First Whole30, starting 2/17/14!

Today at lunchtime I met my husband at a restaurant that we haven't been to in awhile. I ordered their chopped salad, with no dressing, and when it arrived it had crumbled feta cheese all over it (that wasn't listed on the menu), I scraped most of it off, but I know I didn't it all off. Should I restart from day 1, or do you think I'm okay? I really tried hard not to eat it, but I know some made it into my mouth.  :(

If you suspect dairy is a problem for you, I would recommend a restart. Otherwise, I would press on.

In the future, if something like this occurs, I would send it back and request a new salad without the feta.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I have been doing good with not snacking, but last night I was doing a cook-up and i ate a whole lot of roasted beets in coconut oil & a meatloaf muffin during the cooking. 

I don't feel too bad because it was following the template but I probably shouldn't have ate so late.  I know it is a huge improvement over the past.

Something I'm struggling with is enjoying my dinner.  My toddler harrasses me during dinner when he finishes eating his and so I feel rushed and stressed during dinner. I used to pre-whole 30 just have a snack and then eat dinner when he goes to sleep - but that is pretty late to eat dinner, and the snack is not part of the plan, and it's really not something i thought was a great thing to do anyway. 

Part of why I snacked last night was because it was nice to eat in a relaxing manner.

Hello!  I am having trouble with breakfast.  I am hungry in the morning, but the thought of eating veggies makes me feel sick.  Any ideas? I have been doing it, but not really enjoying breakfast.  

Otherwise things are good!!  

Try this:  

http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/07/05/easy-breakfast-salad/

I'm loving it with eggs in the morning!

I accidentally packed the wrong container for my lunch so I instead of my sweet potato & beef curry I got some really gross soggy eggplants I couldn't even finish.  And I had coleslaw w/ 1/2 avocado & balsamic dressign & a small orange.  So no protein.

It was also my post workout meal.

Is it considered breaking the Whole 30 if I couldn't have protein at one meal? I assume not since I think teh meal templates are not fully required... I did have a hard boiled egg pre workout so that's good at least~

I will probably eat dinner as soon as I get home (around 6:00) - should I have another meal later or just see if I'm hungry (I think I will be) or just eat dinner and leave it at that.

It is so crazy how I am all concerned - previously just having salad, avocado & fruit I would have considered a good lunch!

I accidentally packed the wrong container for my lunch so I instead of my sweet potato & beef curry I got some really gross soggy eggplants I couldn't even finish.  And I had coleslaw w/ 1/2 avocado & balsamic dressign & a small orange.  So no protein.

It was also my post workout meal.

Is it considered breaking the Whole 30 if I couldn't have protein at one meal? I assume not since I think teh meal templates are not fully required... I did have a hard boiled egg pre workout so that's good at least~

I will probably eat dinner as soon as I get home (around 6:00) - should I have another meal later or just see if I'm hungry (I think I will be) or just eat dinner and leave it at that.

It is so crazy how I am all concerned - previously just having salad, avocado & fruit I would have considered a good lunch!

No, missing a protein at a meal is not considered breaking the rules. The meal template is a recommended guideline for optimal results: not a hard and fast rule.

Your plan for the rest of the day sounds good.

Good evening everyone I had a pretty good day. Stayed on plan. I am thrilled that I have made it to the 12th day. As I have said before 14 days is longest I have been able to make in other challenges. Right now I am feeling pretty good and I am not having the screaming demons in my ears right now which is good. I realize it doesn't mean that might not show up later but right now I'm good.

Hope others are doing well too.

Good evening everyone I had a pretty good day. Stayed on plan. I am thrilled that I have made it to the 12th day. As I have said before 14 days is longest I have been able to make in other challenges. Right now I am feeling pretty good and I am not having the screaming demons in my ears right now which is good. I realize it doesn't mean that might not show up later but right now I'm good.

Hope others are doing well too.

Great job! This is the longest I have ever been consistent with a plan. Usually by now I would have indulge in cookies or some sugar laden item, and I live at home with my family so there are many temptations around. Yesterday I nearly had a huge mistake. I  bought a non-compliant salsa on Wednesday and was ready to smear it on my food until I  thought twice to check the label AGAIN. Yikes! I bought two jars of it so that sucks alot! Today I went back and bought the correct one. I am still very much bloated, so I have decided to cut back on my fruit and starchy carbs intake during the second half of the challenge.

I also had a lot of bloating but it is gone now! We did a big shopping trip this morning. Looking forward to a day of cooking! We went to dinner with friends last night. I triple checked the menu online and with the server. I am so paranoid I am going to eat something noncompliant. I even googled capers while sitting at dinner just to make sure they weren't bad! It almost isn't worth going out to eat!

Anyone else having social difficulties? We went to dinner with two other couples. They are pretty good friends, and I explained briefly what I am doing, but still felt like the picky one while ordering. It was a friends birthday, so they got a cheesecake for the table. I just felt weird not having any. Like I was being rude. I highly doubt that is what they thought but it was awkward.

Other than that I am feeling freakin' fantastic! Huge changes! The biggest change so far is my horomones. They are the reason I started this in the first place, so I am thrilled!

Cheers, we are almost halfway there!

Greenmonster I have been just saying I will have some in 30 days not right now and tell them I am trying to take sugar in my diet so I don't crave it each and everyday.  That seems to work since I have not gotten too many questions after that.  Maybe they are secretly thinking I am a nut but I really don't care. 

I also had a lot of bloating but it is gone now! We did a big shopping trip this morning. Looking forward to a day of cooking! We went to dinner with friends last night. I triple checked the menu online and with the server. I am so paranoid I am going to eat something noncompliant. I even googled capers while sitting at dinner just to make sure they weren't bad! It almost isn't worth going out to eat!

Anyone else having social difficulties? We went to dinner with two other couples. They are pretty good friends, and I explained briefly what I am doing, but still felt like the picky one while ordering. It was a friends birthday, so they got a cheesecake for the table. I just felt weird not having any. Like I was being rude. I highly doubt that is what they thought but it was awkward.

Other than that I am feeling freakin' fantastic! Huge changes! The biggest change so far is my horomones. They are the reason I started this in the first place, so I am thrilled!

Cheers, we are almost halfway there!

Great job! Social pressures are tough while on a journey like this! I had to decline an invitation at the beginning on my Whole30 because I didn't want to be tempted by desserts and alcohol. However, I went out on a date last week and I had to be very specific with the waiter and to confirm ingredients in the menu items. I'm pretty sure I will not be going out to eat for the remainder of the program which kind of sucks! However, I think it's for the best because the options are so limited that are consistent with this plan!

My bloating has improved today. My energy level is up too! Usually in the morning I'm laboring to get out to bed and struggle at work, but now I am  energized at the beginning of my work day!

If you suspect dairy is a problem for you, I would recommend a restart. Otherwise, I would press on.

In the future, if something like this occurs, I would send it back and request a new salad without the feta.

Well, apparently dairy is a big issue for me. I have been fighting sinus headache for the last 2 days. :(  So, restarted yesterday as day 1 again. 

I'll keep posting here, but I'll be a couple weeks behind.

going fishing in the morning with my husband and his uncle. this will be a challenge for me as the boat was a place of major snacking. will be cooking and planning some cold quick meals for tomorrow... hopefully this ends well.

Day 15!! Halfway there! How's everyone doing?

I went to an Oscar party last night. So many temptations, but I stuck with my pomagranate guacamole and plantain chips and someone else brought fruit. But man, the Oreo bark was for sure calling my name! I don't crave things too badly when they are not around, but sitting right in front of me drove me crazy, so I made sure to stay out if the kitchen as much as possible!

Wow. Halfway. In some aspects, it feels like we just started. And in others, I feel like it's been *forever*

I made it through my trip to NYC this weekend and stayed on plan. It was tough because we mostly ate out so much but I did my best. I had Larabars on me and that helped. I went with a group of 15 girls and they all were super-supportive. They made sure the menu had things on them that I could eat (or alter to fit the plan) and didn't limit them with what they wanted. It was fantastic.

One thing that I've been lacking on is water consumption. I started out really well, but last week I just didn't keep it up. I'm back on my 8-10 glasses for this week.

We're on the downhill climb now!

Wow. Halfway. In some aspects, it feels like we just started. And in others, I feel like it's been *forever*

I made it through my trip to NYC this weekend and stayed on plan. It was tough because we mostly ate out so much but I did my best. I had Larabars on me and that helped. I went with a group of 15 girls and they all were super-supportive. They made sure the menu had things on them that I could eat (or alter to fit the plan) and didn't limit them with what they wanted. It was fantastic.

One thing that I've been lacking on is water consumption. I started out really well, but last week I just didn't keep it up. I'm back on my 8-10 glasses for this week.

We're on the downhill climb now!

Wow! Good for you! I can't even imagine going on vacation and being to stay compliant. That is definitely very motivating to keep going. I can't believe I've made it this long. Now I feel as if anything less than completing the 30 days would be disappointing.

Great work ladies! Especially for staying compliant on vacation and social situations.  I haven't really had any dining out situations in the past two weeks and I know it would be hard. 

Is anyone feeling the "tiger blood" yet? I feel like my energy is good during the day but drops off at night when I try to get work or cooking done after my son goes to bed.  I guess that might be an indication that I need to sleep at that time - but there's too much to do! Probably my sleeping habits are worse than my diet was. 

I did only get around 4 hours of sleep last night because my son had a really rought night and well I feel tired it's not "killing me" the way it might have in the past.  So I guess that could be because of the whole 30.

And thanks for the reminder about water consumption APOCrunch - that is something I need to work on too!

Hi guys! My sister Tiffany and I started our first Whole30 on February 17th as well. We're halfway through already!!! I haven't been on the forum much at all up until this point and I've decided I need to start making my presence known here. :) The past 2 weeks definitely haven't been easy, but it also hasn't been as hard as I thought it would be. I just had my first baby back on November 16th of this past year, so I'm a breastfeeding mom. At first I wasn't sure if I should be doing this challenge because of that, but from what I've read it sounds like this is the BEST thing I can do for my baby girl's health, as well as my own. I was in pretty good shape before I got pregnant so a lot of the baby weight had already come off before this but from what I can tell it feels like I have already started losing what is left in the past two weeks. Also, prior to the Whole30 I had started experiencing tendonitis-like symptoms in my left hand/wrist area and it was becoming pretty bothersome. So far they seem less than before but I am hoping to be rid of them completely.

I think I may be getting some Tiger Blood. :-) 

My first W30 and my subsequent 6 months of paleo (with occasional indulgences) I lost 50  lbs but didn't work out at all, then plateaued until this, my second W30. I added one workout a week for the first 2 weeks, and this week I've completed one, and going to do another Thursday and Saturday is supposed to be "warm" like 47 degrees.. hahaha- that feels warm now...so should be able to go for a walk outside. So I may be up to 3 workouts this week! I feel great. This morning I loved the burning feeling of lifting weights and walking on an incline up the treadmill.  Instead of feeling tired, I'm feeling good!  Looking forward to my Thursday morning crosstraining class.  Planning on continuing the workouts- they make me feel great. My main challenge is the prep work that goes into it- preparing a bag with toiletries and work clothes, laying out workout clothes, having breakfast and lunch ready to go in the fridge and getting up and out the door by 5:35am.  Getting used to it though, and I don't mind it!

I do have to say though, that last night I was craving sugar and I think it's because I went too long between lunch and dinner. I had a larabar which seemed to get it under control and not make me go out of control. Good stuff.

Hope you're all feeling well! :D

Hi all...everything's going well. Feeling like sleep is better, even though my 5-yr old still wakes up almost every night I'm able to fall back asleep faster and have been waking up before my alarm, not so tired. I feel like I have more patience with the kids. Still waiting for a specific mental issue to decrease...but overall just feeling good at least.

Hi Juliana...do you think the hand/wrist issue is from holding the baby? A lot of mothers get tendonitis from stretching out their thumbs from their hands holding their babes :)

My IL's are coming for a visit just at the end of this W30...I'm hoping they don't want to go out to eat; always seems like they want Chinese and we order a big meal to share. They are not the kind of people I really want to explain this to. My FIL can just be, well...an ass, and I just don't need feedback from him. My plan is to just have meals already prepped/planned so we don't even have to consider going out to eat.

Keep chuggin' along everyone!

I think I may be getting some Tiger Blood. :-) 

My first W30 and my subsequent 6 months of paleo (with occasional indulgences) I lost 50  lbs but didn't work out at all, then plateaued until this, my second W30. I added one workout a week for the first 2 weeks, and this week I've completed one, and going to do another Thursday and Saturday is supposed to be "warm" like 47 degrees.. hahaha- that feels warm now...so should be able to go for a walk outside. So I may be up to 3 workouts this week! I feel great. This morning I loved the burning feeling of lifting weights and walking on an incline up the treadmill.  Instead of feeling tired, I'm feeling good!  Looking forward to my Thursday morning crosstraining class.  Planning on continuing the workouts- they make me feel great. My main challenge is the prep work that goes into it- preparing a bag with toiletries and work clothes, laying out workout clothes, having breakfast and lunch ready to go in the fridge and getting up and out the door by 5:35am.  Getting used to it though, and I don't mind it!

I do have to say though, that last night I was craving sugar and I think it's because I went too long between lunch and dinner. I had a larabar which seemed to get it under control and not make me go out of control. Good stuff.

Hope you're all feeling well! :D

I'm so with you on the workouts!  :)  I actually spent almost 2 hours at the gym yesterday, and it felt great! I still don't want to go, but once I'm there and working out, it's awesome! :D I think I may have over done it yesterday though, as I was asleep by 10:30 last night. Then was awake at 4:30 this morning. While getting ready to leave for the gym, I looked over my "schedule" and realized I had done today's workout along with yesterday's. No wonder I was there so long.  :D

And, Saturday I got my size 14 jeans on! That was huge, as I haven't worn them in 4 or 5 years! :D

Yay for tiger blood, awesome workouts and fitting into skinny jeans! My workout of choice is bikram yoga, and I feel like my practice is improving! It feels great!

Amylou, I am with ya on the only telling certain people. Sometimes it isn't worth the explanation especially when you know what the response is going to be!

Not gonna lie, a paczki still sounds darn good to me today!! I hope these sugar cravings go away. I wondering if I need to decrease fruit. I have been having a little fruit everyday. I also think I may be relying on cashews a bit much. They are a go to if I am feeling hungry. I know that means I need to eat more during meals, but I usually do feel very full and am really working on not over eating which is something I frequently do.

Day 16 is almost in the books! It's all downhill from here!

Archived