Feel Like I Am Eating Too Much!!

ErynRNY

Hi All! Today is Day 3 of my first Whole30 and so far so good, but I can't get rid of the feeling that I am eating too much. I feel satiated after my meals, and not overly stuffed. I am making it from one meal to the next without snacking, trying to stay in tune with actual hunger vs. cravings. The steamed fish and broccoli reference is a really big help. I think feeling like I'm overeating is a mental thing and I just need someone sane to reassure me that I am doing ok. I did a lot of research before I started the W30, and I love pretty much all of the allowed foods which is a huge plus. I was slowly cutting out bread, grains, legumes, and dairy before I actually started, so it hasn't been a great shock to me to not be able to have them. Of course I have been conditioned over the years like everyone else that fats are bad, eating meat with every meal is too much, etc., and that mentality is very hard to change, even though I really want to. I have not been eating any pre or post WO meals as I am not currently exercising. I plan to start a Couch to 5K program next week. Here is a log of what I've been eating until now. Any comments/suggestions are appreciated!! 

Day 1 - 2/3/2014
Breakfast
3 Scrambled Eggs Cooked w/1tsp Ghee
Sliced Strawberries w/Handful of Coconut Flakes
Sliced Cucumber, Pepper, & Jicama

Lunch
1 Cup Pork Lettuce Wrap Filling (made with ground pork, mushrooms, red pepper, water chestnuts, garlic, ginger)
1 TBS Sunshine Sauce (theclothesmakethegirl.com)
1.5 Cups Bok Choy sauteed w/coconut aminos
1/2 Avocado

Dinner
1 Cup Chocolate Chili (theclothesmakethegirl.com)
1 Roasted Sweet Potato
Greens sauteed w/1 TBS Coconut oil
1/2 Avocado

Day 2 - 2/4/2014
Breakfast
Canned Salmon w/celery & 2TBS Homemade Mayo
Sliced Red Pepper, Celery Sticks
Banana

Lunch
1 Cup Chocolate Chili (theclothesmakethegirl.com) 
Roasted Delicata Squash (roasted w/coconut oil, salt, pepper)
Fennel, Orange, & Olive Salad (sliced fennel, orange sections, sliced shallot & olives drizzled w/a little olive oil, lemon juice, salt, & pepper - this is delicious BTW!!)

Dinner
Damn Fine Chicken (2 drumsticks) (nomnompaleo.com)
Sauteed Greens
Cocoa Toasted Cauliflower (theclothesmakethegirl.com)
1/2 cup Frozen Cherries w/coconut milk

Day 3 - 2/5/14
Breakfast
3 Eggs w/Mushrooms & Shallots cooked w/1 TBS coconut oil
Fennel, Orange, & Olive Salad
Handful of coconut flakes

Lunch
1 Cup Pork Lettuce Wrap Filling
1 TBS Sunshine Sauce (theclothesmakethegirl.com)
1.5 Cups Bok Choy sauteed w/coconut aminos
1/2 cup Frozen Cherries w/Coconut Milk

You look like you are doing good too me!

I chronically underate for many years (constantly hungry) and I gained weight pretty quickly on the low fat diet.  I kept on thinking I was doing this "eating" thing wrong.  Well I was!  I wasn't eating nearly enough.  Eating like this was the most restrictive but freeing way of eating that I have ever encountered.  I have NEVER been able to lose 35lbs (in a 7 months span) and then NOT gain it back. That was a year ago. 

• Moderators

The cooperation of your hormones is essential to weight loss. The secret that most programs do not talk about is that restricting calories throws the rhythm of your hormones off and makes weight loss more difficult, not easier. When you eat the proper amount - like you are now - your hormones start doing right and they let you release fat if you have extra fat to release. And Bethany is right, if you begin to exercise, you will need to eat more because what you are reporting sounds like the minimum you need. 

Thank you both for your replies! It feels good to have someone validate that I'm doing it correctly. I have been an on/off member of Weight Watchers for years (not very successfully, I might add), so I keep thinking to myself "would all of this food fit into my allowed points for the day?". I am certainly NOT counting else I might completely lose my mind if I actually confirmed that this is indeed going over my daily points allowance! Old habits die hard I guess. I'm trying to keep an open mind and go with the flow here. So far I am really liking it and am having lots of fun experimenting with the recipes from theclothesmakethegirl.com and nomnompaleo.com. Those two ladies rock!! 

Thank you both for your replies! It feels good to have someone validate that I'm doing it correctly. I have been an on/off member of Weight Watchers for years (not very successfully, I might add), so I keep thinking to myself "would all of this food fit into my allowed points for the day?". I am certainly NOT counting else I might completely lose my mind if I actually confirmed that this is indeed going over my daily points allowance! Old habits die hard I guess. I'm trying to keep an open mind and go with the flow here. So far I am really liking it and am having lots of fun experimenting with the recipes from theclothesmakethegirl.com and nomnompaleo.com. Those two ladies rock!! 

I come from a long term relationship with Weight Watchers and calorie counting. In fact I went on Weight Watchers the first time almost 26 years ago. Cray cray! This is the only thing I have found keeps me feeling good with energy and not struggling with binge eating.

On the points system I will say you are right, it won't fit in with your points. But that is because the points system is skewed to a low fat/high carb mentality which W30 definitely is not. I have so many problems with the points system that I could rant and rave for hours on it. ;)

Just curious as to why you're measuring everything so precisely. Weighing/measuring/counting runs against one of the most fundamental tenets of the W30 which is to listen to your body. I know it's hard to stop doing these things but it might, on some level, alleviate the anxiety about eating too much and really allow you to eat according to your body's needs. Just a thought. 

runninglawyer88, as I said above, old habits die hard! :-) But seriously, you are right. I'm not really measuring EVERYTHING, I really just wanted a way to quantify how much I am taking in and have it make sense. Mostly I am eyeballing my portions, with the exception of cooking oils which I do tend to use measuring spoons for. So most of the measurements above are pretty much estimated. Thanks for your input! 

runninglawyer88, as I said above, old habits die hard! :-) But seriously, you are right. I'm not really measuring EVERYTHING, I really just wanted a way to quantify how much I am taking in and have it make sense. Mostly I am eyeballing my portions, with the exception of cooking oils which I do tend to use measuring spoons for. So most of the measurements above are pretty much estimated. Thanks for your input! 

Obviously measuring is fine for cooking a recipe. I think what she was trying to communicate is to start thinking of your portions more in terms of the size of your palms and thumbs. For example each meal should have 1-2 palm sized servings of protein. What that is in cups is going to vary from person to person. I'm sure Dallas' 1 palm serving is quite a bit larger than mine. ;) 

Eryn,

I'm on day 4. It is hard after being on WW for so long to stop counting and measuring. I'm the same way. But yesterday I decided to just let go and trust the process.  I am sticking to the template and constantly reminding myself "we'll see what happens."

Hope that helps,

R

I see. I hope I didn't come across as harsh at all. I think you're doing great and if your feels are satiating without making you feel stuffed then just trust that its the right amount. I am breaking my 5+year long habit of tracking everything and truly just getting what I feel is a satisfying portion of things and not thinking much about it beyond that. I know it's hard but in 30 days you certainly won't GAIN any significant amount of weight even if just so happened that you were overeating so trusting in the process is more than worth the highly unlikely possibility that you show a slight gain at the end of this--the freedom to trust yourself with food and listen to your hunger cues is more than worth a pound or two in my book. Odds are you'll stay the same weight, at worst. I think starting a workout regime will also help you to be more confident that you're not eating too much at all (although the addition of a pre/post workout meal is advised once you begin). Best of luck to you and know that you're not alone in feeling apprehensive about just going with it and trusting in the process.

Archived