First Whole30, starting 2/17/14!

Sounds like everyone's doing great! And I echo the comments about only telling certain people. During my first w30, I made the mistake of trying to explain why I was only eating certain things to my grandparent's friends. I got a lot of, "oh, so you're eating low carb to lose weight." Sigh.

This week is going to be my hardest week, with a long work day coordinating an after hours event tomorrow and a road trip on Saturday/Sunday. But I've got plans in place, so hoping it isn't too bad! Seriously considering extending until the end of March.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I was just thinking about something that I have to do this week. A bit of a confession about me...while I'm working on changing my lifestyle, I have a side business of custom cakes/cookies. I haven't done much work lately, but I have a cookie order this week. I honestly don't have a problem with being tempted when working on my orders, but I do usually taste batter/icing to make sure the flavor is spot on. With these cookies, I'm not worried about testing the cookie dough but more so the icing as I usually wing it on flavorings.

So what should I do? Forego it and hope it's ok? Small taste test? (We're talking maybe 1/8tsp if that). I don't have anyone that would be around to test it for me or else I'd do that. Help!

Amylou maybe you can get a volunteer to be your taste tester. I think it would be hard to smell all that wonderful baking so good for you for not being tempted.

I just wanted to check in and say that all is going well I am really feeling a sense of calm and energy. I wouldn't call it tiger blood but I would say energy is staying consistent and I am getting into a better rhythm of sleep/wake. My cravings are under control too. It is hard to believe that I am this far along and have not fallen off the healthy eating. YAY!

I hope everyone has a great day.

So, I was just thinking about something that I have to do this week. A bit of a confession about me...while I'm working on changing my lifestyle, I have a side business of custom cakes/cookies. I haven't done much work lately, but I have a cookie order this week. I honestly don't have a problem with being tempted when working on my orders, but I do usually taste batter/icing to make sure the flavor is spot on. With these cookies, I'm not worried about testing the cookie dough but more so the icing as I usually wing it on flavorings.

So what should I do? Forego it and hope it's ok? Small taste test? (We're talking maybe 1/8tsp if that). I don't have anyone that would be around to test it for me or else I'd do that. Help!

Amylou, after discovering what the tiny bit of feta did to me last week, I would say forego the taste test. I still feel like I'm on track and day 16, but I know that with that little bit of cheese I had to do a restart, so now I'm back to 5. You just have to decide if it is worth losing those 16 days over.

We had a professional pastry chef who did a Whole30 last year, and she chose to spit out after tasting. That approach may or may not work for you.

Boy, I wish I had some of this tiger blood everyone is talking about. I can't seem to find it. I also haven't really noticed any changes other than not being hungry as often. Feeling a little discouraged, but refusing to get on that scale. I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

Boy, I wish I had some of this tiger blood everyone is talking about. I can't seem to find it. I also haven't really noticed any changes other than not being hungry as often. Feeling a little discouraged, but refusing to get on that scale. I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

I also haven't developed that Tiger blood yet...I am super tired most nights :-(

What keeps me going really is the experimenting in the kitchen! This is really spicing things up and allowed me to break out of a lot of routine.

Not sure if I will be able to figure out my food allergies, as originally intended, but it is a good experience nevertheless.

What are other positive things you are experiencing APOCrunch? Focusing on them may help you regain earlier motivation!

I have been craving fruit the past 2 days. Yikes, so I am going to cut down on my fruit intake  going forward. I probably will just not buy anymore fruit for the remainder of the plan. My bloating has ceased somewhat, and my bowels have returned to somewhat normal functioning. I had a lot of energy during my workouts yesterday which was 2 hours in duration total. I do intend to continue a 90/10 paleo diet once I finished. I think it's best for my body, and I have for the first time enjoyed cooking food.

What are other positive things you are experiencing APOCrunch? Focusing on them may help you regain earlier motivation!

I do feel better in general, my digestive issues have pretty much disappeared, and I like the challenge of finding new things to try. But my life is so on-the-go that it's tough for me to prep things ahead of time. I'm sure we all wish there were more hours in a day!

I agree it is hard to prepare when you are on the run.  I just got back from a business trip so I didn't have the ability to pack and take any food since I was flying and did not have a car when I was landed.  I did a pretty good job with eating out and also with room service.  Thank goodness!! 

In regards to fruit I think I have to watch that too.  I have had 1-2 apples a day after a meal but I find I am thinking so much about the apple at the end it might not be setting up good behavior.  However, I am so proud of myself for making it this far and I am feeling physically very good!!!  Here's to finishing day 18 strong!

Reducing fruit people unite, lol!

While I'm at it I will probably reduce raw cashews. I grab a handful when hungry. Sugar and crunch are my cravings. Crunchy veggies just don't do it for me! Hopefully these changes help. I am not feeling the baggy pants thing yet. I know that's not the point, but just being honest, I was hoping to drop a few pounds...

Random oops...sprinkled a little cumin instead of cinnamon on some apples this evening while prepping to serve them with pork. Still going to try them! ;)

Day 19 tomorrow!

Still here and doing good. I bought Well fed. Everything we have made was amazing. I am enjoying cooking again. I notice my clothes are getting big!! I feel pretty good. Still really tired by 8 but sleeping good and waking up refreshed.

Anyone have Well Fed 2? How is it?

Cool SarahR! I am thinking about buying Against all Grain next week and maybe I will try Well Fed 2 also. I am looking forward to continuing this lifestyle once my whole 30 is completed. I found a few dishes I found on the internet I want to try once this Whole30 is completed. I am holding off on major new recipes because I don't want to slip at this point.

I own all three books mentioned - well fed 2 definitely is my favorite. The recipes are super easy to follow, leave room for adaptation according to own taste and an extensive chapter on meal planning/shopping/resources is included too. I actually started off with well fed 2 and only later bought the first volume. The second is really a step up from the first (in terms of how it's written/the additional info it contains); however the first one also has great recipes! So definitely worth buying as well. Everyone owning the two books should be good to go :-)

Against all grain is more comprehensive, however many recipes aren't whole 30 compliant; it will be a great asset for the life after the whole 30. Additionally I bought Nom Nom Paleo- very practical & fun to read.

I did pick up the first Well Fed the same time I bought ISWF. So far I'm finding a lot of recipes with things that I don't have in my house. Living in middle-of-nowhere-Maine, it's tough to find things sometimes. We have a local organic and health food store, but it's small. (Although I did manage to find ghee there).

It's Day 19 for us, and I started getting serious food boredom about 2 days ago. But last night I made some naked burgers with 96% beef and mayo wrapped in lettuce and they definitely hit the spot. Tomorrow I might try a pork roast and see how it turns out.

I've also tried to limit my fruit. I have an apple or banana in the morning, but generally stop after that. I'm not losing the weight like I had hoped, but I know that's not the purpose, and it will come if I continue to eat better beyond the program :-)

We are 2/3 complete!! How is everyone? I have reduced fruit and nuts the past few days and plan to stay that way. I also am going to try to really increase green veggies for the last 10 days. Maybe that will take the place of the green beer I will not be drinking next weekend! ;)

We are 2/3 complete!! How is everyone? I have reduced fruit and nuts the past few days and plan to stay that way. I also am going to try to really increase green veggies for the last 10 days. Maybe that will take the place of the green beer I will not be drinking next weekend! ;)

Yeah for Day 20! I forgot St. Patrick's Day is coming. Maybe you should have a celebration after your Whole30 is complete. :)

I bought a few oranges from the local market today,  but that's the only fruit I bought for this week. I've been trying to increase my veggies and protein intake also. I'm doing a workout program along with the whole 30, so I need the extra protein to aid in my recovery and to reduce muscle soreness. I'm going to attempt to make a cauliflower rice with a chicken/veggie curry dish. I cross my fingers it turns out well.

I have definitely avoided nuts the whole time, since I know how easily I can eat too much. One day I did eat nuts, when at my parents house and I overdid it. Fruit I have been naturally eating moderately. I only have it in the house for my son, and have mostly just been eating it with him, if he doesn't finish at lunch or something. Or to use it up if it's staring to go. If you would have told me I could go without eating nuts, but butters, much fruit or hummus and be happy about it before whole 30 I would not have believed it. But eating whole 30 meals, I don't even need snacks, so I don't need those foods.

I think I have also learned coconut milk does not agree with me. Too bad I was planning to make a curry...is there any recipes to use curry paste without coconut milk? I made the caulifloer mashed potatoes (also, yuck, maybe it's because I don't like mashed potatoes anyway, but this is the only thing since I started whole 30 I didn't like), anyways I had some stomach troubles and the only thing new I ate was the coconut milk. I do fine with small amounts of coconut flesh, shredded coconut and water and oil though, so not bring able to use the milk is no big deal. I also have stomach problems with dried fruit so I have been reading, and it is possible I have fructose malabsorption.

I am so happy that I did not have any parties or anything like that scheduled this weekend because I sure would like a glass of champagne. I goes so nicely with a nice steak or nice meal. When I am done with the 30 days I am going to continue the whole30 way but will allow myself some of the small pleasures such as some additional fruit, and occasional glass of champagne, and I would love to try some of the almond flour, coconut flour baked things.

I guess I am yearning to be done. :-)

I did pick up the first Well Fed the same time I bought ISWF. So far I'm finding a lot of recipes with things that I don't have in my house. Living in middle-of-nowhere-Maine, it's tough to find things sometimes. We have a local organic and health food store, but it's small. (Although I did manage to find ghee there).

It's Day 19 for us, and I started getting serious food boredom about 2 days ago. But last night I made some naked burgers with 96% beef and mayo wrapped in lettuce and they definitely hit the spot. Tomorrow I might try a pork roast and see how it turns out.

I've also tried to limit my fruit. I have an apple or banana in the morning, but generally stop after that. I'm not losing the weight like I had hoped, but I know that's not the purpose, and it will come if I continue to eat better beyond the program :-)

This is a great easy recipe... you just.don't add.cheese.obviously and I.guess you could.look up a paleo.ranch dip, but I prefer this as is no.cheese.or.ranch. eat with some.celery.

.soooo good...

http://paleonadime.blogspot.com/2013/05/loaded-buffalo-chicken-and-cauliflower.html?m=1

This is a great easy recipe... you just.don't add.cheese.obviously and I.guess you could.look up a paleo.ranch dip, but I prefer this as is no.cheese.or.ranch. eat with some.celery.

.soooo good...

http://paleonadime.blogspot.com/2013/05/loaded-buffalo-chicken-and-cauliflower.html?m=1

Well I woke up way too early today but it gave me a chance to look through the Well Fed2 cookbook. WOW there are some great recipes in there. I am going to have to give a few of them a try. I have to say I am really excited about this last week not necessarily to get done with the whole30 but more of the excitement that I will have made a 30 day commitment to myself and I have reached that goal.

So far here are the benefits I am seeing. Day 21

1. I am not having the sugar cravings like I have in the past....I even have Girl Scout cookies & Hershey kisses in the pantry and I have not touched any of that stuff and it hasn't been that hard.

2. I am cooking more and eating so much better

3. I have more energy

4. Better quality sleep but not necessarily longer (some nights yes/other nights no)

5. I think I am getting rid of stored fat, my clothes are fitter better and I do not have the lumpy look where I had extra fat

6. I just feel better

I look forward to the final assessment. I did not do any measurements but I have a couple of pieces of clothing that will tell me how far I have come in body composition. Re-introduction will tell me how far I have come in changing my way of eating.

Anybody else have some things to report?

Well I woke up way too early today but it gave me a chance to look through the Well Fed2 cookbook. WOW there are some great recipes in there. I am going to have to give a few of them a try. I have to say I am really excited about this last week not necessarily to get done with the whole30 but more of the excitement that I will have made a 30 day commitment to myself and I have reached that goal.

So far here are the benefits I am seeing. Day 21

1. I am not having the sugar cravings like I have in the past....I even have Girl Scout cookies & Hershey kisses in the pantry and I have not touched any of that stuff and it hasn't been that hard.

2. I am cooking more and eating so much better

3. I have more energy

4. Better quality sleep but not necessarily longer (some nights yes/other nights no)

5. I think I am getting rid of stored fat, my clothes are fitter better and I do not have the lumpy look where I had extra fat

6. I just feel better

I look forward to the final assessment. I did not do any measurements but I have a couple of pieces of clothing that will tell me how far I have come in body composition. Re-introduction will tell me how far I have come in changing my way of eating.

Anybody else have some things to report?

1. I have way more energy, but am still crashing about 10:30pm

2. My tight clothes are fitting better

3. I sleep really well, but not necessarily longer either.

4. I know for sure that I have a the very least a sensitivity to dairy, if not a full on allergy

5. I eat much better

My observations:

1. Sleep much more soundly. My husband says I am not snoring anymore! :) And, no need to push snooze 5 times in the morning!

2. Much more energy. I love naps and really haven't taken any since starting the W30.

3. Significant hormonal changes.

4. I'm loving the cooking. A lot of experimentation and time in the kitchen. I run my dishwasher daily.

5. My clothes aren't necessarily fitting better, but I feel like my body is becoming more defined. Maybe this is just wishful thinking??

6. My yoga practice is stronger. More endurance all the way through the end of class.

7. I am fully convinced that I need and want to continue this way of eating. I knew prior to starting this how much food impacts my body, but to actually eat this way and see such amazing results is just amazing to me! I'm all in!

8. I find myself, and my husband would agree, that I am less moody, lol! I also feel confident and have more mental clarity. All around I just feel good!

Archived