First Whole30, starting 2/17/14!

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much protein and fats do you eat per meal? I feel I stick to the meal plan (Palm sized protein, etc) however it seems too little to keep me from losing weight. I usually have 2 eggs and veggies as well as coconut and fruit for breakfast. Lunch again some protein, nuts, salad and fruit. Dinner is when I indulge and usually have a large plate of vegetables (also carb dense ones like turnip etc) and beef or shrimp.

My whole30 is about getting some food allergies under control and I can't afford to lose more weight.

Anyone with experience on adding extra meals? Or is it recommended that I increase fats? Or snack on nuts?

I'd hate to end the journey early, so I really appreciate any thoughts/tips!

How much protein and fats do you eat per meal? I feel I stick to the meal plan (Palm sized protein, etc) however it seems too little to keep me from losing weight. I usually have 2 eggs and veggies as well as coconut and fruit for breakfast. Lunch again some protein, nuts, salad and fruit. Dinner is when I indulge and usually have a large plate of vegetables (also carb dense ones like turnip etc) and beef or shrimp.

My whole30 is about getting some food allergies under control and I can't afford to lose more weight.

Anyone with experience on adding extra meals? Or is it recommended that I increase fats? Or snack on nuts?

I do not have the problem.of not wanting to.lose weight, however, I recently read a similar post and Tom's response. He reminded the poster that as per the meal template, you can have 1-2 palm sized portions of protein per meal, and 1-2 thumbs of oil plus your nuts and fruit. Maybe just increase your fat and protein. Good luck!

Read this recent article on Keeping Weight On During a Whole30: http://whole30.com/2013/12/keeping-weight-whole30/

I think most people are trying to lose weight so comparing yourself to others isn't the best approach. If I were you I'd eat 2 thumbs of fat minimum as fat has the most calories per gram and will make fitting in an adequate number of calories easier (although I'm not saying you should count them). I would lose the salad at lunch because it's bulky and can be bloating--6 cups of spinach cooked in coconut oil/ghee/olive oil will give you more bang for your buck because it wilts down to a small portion. I'd either add more eggs at breakfast or eat some other form of protein because they're low in calories and protein relative to other sources. I'd also add carb dense veggies at every meal, not just dinner. That should help! 

Read this recent article on Keeping Weight On During a Whole30: http://whole30.com/2013/12/keeping-weight-whole30/

@GFChris - is there an article like this on how to lose weight on whole30.  I understand cutting out carbs and junk food alone helps, but I really would like to drop some weight so I get better in the gym.  When I am heavier, I can tell I can't perform rigorous exercises as well.  I would love to read about things to avoid on whole30 when weight lose is one of our goals. 

Please understand, it isn't my only goal ... I am doing this to gaincontrol of my cravings, and be all around healthier.  But weight lose is a big factor on this particualy journey for me.  Any help is always appreciaited =) thank you!

@GFChris - is there an article like this on how to lose weight on whole30.  I understand cutting out carbs and junk food alone helps, but I really would like to drop some weight so I get better in the gym.  When I am heavier, I can tell I can't perform rigorous exercises as well.  I would love to read about things to avoid on whole30 when weight lose is one of our goals. 

Please understand, it isn't my only goal ... I am doing this to gaincontrol of my cravings, and be all around healthier.  But weight lose is a big factor on this particualy journey for me.  Any help is always appreciaited =) thank you!

No, because the Whole30 isn't about losing weight.  :)  It's designed to jump-start optimal health for the rest of your life.

Focus on eating better (following the Whole30 rules and recommended meal template), sleeping better and making yourself healthier and chances are very high that your body composition will shift.

You might want to take a look at this article, which puts weight vs. body composition in perspective. http://everydaypaleo.com/attention-scale-addicts-part-2/

Hello! I started the Whole 30 on February 17 too.  I didn't notice this forum before...can I join in this thread? It would be nice to have people to talk to at the same place in this as me.

As for what I have for breakfast, I am the type of person who always has the same thing for breakfast so I have usually 3 eggs, with onions, mushrooms, spinach and whatever other vegetable i might have around (kale, zucchini, green pepper, etc), then top it with salsa and eat with 1/2 an avocado diced.

Once I had a salad with left over salmon and balsamic dressing that was good too - it is kind of freeing to get rid of the "must eat breakfast foods at breakfast" mentality.

Hello! I started the Whole 30 on February 17 too.  I didn't notice this forum before...can I join in this thread? It would be nice to have people to talk to at the same place in this as me.

As for what I have for breakfast, I am the type of person who always has the same thing for breakfast so I have usually 3 eggs, with onions, mushrooms, spinach and whatever other vegetable i might have around (kale, zucchini, green pepper, etc), then top it with salsa and eat with 1/2 an avocado diced.

Once I had a salad with left over salmon and balsamic dressing that was good too - it is kind of freeing to get rid of the "must eat breakfast foods at breakfast" mentality.

Yes! Welcome!  We love having anyone join along in our thread!  This thread is what helps me get through the day!  I wouldn't make this whole30 journey on my own without everyone here =) Everyone has great advice, recipes, and motivation! 

1/3 complete! go us!

So my old lunch breaks use to involve me going out with co-workers and eating a not so healthy meal, and being tired the rest of the day and hungry at 3:00.  I'll admit, my body might not have let go of the feeling of being hungry at 3:00 ... but my lunches have changed!  I made "Well Fed" cauliflower fried rice last night and am currently eating it right now, omgeee ... it's great! 

My new lunch hour now includes me eating a compliant meal and reading through all the forums.  I'd say, I've learned a lot in these 10 days, and can't wait to see what else I learn in the remaining 20 ... and after that!  Because I plan on staying 100% paleo after this!  And I am starting my own blog to track my journey along the way. 

Happy day 10 everyone :)

1/3 of the way through! It's a happy milestone, but there's still a long way to go. Yay, us! B)

I feel like I have been so *hungry* today! I ate a normal breakfast, and my stomach was growling at 9:30. I brought some grapes to snack on, even though I've really been trying to not to use them. I brought some leftover fish and veggies from last night in for lunch, and it's 3:00 and I feel hungry *again!* This is the first day since starting that I really just want to eat everything in sight. :P

Also, a co-worker commented that my jeans are sagging in the back, and I need new pants. I just bought these a month ago! It's a cool feeling though. :)

Hi everyone! So, Day 10. Here we are! ;)

I have been feeling really good until the last few days. I am very bloated, and feeling discouraged. But plan to stay on track and hopefully this is just a phase! Otherwise, it has been going really well!

I should add...I'm considering tackling the mayo. I didn't want to do it right away because I didn't want to rely on it too much, but I think it's time...:)

I have been feeling really good until the last few days. I am very bloated, and feeling discouraged. But plan to stay on track and hopefully this is just a phase! Otherwise, it has been going really well!

I should add...I'm considering tackling the mayo. I didn't want to do it right away because I didn't want to rely on it too much, but I think it's time... :)

The mayo is amazing! Just an FYI, if you're using a blender make sure you use the slowest setting. I learned that one the hard way.  ;)

Hi everyone. Sounds like everyone is doing great. I had a night of sleep/wake/sleep. I had a bad headache and did not feel well at all. I think I was dehydrated so I really drank lots of water and as the day rolled on I felt much better. I am still staying Whole30. I think the longest I have stayed on a healthy eating plan is 14 days. I am taking it one day at a time.

I am also feeling bloated, but this is around the time many people do according to the timeline. I find I feel better if I see something I"m feeling on the timeline near whatever day it is (even if it isn't exact). Then, it is like, ok, only 2 days or so of this. No problem. 

I agree it makes me feel better too. In fact I look at the first and if it's there it puts my mind at ease. Just to check in I slept so much better last night and feel pretty good. I wouldn't say I have Tigger blood I have a good amount of energy. I just wish it would warm up outside. I am in the Chicago area and I am DONE with this cold weather. I guess snow is predicted for the weekend too.

Happy Day 11!

I think I'm right on schedule. The bloating is resolving, but the boredom is setting in..lol. I have also been slacking in my preparation this week, so tomorrow I'm going to cook batches of food rather than preparing meals last minute as I have the past 2-3 days. I decided to eat  only 1-2 serving of starchy vegetables daily. My goal is to reduce belly fat, and I have found that starchy vegetables make me more bloated if anything or it could be just my body reacting to changes from the program.

Well ... I was really not exicted about my lunch I packed today (it was the same exact thing I ate yesterday) so I just wasn't in the mood.  I went to WF and decided to get something more interesting.  I got some quac (theres is amazing, and made with all fresh ingredients!) some jicama, olives and a whole chicken breast.  Sounds all good... except I found out they grill their chicken with olive oil and CANOLA OIL! I didn't realize this till after I ate it. Does this mean I need to start over??!?!?!?!?!?!?

UGH! :unsure:

Well ... I was really not exicted about my lunch I packed today (it was the same exact thing I ate yesterday) so I just wasn't in the mood.  I went to WF and decided to get something more interesting.  I got some quac (theres is amazing, and made with all fresh ingredients!) some jicama, olives and a whole chicken breast.  Sounds all good... except I found out they grill their chicken with olive oil and CANOLA OIL! I didn't realize this till after I ate it. Does this mean I need to start over??!?!?!?!?!?!?

UGH! :unsure:

Canola oil isn't forbidden on a Whole30 - it's allowed in the cases of dining out, as many restaurants use this in cooking.

No restart required - press on!  :)

Hello!  I am having trouble with breakfast.  I am hungry in the morning, but the thought of eating veggies makes me feel sick.  Any ideas? I have been doing it, but not really enjoying breakfast.  

Otherwise things are good!!  

Check out this thread - someone else had a similar challenge as you: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/6104-veggies/

Hello! I am having trouble with breakfast. I am hungry in the morning, but the thought of eating veggies makes me feel sick. Any ideas? I have been doing it, but not really enjoying breakfast.

Otherwise things are good!!

I have been having the same problem. Lately I've been eating a bell pepper bc I really like them. But I'm even getting sick of that. The tomato sounds the most appealing to me, although I think tomatoes have more sugar than other veggies. If you find something you like, please share. I'd be interested since I am feeling sick with veggies too.

Today at lunchtime I met my husband at a restaurant that we haven't been to in awhile. I ordered their chopped salad, with no dressing, and when it arrived it had crumbled feta cheese all over it (that wasn't listed on the menu), I scraped most of it off, but I know I didn't it all off. Should I restart from day 1, or do you think I'm okay? I really tried hard not to eat it, but I know some made it into my mouth.  :(

Archived