Official Whole30 - August Check Ins!

Robin Strathdee

Day 28 is one meal away from being history.

So far, so good.

Husband is enthusiastic about continuing. I'd like to add corn while it's at the peak of the season. Other than that, I'm OK with sticking with it, with an occasional splurge meal.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feeling pretty on top of the world right now!

Loving the change in my body, mood, energy! Loving the support and people I have met on here! And so far I can not see a downside to eating this way as much as possible in the future.

I hope everyone is rocking it and if you are just starting out keep the faith!

I needed to read this today,thanks Renee

I have just had a most unsatisfing lunch of fritters and salmon.still hungry and can't think what to eat...nothing appeals

I am loving the changes in my body ..feel thinner but not very energetic

I have battled for years to loose a few kilos and this is definiltly working for me.my clothes are looser after 12days

It's also been very good for me to stop the scale fixation.

I know I want to carry on eating like this...it feels right but i need some inspiration

I realize now that most of what used to eat was grains and or carbs ,I have never liked protein

Love these posts

Thanks all

Hi everyone. I started Whole30 on August 27th. So I'm in the midst of Day 3. I'm in decent shape with 2 days complete.

Meeting for happy hour or business dinners is such a part of business culture and I'm a little nervous about the feedback from people when they notice I'm not having anything to "drink". I'm also attending a wedding in a couple of weeks where there will be a lot of pressure to have a drink. Thus far, I'm confident I'll find the strength to stay the course.

Navigating the food chart during the work day has been much tougher than I thought, but I've stayed on track for a couple of days.

I'm not sleeping well and am wondering if this is due to "withdrawal" systems. I have that slight "hangover" feeling, but other than that (and it could just be placebo) I feel good and like my general inflammation has already reduced.

It's great to read about the success that all of you are having.

Day 29?! Wha??

It's hard to believe we're already here!

My tummy has gone down significantly. Those nasty cravings went away. Things are really going great. The first week was really tough but it's been pretty easy since then.

I've cooked things I'd probably never would have tried: bone broth, marrow, homemade mayo, etc.

I like that one person I follow on instagram has turned the Whole30 into a sort of adventure. Around the World in 30 days. She makes something from different countries every night. Love it!

Hope everyone is doing great out there. Give it 30 days. Don't cheat yourself out of that one month. You'll be so happy you stuck to it.

I needed to read this today,thanks Renee

I have just had a most unsatisfing lunch of fritters and salmon.still hungry and can't think what to eat...nothing appeals

I am loving the changes in my body ..feel thinner but not very energetic

I have battled for years to loose a few kilos and this is definiltly working for me.my clothes are looser after 12days

It's also been very good for me to stop the scale fixation.

I know I want to carry on eating like this...it feels right but i need some inspiration

I realize now that most of what used to eat was grains and or carbs ,I have never liked protein

Love these posts

Thanks all

Just look up a couple new recipes to try.

Play around with spices and sauces to see if you can spark that imagination of yours! Or head to the Farmers Market or Store and buy a new vegetable you have never had before, go home and look up cool ways to eat it.

Hang in there! it will all unfold perfectly at the end.

Day 29? Really?!? I can't believe it. Although I'm not feeling super magical I am definitely feeling like a super hero for sticking with it this long! There have been plenty of ups and downs and I've learned so many things!

I've been eating so much good and interesting food this month, and there are still more things I want to try.

I haven't decided if I'm going to keep on for a few more days to see if the magic appears or if I'm going to experiment with my reintroduction phase and then try another Whole30 soon. I have time to figure it out.

Great job to everyone out there who is hanging in there, no matter what day you are on, you rock for doing something good for yourself!

Well, I cheated, I weighed myself. I'm back to 165lbs which is where I was before a tour of Europe and two surgeries took their toll. I'm also back to 28" waist, which I think I was maybe 17 or 18 the last time that happened (I'm a hair shy of 40). I've only had one real craving in the past 4 weeks and that was at lunch in LA when I got a grilled steak, with sliced tomatoes as a side, I really wanted the baked potato though, dammit. I do miss potatoes, I grew up on them and sweet potato just doesn't cut it.

I've decided I like this enough that I think the majority of my meals from now on will be whole 30 approved with only the occasional off program meal. Pretty much so I can eat potatoes :)

Good Morning Day 30!!!! And so on...Will I revert back to old style? Nah! I like how I feel and how my food taste..

Sadly..I get excited about which veggies I am going to eat today...

Sugar dragon...dead! I don't want "him" controlling me anymore...Slave to food.

Congrats Everyone!!!

Day 30..happy to have got through the 30 days with ease..the first week was difficult but having felt good now for so long that seems insignificant.

Planning to try some dairy tomorrow and then jump back on another 30 days.I think I need to be this restrictive for a while or I could slip.

I also love the 30 days at a time.It seems so much more doable than saying this is it forever.

I don't see where sugar will ever fit into my life on any level,the whole 30 has made me realise that I can't have it,other than in fruit and not in excess.

I feel better,a lot less aches and pains.

I have no idea about weight and I don't care.I feel better and that's all that matters.I don't want to feel the way I did before,it's not worth it on any level.

Congratulations to all the August graduates!

Day 30! I feel great. I made the best red curry chicken last night with mashed cauliflower. Why would I want to eat different?

I have to admit I am *dying* to get on the scale. Since starting my low carb journey (May of 2011) and going to paleo (February of 2012) I have lost 85 pounds. I really need to lose another twenty and am hoping to be down 5 or more pounds tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Today is my first day of reading this forum. My wife and I are on day 19 and loving everything. We have had several functions that we have attended where food and drink were plentiful but because we had the two of us doing the same thing it made it easy to say no. I do still have two items that I'm really craving and they are a good slice of Chicago style pizza and my morning coffee with my homemade vanilla creamer. Tea just does not compare to that coffee and cream. We are actually going to go to do a Whole35 as I am out of town when we reach day 30. Everything is great and it this way of eating may be a lifetime choice!

OMG, are you kidding me? Day 30 already?! Wow, that went a lot faster than I thought it would. It seems like only yesterday I was in week 1 and going through the phases of fatigue, headaches, mental fog and then everyone's favorite: kill all the things. And then it all magically went away and here we are!

My son actually asked for cauliflower the other night. I'm pretty sure my jaw hit the ground.

I can't even express how happy I am that I did this Whole30. Life changing is an understatement. Tomorrow I'll have a review/rseults day on my blog. And I'll also be going to the doctor in the morning for a check up and to schedule blookd work because I want to see if this has helped my insulin resistances, PCOS and hypothyroidism stuff.

Before Whole30, I was having anxiety attacks, fatigue, skin problems, hair falling out, brittle nails, heart racing and palpatations, horrible cravings that were almost impossible to fight, depression, mental fog, and just generally not feeling well. I had blossomed over 20 pounds since May (I'm allergic to carbs; they make me break out in fat).

Now? On this last day, my clothes are fitting better, my skin glows, my nails are growing like crazy, I've lost inches, I have so much more energy, my mind is clear, I'm happy all the time, stress doesn't hit me the way it used to, no racing heart, sleeping like a rock and waking up without an alarm clock, rarely hungry, rarely do I have cravings (darn you, diet coke!), I'm moving more, and just feeling great!! Did I mention I've lost some inches because that's kind of a big deal to me.

Tomorrow will be my "official" weigh in. I can already tell you there's going to be a drop on the scale. My ENTIRE family has benefitted from this. My husband is the lowest weight he's been in 10 years. My daughter has lost 10 pounds and 2 dress sizes (age 17) and my son (age 12) isn't always begging for sweets and junk and has been so pleasant. It's just been amazing. Truly amazing.

I will say that I did not take pics on day 1 like I had intended because I felt like crap. Then it just got worse until the "magic" happened. But I'm sure I can find some pics of a vacation from a couple of weeks ago.

Congratulations to all my fellow August Whole30 participants. Hope you're feeling great too. :)

Day one, Post WH30. It went by fast, but I've really mostly been eating this way for awhile now. I feel great, & although I only lost 1.5 lbs, & maybe an inch, my cloths fit better, my gut feels better, & I can see where I'm losing fat that doesn't really figure into my measurements, & I finally started getting in a few workouts, so I probably added a little muscle too. I have no intention of reintroducing grains, beans, dairy, or sugar, I made that mistake after my March WH30, so I already know the concequences far too well, & I like being pain free!

Part of me was thinking, "Maybe I can make some kind of special breakfast...some kind of paleo pancakes or muffins or something..."

It was a vague thought, that didn't really take root. It's always the idea of those foods that's most exciting, they are never as good as you think they're going to be, and hardly worth the work. For breakfast I had a bell pepper, onion, & eggs scramble & a sausage patty.

Here's the funny thing: I mainly did this WH30 to get myself off stevia, cuz even though I use what I believe to be a good brand, I was drinking tea with stevia all day long & felt I needed to wean back a little. So I've gotten used to my tea black, & I'm drinking less of it. My first cup of tea this morning included a pinch of Stevia, & I didn't care for it. I'm sure I might still use it once in awhile (like in Chai with coconut milk...sigh...), but I'm in the process of using all the teas (black, green, white, herbal) in my cupboard, & thinking once their gone I may wean myself off caffeine completely next...maybe in the spring...

Finished the Whole30 on the 30th. Unfortunately I didn't get the results I hoped for, but it was easier than I expected to stay compliant (didn't really get any cravings or feel the need to snack) and my mood stayed pretty positive after the first few days. I'm one of the people whose sleep seems to have deteriorated on Whole30 so I'm hoping that I can fix that and the results will come!

I'm planning on evaluating dairy (been mainly paleo for a year so already know I can't tolerate much gluten) but otherwise sticking fairly close to the Whole 30 eating just with the occasional off-roading.

Thanks to the people on these boards for the support and useful tips through this! Thanks also to Whole9 for the daily emails - I certainly found them helpful for staying on track. Congratulations to everyone else who got through their August Whole 30. It's been fun.

thank you whole30 and whole9. i started this journey with the intent to push "reset" on my life and indeed i have.

i have more energy, my skin is clearer, my general "get up and go" is back, i'm saving money because i cook for myself and my partner. my partner has also benefited from the whole30, someone told me my spirit seems "lighter", i'm laughing more, things don't seem to "get" to me like they used to (which i fully believe has to do with nutritional/hormonal balance due to healthier food choices), i am fitter and stronger than i've been in the past 2 years ( i started doing crossfit at the same time as the whole30), i'm not a slave to a scale or calories anymore, and frankly i'm just happier.

best of all i finally feel like i know how to nourish myself from the inside out!!!!!

i'm definitely on the path of this is how i eat period with the occasional short off-road trip for very conscious decisions/reasons. no more mindless food choices.

to celebrate this major shift, i gave myself the gift of a new paleo cookbook and some customized Reebok Crossfit Nanos!

Hi Terri:

I mostly did the WH30 to get myself off honey and coconut milk "beverage" (carrageenan) in my tea, plus my daily dark chocolate snack. I've suceeded with both those things and won't be going back. Like you, I can now drink my tea black and I'm also drinking less of it, and I've started drinking some herb tea and white tea instead of always black tea too.

As far as the chocolate goes, it's not coming back. Neither is sugar except for truely special occasions (my birthday, Christmas) when we have some slightly sweetened fruit desserts.

The one (surprising) thing I missed the most was a little peanut butter in my curry sauce. That *will* be coming back!

Nancy

>Here's the funny thing: I mainly did this WH30 to get myself off stevia, cuz even though I use what I believe to be a good brand, I was drinking tea with stevia all day long & felt I needed to wean back a little. So I've gotten used to my tea black, & I'm drinking less of it. My first cup of tea this morning included a pinch of Stevia, & I didn't care for it. I'm sure I might still use it once in awhile (like in Chai with coconut milk...sigh...), but I'm in the process of using all the teas (black, green, white, herbal) in my cupboard, & thinking once their gone I may wean myself off caffeine completely next...maybe in the spring...

Hello from Sevenoaks, Kent UK. tried coconut milk in my coffee yesterday.......not good.....just plain ol black for me from now on. Still finding I'm hungry around 5.30, filled the gap yesterday with a hard boiled egg, then ate dinner at 8pm......a bit late for me but it's the Olympics what can I tell you!

Helloooo Finished my first Whole 30 on Aug 30th, delighted to have lost 6 lbs! I'm going to keep at it so I'm going for another whole 30 starting today. I didn't think I ever had "sugar issues" but I ate some biscuits on Friday and could have happily eaten the whole pack! so..........back on the W30 for another month, then check again.

I like the idea of not weighing myself, I used to be obsessive about it but now it's kinda 'meh' as you say.

Feeling good though starting a new yoga programme, the first proper exercise for about five years, so everything aches at the moment.

Today is officially the end of my Whole30 but I will be continuing because the benefits have been amazing. I am sleeping sooo much better, 7-9 hours every night without fail and only one bout of insomnia the entire 30 days; prior to starting I was having episodes of insomnia at least 2-3x a night. I was getting a headache almost daily prior to Whole30 and now no more headaches like I was before starting the program.

But perhaps the biggest surprise of all for me has been the weight loss. I went to the doctor a couple weeks prior to starting my Whole30. I failed to get an official starting weight so I went with the number at the doctor's office since I know I was eating TERRIBLE during those couple of weeks. I didn't think my clothes was fitting any loosier although I do feel less bloated overall. So imagine my surprise when I stepped on the scale this morning and the number came up TWELVE POUNDS less than what I was at my doctors six weeks ago. I'm still in a bit of a shock over it but ever so thankful!! Losing weight wasn't my goal with the Whole30. I wanted to break my sugar cravings which were REALLY bad so my focus was all on developing a healthy relationship with food. I did little to no exercise over the last 30 days except a few days of walking and a yoga class thrown in here/there for good measure. So this weight loss is a real surprise but again still thankful for it.

I love that I no longer crave sugar as I was previously. It took almost 3 weeks for me to break the craving and I was convinced it would take longer than 30 days (I was a definite chocoholic). But it's broken; now I find a crave things like red meat or protien of some sort. It's kinda wild watching my body ask for good things not things that are bad for me. I knew the sugar cravings were gone when we had a staff lunch at work last week with cheesecake AND chocolate cake with chocolate icing. Chocolate was my nemesis in the past but I had ZERO desire for any of the desserts at lunch. It felt soooo good to not have to use my will power to not get any cake. I simply didn't want it at all

My focus in the next 30 days will be to start exercising more. I"m not ready for CrossFit or anything like that but want to start moving more. I also need to explore supplementing over the next 30 days because I know it's important. I'm thrilled for this new adventure as I plan on staying compliant for the next 30 days and then look at reintroducing in October although I probably won't put too much back in as I haven't really missed anything up to this point. LOVE this new way of living!

Archived