kombucha is fantastic. I loved having some in a wine glass on occasion.

Start slow - only drink 1/4 to 1/2 of a bottle.

I like GT's Gingerberry (has a kick) and Strawberry Serenity (a bit sweeter). Gingerade is quite good too. Try several flavors and see what you like.

Thanks!  I tried the gingerberry.  I drank about half the bottle.  I noticed soon after I felt really warm and dizzy ... is that a normal reaction after drinking komnucha for the first time?  It went away after a while.

I just bought some kombucha this weekend, only got 1 bottle and I'm in LOVE!  Is this something that should be consumed daily?  How much?  Seems like this could add up quickly at $3.99 a bottle but I can see myself enjoying 1/2 a bottle every few days, that would make it more manageable. 

Thanks!  I tried the gingerberry.  I drank about half the bottle.  I noticed soon after I felt really warm and dizzy ... is that a normal reaction after drinking komnucha for the first time?  It went away after a while.

Kombucha does have a slight alcohol content (very very little) so you may have reacted to that. Depends on how sensitive you are. Some bottles are stronger than others.

I just bought some kombucha this weekend, only got 1 bottle and I'm in LOVE!  Is this something that should be consumed daily?  How much?  Seems like this could add up quickly at $3.99 a bottle but I can see myself enjoying 1/2 a bottle every few days, that would make it more manageable. 

I generally drink about 1/2 a bottle (8 ozs) a day. I've heard rumor that you can get it cheaper at Costco and when my store has a sale I tend to stock up a little (within reason as they do have an expiration date). If you really decide you like it you can brew your own. There is a whole thread devoted to that on here: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/10419-kombucha-makers-unite-where-to-ask-and-be-answered/

I just tried my first bottle yesterday as well.  I loved it.  Will definitely try some more in the future.  But, a little goes a long way.  I drank about half a bottle yesterday over the course of the day.

• Moderators

It's kind of a "buzz" feeling ... maybe start with only 1/4 bottle you feel it that much. It definitely takes a little getting used to both when you drink it AND its effect on your gut. If you have healing to do in there, it will "speed it along" - as in, gets worse before it gets better. Thus the slow introduction.

Kombucha is full of probiotic bacteria, it can cause stomach cramps and discomfort if you drink it on an empty stomach because the bacteria won't have any food to act on. Same thing happens if you take a probiotic supplement in a capsule. Always take with food!

• 2 weeks later...

I LOVE GT's, have been drinking Kombucha for years and was soooo happy to find out I didn't have to give it up on my whole30. My favorites are the strawberry serenity and the ginger, cosmic cranberry is pretty good too. I don't care for the Mango because it is really sweet to me, but lots of folks like that one too. Incidentally, i have saved a lot of their bottles, they are great for using to mjx up salad dressing/marinades or filling up with some peppermint tea to take on the go...then I just throw them and the caps in the dishwasher.

I used to make my own, it is inexpensive although takes up some space/time to make it at home, but I am in the process of growing a new SCOBY ( the starter right now). Very excited to start making it again.

Kombucha is super easy and SUPER CHEAP to make at home!  Look up "continuous brew kombucha" 

I drink kombucha everyday and I love it. It helps me with sugar cravings.

I recommend GTs enlightened, because even though it may have a few grams of sugar (some flavors lower than others) it is all from the organic fruit juices which is whole30 approved

Drink up and enjoy!

Archived