First Whole30, starting 2/17/14!

Hello!  

I made chili without beans for the first time and I LOVE it.  I used this one from the clothes make the girl blog. 

I have chicken cooked for lunches for the week and all the meals planned out.  Life gets pretty busy and I am trying not to fall into "I am too busy and just grabbed something easy".  

Hope everyone is prepared for the week ahead!!  

What does everyone do to get ready and make sure you are on track? 

Sarah, I started with a plan in the beginning and did most of my cooking then and put it in the freezer. Now I just have to grab something, let it thaw, and cook/warm. I also have lots of fresh raw veggies, nuts, and fruit in case I just need a hold over until meal time. I keep 4-5 baked sweet potatoes in the fridge along with salad veggies and hard boiled eggs. Last weekend I had made a curry chicken salad for quick lunches. This past weekend I had to make more mayo and ghee, as I used all I made before I started my Whole 30. Today, I'm planning to make up some no sugar cole slaw, along with cauliflower rice cups. I will say, I have the advantage of being a stay at home wife, so I don't often have rushed days. But, I am prepared just in case.  ;)

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone, happy day 8! :D

I have been noticing that my senses are more keen - Friday morning while I was running, I ran by someone who I workout with at CF, and for the first time I noticed that he literally smelled like the inside of a dirty laundry basket.... and the same thing this morning! I'm mad because I never noticed it before, and now I have to hold my breath while walking past him. :wacko: LOL.

Anyways, anyone else noticing any other improvements? My skin has also become more clear and my pores are literally shrinking like crazy. Cant wait for the Day 30 results!

The only thing that has been hard for me is planning. I can never seem to get it right, and always end up cooking every meal, and getting a salad from Fresh Market with lots of veggies, and some guac and oil & vinegar as dressing. So delicious, but getting very expensive. Any tips on planning so that the food stays fresh for a day or 2 in the fridge?

lmao to the whole smelling the guy while running.  

The only thing that has been hard for me is planning. I can never seem to get it right, and always end up cooking every meal, and getting a salad from Fresh Market with lots of veggies, and some guac and oil & vinegar as dressing. So delicious, but getting very expensive. Any tips on planning so that the food stays fresh for a day or 2 in the fridge?

Publix has a buy one get one sale on "Eat Smart" veggies. They are steam in the bag- no preservatives. They are awesome for one big meal or splitting two bags between the whole 3 meals of the day. I got mine today stocked up for the week. I got the broccoli and carrots, broccoli and cauliflower and the stir fry medley bag. Whole week of veggies for less than 20 bucks. The meal situation is a lil different though. You either have to buy in bulk and defrost to help your pocket or buy sale items.

Good luck

Happy Day 8 everyone!

I love the fact that this thread exists...a bunch of random people who decided to start this program on a random Monday in February. It's so great to come in here and read about everyone's experiences.

Does anyone else feel 'paranoia' like you're doing something wrong? It's as if I'm so nervous that there are hidden sneaky chemicals or sugars in everything I eat that I'm not aware of. This is especially true of things I don't prepare myself. I had a salad from my cafeteria salad bar at work, and the whole time I was nervous. "I wonder how these veggies were prepared" or "I hope this chicken wasn't treated with anything"

Am I alone in worrying about being off the plan and not realizing it?

Happy Day 8 everyone!

I love the fact that this thread exists...a bunch of random people who decided to start this program on a random Monday in February. It's so great to come in here and read about everyone's experiences.

Does anyone else feel 'paranoia' like you're doing something wrong? It's as if I'm so nervous that there are hidden sneaky chemicals or sugars in everything I eat that I'm not aware of. This is especially true of things I don't prepare myself. I had a salad from my cafeteria salad bar at work, and the whole time I was nervous. "I wonder how these veggies were prepared" or "I hope this chicken wasn't treated with anything"

I'm not a worrier by nature, so I haven't had any of those thoughts.  :mellow: I have eaten 3 meals out since starting, but have stuck to salads without cheese, and meat that is just grilled and/or blackened. Since we only eat at local restaurants if I have any questions I can ask, and so far everyone has been very accommodating. :)

Happy Day 8 everyone!

Yes, to the paranoia to eating something wrong.  Not to the point that I am obsessed but I do think about everything I am eating.....i guess that is part of the point right?   

Yes in regards to being worried about what I am eating. I am working in a different town everyday. I cannot cook or pack a lunch so I have to rely on eating in a restaurant or whatever is available for lunch at the places I am working in. I am able to find something usually vegetables or a salad or some kind of meat but it is the meat I worry about most because there is no way to know how it is prepared even when it is grilled (that is the only type I choose). I do my best and control what I can control so far I think it is going pretty well but 22 more days to go.

Yeah to finishing day #8.

Hi Everyone,

Happy day #9!  I can't believe we've come so far already. 

To comment on a couple of other posts - I haven't been feeling paranoid or guilty but I have really avoided eating out for the most part.  I have a work lunch today and there isn't much on the menu but I brought something to eat beforehand so I'm not sitting there eating a salad and starving. 

In terms of planning, I've found it helpful to really meal plan for the entire week and do prep work ahead of time.  I spend all Sunday afternoon chopping and prepping veggies and meats to cook throughout the week.  I've also used the slow cooker a number of times to make BIG batches of recipes that are ready when I get home and so that I have leftovers.

The biggest surprise to me in all of this is how NOT hungry I have been between meals.  The first couple of days were bad but then all of a sudden it's like my body adjusted and I feel completely satiated between meals for the most part.  It is such a freeing feeling, as I was always a "5 meals a day" kind of girl and was ALWAYS hungry and planning my next meal or snack.   My energy levels have also been pretty good but I'm hoping for even more improvement.

I'm really struggling a little bit with the fats - I'm putting avocado and olives on everything but I can see how this could get boring.  What are other people doing to keep it interesting???

It's Day 9! :) Is anyone else feeling the crash? I've hit the "I just want to take a nap" stage. Getting out of bed this morning was quite a chore! Although I did go to the gym yesterday for the first time in *forever* - I just walked a couple of miles on the treadmill, but it was good to get that bit of activity again.

Kudos to all of us who have made it this far! <3

I'm really struggling a little bit with the fats - I'm putting avocado and olives on everything but I can see how this could get boring.  What are other people doing to keep it interesting???

For fats, I try to put almonds on my salads. It's nice to have that crunch. I try not to snack too often but I'll occasionally have some cashews if I know my next meal is a while away. Also remember your oils (EVOO, coconut, etc) function as healthy fats too.

Homemade mayo - I use it on baked sweet potato, in my chicken/salmon salad and as a base for salad dressings.

Always have a batch in my fridge.  Recipe here: http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/06/03/the-secret-to-homemade-mayo-patience/

@CFChris - is having 'bulletproof' coffee in the morning enough fat for my morning meal?  Some days I just have 2 boiled eggs and a orange bell pepper for my veggie, and on those days I drink 'bulletproof' coffee to get my fat (1tsp coconut oil, 1 tsp ghee, 1 tsp 100% cocoa, and sometimes I add coconut milk)

Thanks!

Hey all - Hope everything is going good for everyone so far!  Day 9 guys! Soon enough we will be half way there!  I am getting kind of nervous, I am throwing a surprise birthday party for my boyfriend and I am taking him to dinner as well.  It is going to be SO hard to not drink (I will be meeting all his friends for the FIRST time and we're going to an amazing restaurant!) .... any help, I am all ears.  Not sure how I am going to not give into anything ... it's this FRIDAY!

But, on a better note ... anyone having the cheating with food dreams yet??? I had a dream last night that I induldged in Qdobe queso and chips!  In my dream I thought "oh, screw it, I will just eat this meal and then start over again" and then while I was eating it, I was thinking "this isn't even that good! I should have ate something better than this if I was going to cheat" HA! ... when I woke up this morning, I was so mad that I cheated with food that wasn't even delicious for me anymore ... good thing it was a dream :P

I am starting to buy food, and not use it, and then throw it away =( I am spending 200$ a week or more on food!  I need some help with this.  Can anyone help me and give pointers on not over spending and wasting so much!  I threw out half a trash can of food on Sunday -_-

Hey all - Hope everything is going good for everyone so far!  Day 9 guys! Soon enough we will be half way there!  I am getting kind of nervous, I am throwing a surprise birthday party for my boyfriend and I am taking him to dinner as well.  It is going to be SO hard to not drink (I will be meeting all his friends for the FIRST time and we're going to an amazing restaurant!) .... any help, I am all ears.  Not sure how I am going to not give into anything ... it's this FRIDAY!

I am starting to buy food, and not use it, and then throw it away =( I am spending 200$ a week or more on food!  I need some help with this.  Can anyone help me and give pointers on not over spending and wasting so much!  I threw out half a trash can of food on Sunday -_-

As far as drinking goes, during my 1st whole30 I had one night where I was out with a group...I found that sticking to club soda with limes made me feel a little better (something about the bubbles, probably) and no one gave me attitude. It was hard tho. Can you look at the menu beforehand? Go in with a plan.

For purchasing foods, is it possible in your schedule to stock up on meats in one grocery trip and buy produce a few times a week? I am lucky and have a produce stand outside my work. Buying a few vegetables and fruits at a time helps me as it is just 2 of us at home (although going to the grocery store more than once a week isn't ideal). 

Take a look at this article http://whole9life.com/2011/01/paleo-poor-your-guide-to-the-grocery-store/

Also, meal plan then grocery shop. That way you're only buying what you need to make the meals you've chosen.

@CFChris - is having 'bulletproof' coffee in the morning enough fat for my morning meal?  Some days I just have 2 boiled eggs and a orange bell pepper for my veggie, and on those days I drink 'bulletproof' coffee to get my fat (1tsp coconut oil, 1 tsp ghee, 1 tsp 100% cocoa, and sometimes I add coconut milk)

Thanks!

Yes. Feel free to up the fats in the coffee to 1-2 thumb-sized portions.

Same here for fats, I eat almonds, pecans, hazelnuts, macadamia, and walnuts on a daily basis. Yes, I'm a nut fanatic! :D I also cook with ghee and/or coconut oil. I save the EVOO for my salads, since reading the book and finding out it is better to not heat it for the health benefits.

I'm not sure if my "I want a nap" stage yesterday and today is from the plan, or from hurting my back over the weekend.  :unsure:

I am proud of all of us for sticking to it and making it to Day 9!

But, on a better note ... anyone having the cheating with food dreams yet??? I had a dream last night that I induldged in Qdobe queso and chips!  In my dream I thought "oh, screw it, I will just eat this meal and then start over again" and then while I was eating it, I was thinking "this isn't even that good! I should have ate something better than this if I was going to cheat" HA! ... when I woke up this morning, I was so mad that I cheated with food that wasn't even delicious for me anymore ... good thing it was a dream :P

I use the "Green Bags", they work really well. All of my fresh veggies go straight into a bag when I get home. I bought a lot of veggies on the 14th, and haven't had to throw any out as yet. 

Hey everyone!  It's so good to see everyone still truckin' along and sticking to our commitments!  Whoever else said today was a "god, i just want to nap!" day hit it spot-on...the last four days, I've been crazy tired.  Today's a little better than yesterday, but I still can't stop yawning all the time...my clients think that I'm bored by them (actually, I am, but I'm not telling them that!).

So when is this fatigue thing supposed to go away?  I'm trying to get 8 hours of sleep in...even going to bed by 10PM...but I keep waking up at the 6 hour mark.  I had two blissful nights of 8 hour-sleep on days 2 and 3, but after that it's been back to old sleeping patterns.  Anyone else finding their sleep improving. or staying the same?

I haven't really had the energy to do any exercise outside of walking, and even that's been a challenge.  I'm not a gym-warrior, but I'm not a couch potato, either...I should be able to get through 2 miles of walking without wanting to fall into a coma, right?

What's everyone cooking for dinner tonight?  I'm making the shepard's pie and roasted cumin carrots from the Well Fed cookbook (people, seriously, go out and buy this book!  it's amazing!), and maybe bake some apples with cinnamon and coconut milk whipped cream (depending on how tired I am, this might have to wait).

Almost 1/3 of the way done guys! Yay!!

Anyways, I am with all of you on the nap. I have been so tired, AND waking up in the middle of the night. :( No fun at all. I almost fell asleep just now at work to be completely honest!

Thanks for the tips about meal planning - I still haven't gotten the hang of it and had another delicious salad from the store that I could have made at home for lunch today. <_< I promised my boyfriend I would make us lunches for the rest of the week tonight, so I'll be putting a whole chicken in the crock for that and making a pseudo-Chipotle bowl with shrimp and cauliflower rice for dinner tonight.

What have you guys been having for breakfast? Lately its been a 2-egg and spinach scramble with a small steak or chicken breast and some berries, (we workout at 6am) and a sweet potato mix with eggs, apples, sausage and onions on the weekend. Any other ideas that have been working for you all?

Almost 1/3 of the way done guys! Yay!!

Anyways, I am with all of you on the nap. I have been so tired, AND waking up in the middle of the night. :( No fun at all. I almost fell asleep just now at work to be completely honest!

Thanks for the tips about meal planning - I still haven't gotten the hang of it and had another delicious salad from the store that I could have made at home for lunch today. <_< I promised my boyfriend I would make us lunches for the rest of the week tonight, so I'll be putting a whole chicken in the crock for that and making a pseudo-Chipotle bowl with shrimp and cauliflower rice for dinner tonight.

What have you guys been having for breakfast? Lately its been a 2-egg and spinach scramble with a small steak or chicken breast and some berries, (we workout at 6am) and a sweet potato mix with eggs, apples, sausage and onions on the weekend. Any other ideas that have been working for you all?

My breakfast ranges from sausage and eggs with a veggie, to squash pudding, to baked sweet potatoes with toasted pecans.  :) Today I started with broken up sausage in the pan, then add scrambled eggs, a couple of spoons of the squash pudding, and then a handful of blueberries. It looked horrid, but tasted so good. :)

Checking in! I have been pretty hungry most days. I get filled up by the meals but about 2-3 hours after my stomach's starting to grumble. Today I"ve felt pretty good...but for the most part I've felt exhausted. Even took at nap at 11am on Sunday...that is unheard of for me! For the most part it's been easy to stick to, with planning and prep. I always have food on hand. I guess the hardest thing has been to stop going by the "what do I feel like eating?" to just eating something good that will nourish my body. I haven't been out to eat at all yet...and have only had one social event....a kid's bday party which was mid-afternoon, no meals, just cake/ice cream which I have no problem passing up (lol I'm a cake snob and don't do grocery store cake!)

For breakfast I either go with 2 hb eggs mixed w/ homemade mayo + raw veggies and a fruit, or poached eggs over sweet potatoes with a side of tomatoes and avocado. Lunches are usually chicken with stir fry veggies and avocado. Dinner is usually 2 servings of some veggie and meat (chicken, hamburger patty, shredded pork). We BBQd 2 tri tips the other day and had friends over...my hubby ended up sharing the leftover tri tip with them to take home. I could've killed him...that was for me for this week!!!! So instead of having several leftover helpings of it, I got one :angry:

So funny to read about the food dream...I had one last night. I never dream about food. I can't even remember what it was now...but I woke up thinking it was funny I had it.

Plan plan plan! And go with a list to the shop and only get what's on your list. :)

Ariellemc- Could you give us an example of your meals yesterday and Tuesday?

Sorry been super busy! I ended up figuring out I wasn't eating enough fats. Now that I am doing half an avocado or some coconut oil or nuts with each meal I am FULLY satiated until the next meal. I am usually a grazer so that's huge for me!

In other news., we have successfully navigated two restaurants so far, and one was Thai :) we also had some friends over for chile verde (which is 100% compliant! woo hoo!!) and I made them a bunch of non compliant sides and didn't even want them!! I used to eat 5-6 fresh tortillas just as a snack and they didn't do more than slightly tempt me :)))))

Plan plan plan! And go with a list to the shop and only get what's on your list. :)

I did that this week, and somehow I ended up with more than I needed still.  I ended up defrosting to much ground beef to make meat balls and ended up making some burger patties ... and then I also made dinner for my boyfriend and I one night, and he ended up working late, so I had extra left overs.  SO things I didn't plan for is what's screwing me up ;)

Archived