Eating My Way through Day 6

I have been successful in sticking to approved foods thus far...it still feels like I'm eating too much, but I've totaled calories a few times, and it's usually between 1,500-2,000.

Today, I woke up feeling great: I'd had 8 hours of deep sleep, and my day 5 was successful, not only because I stuck to the plan, but because I went out to dinner and to a party after and wasn't even tempted by the food/drinks that were not Whole 30 approved. 

However, I felt kind of insane all day with cravings.  They weren't necessarily cravings for off-plan foods, but more just cravings to keep eating.  I wasn't hungry (the steamed fish and broccoli didn't sound good), but I wanted to eat...so I did.  I just kept eating.  Everything I ate was acceptable by Whole 30 standards, but it wasn't necessarily the best choices (for example, instead of eating some veggies, I had a Larabar, some almonds, some raisins, an apple, and only after all that, a slice of avocado). 

Is anyone else experiencing this?  The other days have been great, but today was a mental struggle, and I feel like I lost that struggle!

This has happened to me a couple of times (I'm on day 12).  I just call it a 'hungry day', and eat on-plan foods.  The other days, I don't seem to have hunger or cravings, so I figure those days will balance out the days that I am an eating machine. :) 

Counting calories is against W30 and for good reason. Numbers, whether you perceive them to be good or bad or make an effort to remain "neutral," will affect your perception of hunger subconsciously. Nothing positive results from counting anything on a Whole30.

But to answer your question, YES, I experienced this too. I am on Day 11. I was hungry basically all day and eating 4-5 meals a day on the first several days. A few days ago, like magic, I stopped getting hungry between meals and now I'm at 3 meals today, plus a mini-meal if it's going to be a late dinner. Your body figures it out when you give it the chance to!

Good that you realize Larabars are not the best choice. Might I suggest you order some Primal Pacs for "emergency food" that is not as much of a pseudo-candy fix as a Larabar. I've found these really helpful to have around.

That is great that you went to a social event and weren't tempted! That is the toughest part for many of us.

Archived