Whole30 without Power

CpBatchelor

Just wanted to see if anyone else in the South/Southeastern US did some extra food prep to prepare for the upcoming storm?

Looking at 2-4 inches (or more) of snow with 1/4 to 1/2 inch of ICE :( here in Durham, NC. Last time we had Ice this bad was back in 2002 and I had no power for 4 days... Ugh..

So what is everyone cooking up?

I know that I did an extra crock pot meal (Veggie and Beef Stew) and will be roasting up some extra sweet potatoes tonight... I do not have a propane or camping grill (against HOA rules) so I will have to rely on cold meals LOL...

My pre Whole30 Napa, CA wine arrived yesterday.... I have hidden it since I will remain Whole30 compliant with no wine even without power... 

I'm in Northern VA and we are expecting 6-9 inches.  I cooked up my lunches on Sunday, so I have chicken, broccoli, and sweet potato in the fridge.  I think I might make some chili tonight, that would keep me nice and warm for the next couple of days.

We are expecting a lot of snow, but no power outages. 

I'm in Northern VA and we are expecting 6-9 inches.  I cooked up my lunches on Sunday, so I have chicken, broccoli, and sweet potato in the fridge.  I think I might make some chili tonight, that would keep me nice and warm for the next couple of days.

We are expecting a lot of snow, but no power outages. 

I keep hoping that the storm will shift and there will be no ice... LOL... Maybe the weather folks just really have it wrong this time? LOL

CpBatchelor - I was in Chapel Hill for that 2002 ice storm and just wanted to say kudos to you for sticking to W30 during anything like that! I hope the damage is minimal!

Thanks Jent! I am keeping my fingers, toes, legs, etc crossed that it really is minimal damage... Today is Day 22 and I am feeling great... I just have to keep reminding myself of that if things get rough... Thankfully I cleaned the house of any non-compliant items that do not require cooking... So I know that will help as I do not think it will get bad enough for me to eat uncooked quinoa HAHAHAH... But I am glad that I did have some extra prep time to ensure that I had enough compliant items cooked so that they could be eaten cold... Good thing I do not mind cold sweet potatoes :)

I'm in the Atlanta area, and I prepped.

Bought some extra tuna, and some sardines (I don't know that I'm brave enough to eat them straight from the can, but if I'm hungry enough, I will), some canned pineapple (it was the only fruit I could find that was packed in juice and not syrup). I made scotch eggs yesterday for lunch, and I have leftovers from dinner last night. I'm planning on making hard boiled eggs today so I'll have those if I need them. I roasted a couple of sweet potatoes last night to have those available. I've also got some veggies I can eat raw.

I'm in Pensacola, Florida and we lost power and had iced over roads for a couple of days during the storm a couple of weeks ago. We had friends over and we sat up into the wee hours of the morning and played cards by candle light.  They were all cramming snacks and chips and such, but I was doing a W30, so I allowed myself to snack a little that night on apples dipped in almond butter mixed with 100% cocoa. Compliant ingredients, non-compliant preparation and circumstance, but I figured since things were so crazy that it SNOWED in FLORIDA, that I should be allowed one little treat. :-)  I didn't start my W30 over, but probably should have. 

Luckily I had the forethought to roast some chicken thighs, parsnips and sweet potatoes that literally finished cooking moments before the power went out!

I'm in Pensacola, Florida and we lost power and had iced over roads for a couple of days during the storm a couple of weeks ago. We had friends over and we sat up into the wee hours of the morning and played cards by candle light.  They were all cramming snacks and chips and such, but I was doing a W30, so I allowed myself to snack a little that night on apples dipped in almond butter mixed with 100% cocoa. Compliant ingredients, non-compliant preparation and circumstance, but I figured since things were so crazy that it SNOWED in FLORIDA, that I should be allowed one little treat. :-)  I didn't start my W30 over, but probably should have. 

Luckily I had the forethought to roast some chicken thighs, parsnips and sweet potatoes that literally finished cooking moments before the power went out!

I don't think you should've started over for that. If you ate a HEAP of cocoa then maybe but people put cocoa in their coffee during a whole 30 and don't start over, people also eat apples with almond butter regularly and don't start over...although not ideal I don't see anything that warrants a restart. 

Snow in florida is def a crazy thing... :) I agree with runninglawyer! 

You def deserve kudos for not giving into the non compliant chips and such! :)

Recipe please!  Scotch eggs are usually breaded and deep fried around here...i would love to have a W30 version

Here's Well Fed's recipe: http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/05/17/scotch-eggs-a-k-a-protein-pellets/

Note: the Penzey's Italian Sausage Seasoning she lists is not Whole30 compliant, as it contains sugar. So just use one of the other options she provides.

Hi over there in Durham! I hope you have kept your power! I saw the mess on the Raleigh interstate on the news last night! No fun!

I did my regular cook-up on Sunday, so have quite a bit of food ready. I think I'll be good for power, though. I teach in the mountains and we haven't had school since Monday. Being snowed in my little log house with dogs,W30 compliant food and a woodstove is AWESOME! :)

Cheers and stay warm!

Hi over there in Durham! I hope you have kept your power! I saw the mess on the Raleigh interstate on the news last night! No fun!

I did my regular cook-up on Sunday, so have quite a bit of food ready. I think I'll be good for power, though. I teach in the mountains and we haven't had school since Monday. Being snowed in my little log house with dogs,W30 compliant food and a woodstove is AWESOME! :)

Cheers and stay warm!

Thanks 2fast! Yeah power is still on here which is surprising since we did get 1/4 inch of ice on top of 4.5 inches of snow and then about 1/2 of sleet... But it just started to snow/sleet again so as long as the wind stays calm we may be alright! It was nice this morning to wake up and know that I had already made meal 1 and meal 2 for the day and just needed to heat it up... So it was nice to watch the news and drink some coffee and relax.

Oh how I miss the mountains! Not so much this time of year LOL as I am not a snow fan much anymore LOL... but in the summer. I spent 4 years in Cullowhee and countless summers in Brevard where my grandmother and aunt lived.

Hope that you stay warm and safe as well! :) 

CpBatchelor, I was just on a conference call with a coworker based in Durham and I was shocked that she still had power! Glad to know everything is good so far!

I *am* afraid that canceling UNC-Duke is a sign of the apocalypse.

Oh yes the canceling of the game is a sign of the apocalypse... It was a surprise but at the same time expected considering how bad the roads were yesterday evening with all the folks stuck on them... It definitely intensifies the rivalry! The game on the 20th should def be a good one since I know that both teams were amped up... The trash talking around here is going to be much worse next week too LOL... 

Just wanted to see if anyone else in the South/Southeastern US did some extra food prep to prepare for the upcoming storm?

Here in Oregon's  Willamette Valley, we got the predicted 10" of snow topped with 1/2" of ice. There was plenty of warning, so yes, I cooked up a bunch of protein--boiled eggs, steak, and chicken--and sweet potatoes.Tasty but simple. The freezing rain and some wind brought down tree limbs, trees, and power lines. A lot of people were out of power for about 24 hours. Luckily we were spared downed power lines but not the ice-ladened tree limbs on parked cars. We had 8" a couple of weeks ago, but no freezing rain.

Archived