Underweight husband says he's dying

We are on day 9 of our whole 30. I am overweight and feel fine. He's a skinny guy at 145 & 5'8 and for the past 4-5 days has gotten increasingly weaker. He says that he feels like he's dying and he's not prone to make statements like that. He's also having bad leg cramps and is ready to quit. Any advice? Could real harm be done?

Has your husband seen this article on maintaining your weight during a Whole30? http://whole9life.com/2013/12/keeping-weight-whole30/

Bad leg cramps can be a sign of diminished magnesium or potassium.  He may be helped by eating foods rich in these nutrients. Dark leafy greens, broccoli, sweet potato, winter squash, avocado, salmon, tuna, bananas are among the choices.

Is he also salting his food enough with a quality salt?

An example of a typical days meals:

Breakfast- 2 eggs cooked in 1-2 tbsp coconut oil,

1/2 c Sautéed spinach with garlic cooked in 1-2 tbsp ghee, 1 link of chicken sausage, 1/2 an orange

Lunch- (leftovers) 1/2-3/4 c ground beef cooked in 1-2 tbsp coconut oil served in lettuce wraps with tomatoes, cilantro, and green onions. 14-1/2 c guacamole, 1/2 c roasted sweet potatoes cooked in olive oil

Snack- 1/4 c coconut flakes w/1/2 c cashews over 1/2 a sliced banana

Dinner- nom nom's oven braised Mexican beef with balsamic roasted Brussels sprouts, mashed cauliflower, and almond butter on Apple slices

Oh honey, that is not nearly enough food! He needs to eat the template at a minimum, but considering he is underweight already I would aim for the upper half of the template, meaning 2 "palm-size" servings of protein at every meal. And don't skimp on starchy carbs, either. Instead of 1/2 cup of sweet potato, go for a whole large one.

If that volume of food is too hard for him to eat in one sitting, it is ok to have more meals, just make sure each one has a good balance of protein, vegetables and fat.

Here is the template: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

good luck!

What everyone else said.

I just want to add, along the lines of what Tom said, I was getting really bad leg cramps the first week or so and started adding more salt to my food. Stopped 'em immediately.

Archived