is jicama a sometimes veg, like sweet potato?

dboothsummers

i bought one at whole foods this weekend and i'm excited to make something i can dip in my new mayo creations.

first, is this an a-ok veg or a only on workout days veg?

second, i've read cube it and stick it in the crockpot for ages (like, 24 hrs on high) to get it soft. anything faster? if i want to bake it in matchsticks, do i need to do that?

Firstly, it's approved! For the purpose of whole30, don't be overly focused on optimizing your meals and their timing as much as your optimizing choosing approved foods. That said, there are more nutrient dense veggies but there's nothing wrong with jicama. I've actually never had jicama but I have seem breakfast hash type recipes so I think there are faster ways to cook it.

jicama is awesome! you can shave it thin, into big circles to make tacos, or chop in sticks to dip in veggies. i'll be honest, i've never cooked with it, it's one of those veggies i only think of in the raw.

at the risk of offending moderators or anyone else... i don't like the idea of 'only on workout days' vegetables. the concept seems flawed to me, although i know that many people follow it with good success. but if you want sweet potato on a day when you're resting... so what? eat some sweet potato! think about this - the starchiest vegetables (sweet potatoes or plantains) yield around 100 grams of glucose per pound... that's 400 calories, which is far less than anyone's BMR. i just don't see how you'll ruin a fat burning metabolism if you stick to starchy tubers. grains are what change the game and make it easier to overeat carbs.

yeah it's not the mods fault. it's something i've heard is better if you have some weight to lose. idk i eat probably a sweet potato a day even when i don't WOD becaue my parents gave me a huge box of them. they grow them and having something they grow go to waste is just wrong.

i don't like the idea of 'only on workout days' vegetables. the concept seems flawed to me, although i know that many people follow it with good success. but if you want sweet potato on a day when you're resting... so what? eat some sweet potato! think about this - the starchiest vegetables (sweet potatoes or plantains) yield around 100 grams of glucose per pound... that's 400 calories, which is far less than anyone's BMR. i just don't see how you'll ruin a fat burning metabolism if you stick to starchy tubers. grains are what change the game and make it easier to overeat carbs.

Because of the context, jakey, the context! If you're dealing with someone who is severely metabolically damaged, and has chronic hyperinsulinemia, carbohydrates beyond what they need to replenish glycogen or even worse, above their caloric demands, will likely prevent reversal of those conditions. So while people are dealing with that, it's recommended that they save their starch for post-workout. Once people get their metabolisms a little unscrewed, then I do believe that daily starch can be a beneficial part of weight loss and total health.

Raw jicama tastes a lot like a less sugary and more crunchy Asian pear (the big yellow ones). I just treat it as a fruit substitute and eat it peeled and plain:)

It has great crunch factor and satisfies the afternoon munchies perfectly for me!

• 8 months later...

I have tried it once, to make Melissa Joulwan's potato salad. I cubed it & stuck it in the crockpot. It ended up turning brown & it was not tasty at all!!! I will try it raw now that so many others enjoy it that way! :)

And I've never limited "starchy veggies" on W30 and have lost weight both times :D 12lb last month!!

Archived