I recently stopped taking 6 mp due to recurring cellulite infections and am willing to try whatever it takes to reduce inflammation.  I wish I had heard about this a few years ago when I was having a serious flare!  

Thanks - I'll try the regular whole 30 and see how I do.  That will give me a lot more options for portable meal ideas.

Yay! I'm sure you will do great.

On portable meals: your smoothies won't work of course, nor veggie juices, but there are lots of things that will. If you must eat in the car enroute, something like an egg or meat muffin or a slice of fritatta might work well. I'm not driving, but my breakfast (which I eat at my desk at my office post-workout) would work pretty well in a car: a palm-size portion of roast turkey or roast beef*, slices of red and yellow bell pepper, steamed cold broccoli, and one or two hard boiled eggs. Sometimes I have other veggies like steamed grean beans or cooked but still firm sweet potato cut in cubes. It may sound weird, but it's really good.

*applegate makes a compliant roast beef but their turkey (at least in my co-op) has carrageenan, so it's out. I use a different brand for that. read labels! In the past I've also roasted london broil and sliced that thin for my meat but lately store-bought has been working better for me. I would think i it would be pretty easy to roast some chicken breast and use that. there you go. I'll try that this week.

Archived