Whole 30 Cooking with Kids

bookluvingbabe

DS is 6 and has been fascinated by the kitchen for a while.  When I make chili he likes to decide if I'm adding a can of pumpkin or sweet potatoes or butternut squash.  He likes to stir and he likes to help decide the menu for the week.

Two weeks ago, he asked if he could make meatballs for dinner.  WIth minimal supervision from me (I cut the veggies into chunks for the food processor and made sure he didn't set himself on fire), he made  a paleo meatball and a pretty decent red sauce.

Yesterday he made meatloaf--ground beef, celery and mushrooms .  Again, minimal supervision from me and tasty.  

And he eats what he cooks without complaint.  

Is anyone else having success getting their kids into the kitchen to help cook?

That is AWESOME. My 6-year-old wants to help cook, but I have a toddler underfoot...and I'm a bit of a control freak in the kitchen. (I'm working on that.) However, he's really getting involved in helping choose meals and plan menus. He makes great suggestions for what goes with what.

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight I was making red sauce (onions, carrots, zucchini, mushrooms, tomatoes and 2 pounds of ground beef) when DS came into the kitchen.  He peered at it and asked, "Is it 30 compliant?"  When I said yes, he asked, "Does it have grains, dairy, sugar or legumes?"  When I told him no, he rushed upstairs to tell his father that it was okay, he had checked and dinner was compliant.  

• 3 months later...

Yes. I have a book called Paleo Cooking for Cavekids. It has kid friendly recipes and illustrated step by step instructions. My preschooler loves to cook with me from it. The recipes are basic, but I spice them up for grown ups.

• 2 weeks later...

That's awesome!  I encourage my daughter to help, but she doesn't show as much interest as I would like.

She does like painting on coconut oil to sweet potatoes or acorn squash before I roast it.  But other than that, she's not too into cooking.  I'll keep trying though!

Tonight I was making red sauce (onions, carrots, zucchini, mushrooms, tomatoes and 2 pounds of ground beef) when DS came into the kitchen.  He peered at it and asked, "Is it 30 compliant?"  When I said yes, he asked, "Does it have grains, dairy, sugar or legumes?"  When I told him no, he rushed upstairs to tell his father that it was okay, he had checked and dinner was compliant.  

Ha!  I love this!

I made Merguez sausage meatballs yesterday with my 11 year old's help (I cut cayenne in half when cooking from the Well Fed cookbooks) and when she tasted them she said "can we make these again?  Like.....every day?' 

I love it when they enjoy good food.

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely getting my kids to help with the cooking has increased their willingness to eat compliant foods. As does giving them funny names. We made meatballs the other day. I stuck them on a popsicle stick and called them "meatball lollipops." lol

Archived