Day 19 and I'm having a craving for chocolate that is killing me

I've been paleo, for the most part, for a year, but I'm on my first whole 30.  Day 19 to be exact.  I do have small kids in the house, and they do have non-paleo snacks.  I've been so great about not being tempted with their foods.  Until today.  Its a snow day, and there is a box of chocolate donuts that are calling out to me. I've not struggled with a temptation this strong since starting.  I just want to take a bite of the luscious chocolate donut...to be exact its the oreo mint creme donut from dunkin donuts.  Damn you sugar!  Damn you!!!!  

I've been paleo, for the most part, for a year, but I'm on my first whole 30.  Day 19 to be exact.  I do have small kids in the house, and they do have non-paleo snacks.  I've been so great about not being tempted with their foods.  Until today.  Its a snow day, and there is a box of chocolate donuts that are calling out to me. I've not struggled with a temptation this strong since starting.  I just want to take a bite of the luscious chocolate donut...to be exact its the oreo mint creme donut from dunkin donuts.  Damn you sugar!  Damn you!!!!  

Try drinking some tea. Check the ingredients for soy, stevia or other sweeteners. It really helps me.

Additional advice:

- Put a sticky note on the box that says "NOT FOR MOM!" on the box of donuts in as big print as you can.

- Pick an activity to do every time you feel the urge to eat one. Reconditioning your sugar response is key here. 

- Remind yourself that donuts won't cease to exist before the end of your Whole30 and after you are done you are more than free to have one if you decide it is worth it and special.

- Keep a printed list of why you are doing the Whole30 and what your goals are in a prominent place in your kitchen.

Hang in there! You are stronger than donuts!

I successfully waited it out.  Yeah!!!

The one recommendation I didn't follow on whole 30 was to put away any non-paleo foods.  My whole family isn't 100% paleo, I'm the only whole 30, and I just didn't think it fair.  Plus, just as you said, I will be getting my kids snacks, cutting up their pizza etc after Whole 30.  So if I can't handle handling their food without breaking down, what was the point.  My approach was to just white knuckle it through, and I did. :)  I think part of teh urge is I know I can't have it now, and that makes it tougher.  Mostly I can get through a temptation by saying "its only 30 days, then I can have it if I choose...but this time, that didn't work."  haha

Thanks guys.  I made it through without breaking my Whole 30, trashing the entire box, or killing someone (haha)

Why are the donuts there in the first place?  Even though my daughter didn't participate in our whole 30, we got all the junk food out of the house.  My daughter is 8 and we are trying to teach her healthy eating choices from the start.  It's hard to do that when things like donuts are sitting on the counter.  "Why eat veggies when there are donuts there?" the kids are probably thinking....

A better alternative would be a bowl of fresh fruit sitting around.  If the kids want to snack, they can have fruit.  If they aren't hungry enough for fruit, they aren't hungry (we call it 'the apple test').

I wouldn't be able to resist a box of donuts....just sayin'.  It's like the fox guarding the henhouse!

Part of my reason for doing Whole 30 is to be able to live a life of choice where others don't need to remove the temptation from me.  That's my mental challenge in changing my relationship to food. I need to be able to see, smell, and touch foods that may trigger a mental craving and not cave in.  That is my journey.  

I know there are households that are very paleo strict, but mine isn't and I don't think it ever will be.  My kids eat plenty of healthful, whole foods, and that makes up the majority of their diet.  But that doesn't mean we won't have the occasional box of munchkins or cupcakes in the house.    I know its against dogma, but I don't fully subscribe to the idea that you have to eliminate all "tempting" foods to be able to make healthy food choices. While I would fully agree that our food supply should not have so many hard to pronounce chemicals and non-foods, I don't have issue with food choices like grains, legumes, dairy, etc. My thought on it is my kids will model us, and if we make good food choices, even when not so good ones are there, that's what will give them the tools.  I don't want to create a situation where my kids will binge on "junk food" when they are out of the house and not within my supervision because I've made it something they can't ever have.   For the most part, that's how I've managed my mental cravings, or cravings not set off by hunger but a visual, scent or touch trigger.  its not that I can't have it ever, its I can't have it now.  I want to show them that it is OK to sometimes have this "treat" and not make it a big deal.  I sometimes feel like making it a big deal can create the unhealthy relationship with food.  I know many would not agree with my thoughts, but that's how I feel about it.  I had a really bad craving, but I made it, and I made it by working through it mentally--and, for me, that is part of what my Whole 30 has morphed into.  That bad craving created one of my most successful days on Whole 30 because I survived the craving and didn't break W30.  And, the box of donuts are still in the house and I haven't had another craving for them since :)

Ann, I agree. My husband is "mostly paleo" but will indulge in ice cream or home made baked goods every once in a while. My kids eat a good, mostly paleo diet, but they do get candy on Saturday (all Swedish kids get their candy on Sat, and the other days nothing, nada) and ice cream on occasion. 

I enjoy baking, and me and the kids frequently will make cake or brownies. I love to bake with them, but I do not eat what we bake and they know that. I want my kids to see us eating healthily, but also to be part of the "kids community", to be able to participate in what other kids eat every once in a while. I do not believe they should feel guilty for eating ice cream at 2 and 5 years of age. I just serve it more rarely, make it a special occasion.

Chocolate or ice cream will never disappear from earth - we need to learn to co-exist (without eating each other). ;)

ITA.  I also don't necessarily think we need to remove food from some of our cultural rituals, just as how you describe baking or only having candy on saturday.  I feel like almost every culture has food tied to some of its traditions, and I don't know if that should really disappear because its not just about the food.  its the time, the ritual, the feeling that comes from the process.  If you change the food to be better for you, then I think the ritual or tradition should stay.  There's more to this life than food, and I think traditions are important family bonding experiences.  I would hate to see them change or eliminate them because I had a bad relationship with food.

Archived