Official Whole30 - August Check Ins!

Robin Strathdee

I must say Day 6 has been easier than Days 4 & 5. I'm still feeling a little foggy in my brain and am physically exhausted. I haven't been sleeping very well, maybe that has something to do with the exhaustion. It's a whole body exhaustion, not just feeling tired though. I can't wait to say we've been at this for a whole week! One more day!

Good job everyone, keep up the great work!

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After attempting to start on Aug 1st, I made it 5 days and derailed myself over the weekend at a BBQ and out of town wedding. So last night I clicked "reset" my Whole 30 and today was day 1. At first, I felt like I was failing, but I reframed and sat down wrote out my goals and got cooking for today's meals. I believe I can do this with planning, conviction, and support, WE ALL CAN do this! I travel a lot and work provides many challenges with catered food so I will be looking for some ideas. Good luck to all on their journey, I am looking forward to the ride! :)

My Whole30 commences tomorrow.

I've been following Mark's Daily Apple for quite some time, collecting information and preparing for the big lifestyle change. A couple of weeks ago my (new) personal trainer suggested a 12-week challenge in which I adhere to a Paleo diet. I've been dairy, wheat and caffeine free for 2 weeks now; feeling great... although of course, it's been difficult to maintain. I feel it's now time to ramp it up with the Whole30.

I'm getting married in 17 weeks... would love to be clean, healthy and in control of my body by then. I've abused my body for far too long... it's time to take care of this vessel that will carry me through the rest of my years.

Started a few days ago and did my first weekly cookup this past Saturday. Made grilled chicken thighs, grilled grass-fed burgers, browned ground turkey, steamed-sauteed cabbage, steamed-sauteed green beans, mashed cauliflower, roasted sweet potatoes (thyme roasted ones from Epicurious.com but paleo appropriate I think), Olive Oil Mayo, Moroccan sauce and Waldorf tuna salad from the WellFed cookbook/instructional manual.

Made a few errors using vanilla extract with sugar and drinking my coffee as I normally do so counting August 7 as Day One. Added Cross Fit to the mix as well this past Monday. So excited! The hot meals, sauces homemade Olive Oil Mayo are so delicious and filling from WellFed. Amazing! Few to no cravings so far...well, except for the half/half and raw sugar I want for my coffee. :P

Day 7 and excited- I had more cravings yesterday than ever, and wondering if the flavored tea bags at work had hidden sweetener in them or something added to make it tasty (I did not add anything to these simple tea bags). So....not hot flavored tea bags from work today- just water!!!!!!!! Been working out and excited. VERY TEMPTED to want to know my weight and scared I may not be losing weight, although following everything exaactly and not overdoing nuts or nut butters. And tempted by a friend who is doing HCG shots. But I just want to be healthy and create a life long WIN WIn lifestyle.

Southern Girl, Charlotte NC

All I have to say is I'm sooooooo tired. Literally took a "nap" last night from about 7-12, and then got up, walked around the apt, and went right back to bed. (And I'm just as tired as before I took the "nap" sooo...)

Day 9 here, and I've finally broken out of the carb-flu nastiness! I feel a lot more energetic and my allergies have started clearing up (I've only taken 2 Claritin D pills in the past week to deal with a sinus infection!). The major thing I've noticed already is that I don't need as much coffee as I used to. I used to make and drink 2 French Presses (12 oz) in the mornings and would totally drag during the day. As of yesterday, I only wanted one and felt fine throughout the day--it's shaping up to be the same way today!

Can't wait to see what the next week brings!

It seems like I'm the only dude in here, so I'll give my experience so far. I'm on Day 7, feeling really good. I gave up alcohol almost a month ago, so by the time I started this I was already used to not having any of that. The first few days were pretty solid, nothing too bad. A little bit of brain fog (but that's normal for me) and sleepy in the afternoon. That passed at about day 4, and now I'm feeling great. I already had my sleep pretty dialed in (8-9 hours, no exceptions) but I'm sleeping more soundly. On top of all this I'm working 12-14 hour days 7 days a week for the next month and a half, but I'm actually feeling better than I usually do when I have more downtime. I did take advantage of the Premade Paleo offer, and that has helped tremendously for when I need some food quick (especially at work). No excuses for picking up fast food. I know I'm not supposed to weigh myself, but I'm a computer programmer, and data is how I roll, so I did a quick check-in today; down 5 pounds. Pants are falling off without a belt. Workouts have been great (mostly Olympic lifting and powerlifting, with metcons 1-2 times a week) and my recovery has been better than ever. I'm barely ever sore, it takes me way less time to get warmed up, and I don't feel stiff and achy when I get up in the morning. I'm very happy with my results thus far, and I'm only a week in.

Day 6 today. Yesterday was rugged. My eating has been great and then I got really sick yesterday and couldn't figure out what happened. I know better than to buy something and not read the labels. my coconut milk was not real coconut milk it was made with coconut extract. Ugh. lesson learned the hard way. Not starting over as I lost it all anyway.

Was in a rage most of the day yesterday too. I tried to stay quiet because it really was a case of wanting to kill anyone that looked at me cross-eyed. My boyfriend was gentle & loving which I appreciate so much.

I want to weigh & measure myself which tells me my mind hasn't quite clicked into my body yet. Still putting one foot in front of the other and breathing in and out.

Everyday is a new adventure!

Day 7 down..WOHOO!A week is over,and it's flown.

Today I was up super early and starving,decided I would give a sweet potato a go and see if it makes a difference.I felt very hungry today...had dinner and still feel hungry now.

Anyway,tomorrow is the start of week two..rock on all,rock on!

Started a few days ago and did my first weekly cookup this past Saturday. Made grilled chicken thighs, grilled grass-fed burgers, browned ground turkey, steamed-sauteed cabbage, steamed-sauteed green beans, mashed cauliflower, roasted sweet potatoes (thyme roasted ones from Epicurious.com but paleo appropriate I think), Olive Oil Mayo, Moroccan sauce and Waldorf tuna salad from the WellFed cookbook/instructional manual.

Made a few errors using vanilla extract with sugar and drinking my coffee as I normally do so counting August 7 as Day One. Added Cross Fit to the mix as well this past Monday. So excited! The hot meals, sauces homemade Olive Oil Mayo are so delicious and filling from WellFed. Amazing! Few to no cravings so far...well, except for the half/half and raw sugar I want for my coffee. :P

Wow - sounds like a wonderful spread, I've been meaning to try the mayo, but have been packing up for a move and didn't want to unpack the blender.

Day 7 and feeling better. I had a minor slip yesterday somehow - thinking there must have been some sugar in the rice wine vinaigrette that I had on my salad for lunch. Got stuck off campus and couldn't get back to my packed lunch, but was starving. I was so careful to make sure no breaded chicken, no crushed peanuts, no peanut dressing, no edamame, no wonton strips - just steak, cabbage, carrots, scallions, and cucumbers....but damn if that dressing that was already mixed in tasted a little sweet. So....a few hours later I got some weird cramping, but honestly thought it was menstrual (mine has been very irregular for last 6 mos). Alas no - didn't sleep very well, woke up 2 hours early and my feet hurt more today than they have this whole last week. But, work has been really stressful last couple of days too. So today I was very strict and feeling tired and think I'll turn in early, after I pack ONE MORE BOX! ugh..hate moving.

day 7 is drawing to a close. i'm going to a dance class tonight to dance away my blahs. yes the blahs. i'm like in this place where i'm excited and blah. it makes no sense. i'm staying on track. still having dreams.

what have i noticed over the past week:

less bloat

steadier energy

sleeping like a baby!

less trouble waking in the morning

feeling emotionally more even

different way of thinking about food/eating

looking forward to seeing what the next week brings!

Day 7 down! One whole week of Whole30, quite an accomplishment really! I'm still feeling really edgy and easily angered and seem to be more hungry the last two days. I slept well last night for the first time in a week and I'm hoping for another night of restful sleep.

My brain is still a little addled but I'm hoping that will clear up soon as well. My energy level is much better today than it's was on days 4, 5 & 6.

Well done everyone! Keep up the good work!!

Good Morning Day 8!!! I have been exercising and stay full throttle thru it all...So proud of myself for not giving in to the Sugar Dragon...Have come so far to start over..I for one...have found that eating Paleo is the best for me and my Celiacs..I feel better..and not so bloated...I have discovered that I really do enjoy Jicama...and when I get really hungry...I feed on eggs and carrots with cinnamon...The cinnamon seems to calm the insulin.

Keep up the great work everyone...U are all an inspiration!

One week done, and so far, so good.

Last night, we shared a peach for dessert. (Tree- ripened, organic and local.) We both declared, "That is the best peach I have ever eaten!"

I think our tast buds are waking up. Half a peach was almost too sweet, and just enough for dessert.

We are both noticing positive changes, and are ready for the challenge of traveleing today.

YAY Week one is done!

Also to the Whole 9 admin crew, I'm very happy that I subscribed to the Daily Newsletter. It's totally become a part of my morning routine and has helped me understand this new way of thinking about food and nutrition and defintiely helped me stay on track with my Whole30.

Helllo Day 8!

Just finishing Day 8. First week has gone by fast and staying on track with food (and not snacking except when genuinely hungry) has been fine. But... I still have zero energy and my sleep has been rubbish since Sunday night. Not sure whether to look at carb intake or leave it along for another week :( Decisions, decisions.

Oh well, time for a sparkling water cocktail (a la Derval) to celebrate finishing week 1 - here's to a successful week 2 for us all!

Day 7! One week down and honestly I can hardly wait to turn the corner.

I've been reading everyone's post and thank goodness I'm not the only one who is cranky and tired and ravenous!

I ate 2 eggs scrambled and some saurkraut this morning and an hour later my stomach was grumbling. I brought double the food for lunch than normal (which was satisfying) and it's 3:30 p.m. and I'm hungry again.

I must feed the beast now!

Sleep is sooooo sucky. I keep waiting for the shift over to a good nights sleep and I know it's coming because so many of you say it is.

I gotta be honest. I'm a little discouraged today. I feel a little defeatist. I am not going to quit or cheat but I am going to be honest. Today has been a challenge and that feels really odd to me because I am enjoying everything I'm eating, I'm staying on track, I'm exercising and feeling good about all of the above.

And yet today I have a supreme case of the blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs.

Thanks all for sharing it really helps!

Lindy

Just finishing Day 8. First week has gone by fast and staying on track with food (and not snacking except when genuinely hungry) has been fine. But... I still have zero energy and my sleep has been rubbish since Sunday night. Not sure whether to look at carb intake or leave it along for another week :( Decisions, decisions.

Oh well, time for a sparkling water cocktail (a la Derval) to celebrate finishing week 1 - here's to a successful week 2 for us all!

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom - Anais Nin

Archived