First Whole30, starting 2/17/14!

I am so hungry today and have no idea why. I have eaten very well and on plan but it is just a hungry day I guess. The weekends are always hard because I have a lot more time at home. I am excited that we are almost to the end.

Awww,,yeah, I was like that a few days ago, but I think it was more hormonal. How is your starchy carb intake? I have found starchy carbs and protein to be my saving grace during this whole experience when I get super hungry.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am so hungry today and have no idea why. I have eaten very well and on plan but it is just a hungry day I guess. The weekends are always hard because I have a lot more time at home. I am excited that we are almost to the end.

I have had a couple of days like this too! And I totally agree weekends are harder because I am home and have a house full of compliant food. At work I only have what I packed for that day so it makes it easy!

I survived the pub crawl! Everyone was shocked that I didn't cave! I wasn't even tempted to be honest. I ate a Lara bar in the bar. I had eaten an early meal before we went out so I wouldn't have to worry about finding compliant food at bars...so I just brought that just in case I needed something to eat. I am pretty hungry right now but am just going to bed so I don't eat anymore.

On to day 28. Big grocery shop tomorrow. Planning some really fun recipes for the last few days! Good work, everyone! We are almost there!

Happy Sunday everyone!  Well I got up early and thought I would try to make some homemade Mayo.  I used one recipe that was suggested on this site and it did not work.  I found another and but it made a huge amount so cut it in half.  The problem was it came out more like butter than it did mayo.  I didn't put in as much olive oil cause it looked like tooo much (1/4 cup less) would that have made the difference between a butter like consistency to a fluffy? 

Also what flavorings beside mustard has anyone tried? 

Happy Sunday everyone!  Well I got up early and thought I would try to make some homemade Mayo.  I used one recipe that was suggested on this site and it did not work.  I found another and but it made a huge amount so cut it in half.  The problem was it came out more like butter than it did mayo.  I didn't put in as much olive oil cause it looked like tooo much (1/4 cup less) would that have made the difference between a butter like consistency to a fluffy? 

Also what flavorings beside mustard has anyone tried? 

Not sure about the less oil in the mayo, but does kind of make sense. When I make mayo, I start with 1/4 cup light olive oil, 1 egg, 1/4 tsp. dry mustard, and juice from one half of a lemon. (I let the lemon and egg come up to room temp.) I blend that all together on my blenders lowest speed, and then very slowly add another 1 cup of light olive oil, and I mean very slowly like just a tiny constant drizzle. It takes about 2-3 minutes to get that 1 cup incorporated. Hope that helps.

As for flavorings, I use a lot of onion, garlic, spices, and herbs.  If you mean condiments, then I stick to mustards, brown spicy and yellow, and mayo. I've never been a big fan of ketchup, so leaving it off my plate has been no problem. I did make some barbecue sauce last week for some pulled pork, and it was really good. 

Can you believe we're almost to the end of the 30 days?  :)

One more thing, is anyone else experiencing dry skin itching? I seem to be itching more around my neck and upper arm areas. This is also where I notice the most loose skin. Even working out at the gym 5 days a week, I still have these 2 areas of loose skin.  :unsure:

Debbie- how you tried weight lifting. Cardio will help you lose fat, but weight lifting is necessary for sculpting your body especially if you have loose skin.

Yes, I do weight lifting, focusing on different body areas, all five days along with the cardio.  I think I just need to give it more time to see results. I've only been consistent with the gym for about 2 weeks now, so I think I just need to keep going and it will get better. I just can't figure out the itching. 

We're almost there. It's been quite the journey, that's for sure.

I'm struggling with the reintro aspect. I'm afraid I'm going to just go completely haywire on Wednesday (Day 31!) and reverse all the good I've done. This wasn't easy for me, by any means. I definitely want to reintroduce dairy so I can have my yogurts and a little cheese every so often. I think I might take a few weeks, and try another one of these in May or so, the structure has helped me immensely.

I've gotten some more friends started on the program and they love it so far. It's cool to be on the other side, they're asking *me* for ideas and suggestions. It's definitely helping me stay on my own program as well.

Anyone else thinking of doing another one?

I plan on re-introducing a little dairy (during my first w30 in September, I don't remember dairy being an issue when I put it back in), but that's about it. I'm going to try to follow the "Guide to Nutritional Off-roading" and only eat off-plan if it is something special. And special will not mean "whenever I don't want to cook," but things like family gatherings. I went completely off plan at the end of my last one, so I'm hoping to do better this time! I feel even better than I did at the end of the last one and have really come to enjoy cooking.

At a pot-luck lunch for work today, I brought my own lunch, and someone pointed out that "she's always eating healthy." Apparently all it takes is 30 days for everyone else to forget my pre-w30 eating habits. I took it as a compliment and a success!

Day 29 ...I am so excited that the end is almost near! After a while the challenge almost becomes a mental burden rather than therapeutic. Today during lunch time I kept thinking that I needed more food even though my belly was full and I was obviously bloated from eating.It also didn't help that my muscles were sore all day from my workouts and that my energy was lagging behind at work..sigh! lol

End of day 29! I was out all day today and manged to stay on plan. Even stopped and bought dinner to bring home. :)

Met with a friend, who I hadn't seen since starting the program, and the first thing she said was, "You look great!" It's nice to hear that little bit of encouragement. Although, everyone here at home compliments me for sticking to it, no one has actually said they've noticed any changes. Maybe because they see me every day? I don't know, but I've noticed the changes in myself. 

One more day, and then it's reintroduction time. So looking forward to it.

I'm kind of disappointed. I've been sick with a flu bug the last week or so. Ive stuck with compliant eating but not the meal plan template. I don't really want to start reintroducing foods yet, I think I will stay mostly whole 30 indefinitely.

YES! Day 30! We made it! I'm looking forward to stepping on the scale tomorrow morning. As far as changes, I am definitely not bloated, feeling leaner, sleeping better and waking easier, more patient esp with the kids, energy is stable throughout the day, and um...maybe tmi, but when I have a BM...there's hardly anything (if anything at all) to wipe :D .

My plan for re-entry is some cream in my coffee, some yogurt at lunch, and then ice cream after dinner. I expect that the dairy will give me bloat, but what I'll be curious to see is if it will congest me. I'm really not a big dairy person, in fact all I really care to add back is some cream in my coffee. I may skip the yogurt and ice cream...or maybe just the yogurt ;) .

Will report back tomorrow with scale results (yes, even though I understand the scale doesn't tell the whole story :P )

My plan for re-entry is some cream in my coffee, some yogurt at lunch, and then ice cream after dinner. I expect that the dairy will give me bloat, but what I'll be curious to see is if it will congest me. I'm really not a big dairy person, in fact all I really care to add back is some cream in my coffee. I may skip the yogurt and ice cream...or maybe just the yogurt ;) .

Dairy is definitely the first thing I plan to reintroduce as well, followed by some mild gluten-free grains. There's not much in the category of legumes I miss other than peanut butter, but almond butter has been suiting me fine so I will probably just continue using that.

I'm surprised at the things I don't miss, like sodas, ice cream, and bread. I hope to stay on a more 80/20 paleo-style diet for the future.

Wooooo hoooooo day 30. I can't believe I made it and can't wait until tomorrow to add some cream in my coffee. I am also planning on a glass of nice champagne in the very near future. I am thinking Thursday or Friday night. I don't think I am going to change that much to begin with since I really like how I am feeling. But I do reserve the right to change my mind :-)

Yay! We did it! I was planning on dairy reintro tomorrow, but we are going to celebrate a friends birthday at a Mexican restaurant. I am thinking about the tortilla chips...I may do that group tomorrow and do dairy on Saturday.

And I am really considering a margarita....just one and it would be little! :)

Day 30!!! Woohooo! I can't believe I made. Congrats to everyone else for completing it. I plan on having cookies tomorrow plus Cheese Cake at the Factory. Tomorrow I am going to pick up Well Fed 2 as a gift to myself. I am probably going to do another whole30 starting April 7th with Focus T25. I am so proud of everyone here who stuck through temptations and tribulation. Hope everyone enjoy their "cheat" meal..lol

I'm definitely doing another in the future, probably mid to late April. I want to give myself time to see how these foods really affect me. This morning I stopped and got my old coffee order, but got a small instead of a large, used skim milk instead of whole, and just light sugar. It still tasted pretty sweet so I might do even less from now on. Congratulations to everyone who made it, and thanks for this forum, you guys really helped me through!

So I was a little disappointed because I weighed myself this morning and I didn't lose any weight. It is frustrating because I've been stuck at this weight (160) for over  a year. I gained weight during pregnancy and had my son in June 2012 and still can't get below 160.

But I know the weight is just a number on the scale.  And I have seen body composition improvements.  That is why I am so surprised I didn't lose any weight.  But I did wear my size 6 pre-pregnancy work pants yesterday. They were pretty snug but last time I tried I couldn't even get them over my hips. 

Aside from that, for the other benefits, it's hard to know how exactly i feel because I've been sick the last week.  Before that I was feeling good.  I am not just doing this for immediate benefits though and want to improve my long-term health, reduce inflammation, and reduce disease risk.  So I am going to stick with it and I think I will stay Whole 30 another 10 days or so before reintroducing anything.  I'm also going to reduce my consumption of carb heavy vegetables, when I was sick I ate pretty carb heavy - lots of plantains and kabocha squash... so that may have influenced the lack of weight gain. My flu is gone and I just have a cold now so I will cut the carbs (not out just down). 

So I was a little disappointed because I weighed myself this morning and I didn't lose any weight. It is frustrating because I've been stuck at this weight (160) for over  a year. I gained weight during pregnancy and had my son in June 2012 and still can't get below 160.

But I know the weight is just a number on the scale.  And I have seen body composition improvements.  That is why I am so surprised I didn't lose any weight.  But I did wear my size 6 pre-pregnancy work pants yesterday. They were pretty snug but last time I tried I couldn't even get them over my hips. 

Aside from that, for the other benefits, it's hard to know how exactly i feel because I've been sick the last week.  Before that I was feeling good.  I am not just doing this for immediate benefits though and want to improve my long-term health, reduce inflammation, and reduce disease risk.  So I am going to stick with it and I think I will stay Whole 30 another 10 days or so before reintroducing anything.  I'm also going to reduce my consumption of carb heavy vegetables, when I was sick I ate pretty carb heavy - lots of plantains and kabocha squash... so that may have influenced the lack of weight gain. My flu is gone and I just have a cold now so I will cut the carbs (not out just down). 

I am sorry you didn't get the results you expected. I didn't lose a ton of weight either, but my diet before the whole30 wasn't particularly terrible either. What I did during my 30 days was alternate between starchy and leafy vegetables and tried to increase my protein intake too. How is your fluid intake or portion intake? Sometimes if you are not eating or drinking enough your body may hold onto the weight. Are you also exercising?

I am sorry you didn't get the results you expected. I didn't lose a ton of weight either, but my diet before the whole30 wasn't particularly terrible either. What I did during my 30 days was alternate between starchy and leafy vegetables and tried to increase my protein intake too. How is your fluid intake or portion intake? Sometimes if you are not eating or drinking enough your body may hold onto the weight. Are you also exercising?

Well my diet wasn't too bad before whole 30, primal with some non primal foods occasionally.

Maybe it is the fluids. I find it hard to drink enough water these days, especially when I'm taking care of my toddler. I need to work on this for sure.

I exercise usually 4 times a week on average, boot camp and tabata workouts at the gym or free weights. I haven't worked out much the last week since I've been sick though.

I don't know about protein, I know I significantly increased my protein intake.

I was doing intermittent fasting before whole 30 too so that may have messed up my hormones a bit? I will stick with whole 30 though, as it's not about weight loss...I was just hoping for that benefit most people seem to get!

Congratulations, everyone!!  We made it!  I never thought I'd say this when we first started but...this has been fun!  I feel so much better, I look better, and I feel so much more educated now about the food I put into my body.  I did have some pretty good weight loss (12 lbs) and some impressive body shape changes (16 inches lost from 7 different body part locations...that sounded weird!  lol!).  Probably could have done better if I had exercised, but I'm not complaining at all. To everyone who didn't experience weight loss, I'm confident you're still healthier than you were 30 days ago.  We all are!

Today is dairy day...had some cheese this morning, and a little half and half with the coffee (no sugar or splenda).  So far, so good.  Going to have some sour cream with my lunch, and a little ice cream after dinner.  Let's hope I don't kill anyone with farts later on.

Congratulations, everyone!!  We made it!  I never thought I'd say this when we first started but...this has been fun!  I feel so much better, I look better, and I feel so much more educated now about the food I put into my body.  I did have some pretty good weight loss (12 lbs) and some impressive body shape changes (16 inches lost from 7 different body part locations...that sounded weird!  lol!).  Probably could have done better if I had exercised, but I'm not complaining at all. To everyone who didn't experience weight loss, I'm confident you're still healthier than you were 30 days ago.  We all are!

Today is dairy day...had some cheese this morning, and a little half and half with the coffee (no sugar or splenda).  So far, so good.  Going to have some sour cream with my lunch, and a little ice cream after dinner.  Let's hope I don't kill anyone with farts later on.

Wow~ You had great results! Congrats! I pretty happy with the new  lifestyle changes I've made and plan to continue to implement them going further even if I had girl scout cookies and cereal this morning. :) lol.

Wow~ You had great results! Congrats! I pretty happy with the new  lifestyle changes I've made and plan to continue to implement them going further even if I had girl scout cookies and cereal this morning. :) lol.

Signs that I might need a bit more time on Whole30: I read your post as "I had girl scout cookies *as* cereal this morning" and thought...dang, that sounds awesome!   :D  

Archived