So ... hungry ...

wendelina

The hubs is tired of no wheat, so while I'd be okay with wheat as an occasional food forever, we're trying it today.

A slice of sourdough toast and avocado for breakfast (along with an egg and a piece of bacon for bulk).  Pasta with meat and veg for lunch.

About 30 min after breakfast, I felt a little queasy, but nothing major, and it settled out within an hour.  But two bigger things I've noticed:

1. I was hungry, SO HUNGRY, around 2-2.5 hours after breakfast. Like ... my stomach felt like it was squeezing itself, it was so empty.  Odd feeling.  Not how hunger usually feels to me.

2. I went to a winter farmer's market with a co-worker, which (because the northeast is local vegetable-challenged at this time of year) was mostly filled with local bread, pastries, and homemade pastas.  The last 30+ days, I would have looked at them, and been all kinds of whatever.  But today, maybe because I felt hungry (see above), or maybe it was the wheat talking to my brain, but man, I looked at them and they looked tasty.  "Maybe I should bring some of that homemade pasta home to make as part of dinner."  "Those soft pretzels look awesome!" ...

I guess I'm looking for some validation that I'm within reactions that might be considered "normal," and not "going off the deep end ... "

Thanks!

I've only been on Whole30 for 3 days, but I can absolutely validate your reaction.  I've been mostly off wheat for over 3 months.  And when I do eat, the reaction is so predictable, that I've been known to plan my day around the fact that I knew I was going to have freshly-made cinammon buns for breakfast.  

Nope not going off the deep end.

I occassionally include (as part of my post whole 30) a high quality (made with butter) freshly made pastry (maybe once a month or so) for breakfast.  Afterwards - I'm usually hungrier and wanting more gluten/sugar bombs later.  I never give in - but the cravings are there for a few days. 

Since the reaction has been strong enough over breakfast / lunch, I'm contemplating not doing a "proper" reintroduction and skipping it at dinner tonight, though I am pretty sure my husband will want to keep it in his dinner.

I'm just not wild about this feeling. I suspected I'd be fine with wheat/gluten as an occasional (e.g. if out at a nice restaurant or when friends cook for us, but probably rarely if ever at home in meals I cook) food, but the reaction is stronger than I thought it would be.

It's kind of fascinating, using this kind of science on my own body! :)

Archived