Official Whole30 - August Check Ins!

Robin Strathdee

Day 5: started the day feeling tired and it went downhill from there. I could barely function! Somehow got through the day. The cravings weren't as intense as yesterday nor was I angry. I don't think I have the energy to be angry today. A headache did keep me company as well. Ready for day 6 and SO ready for some energy.

Energy will come, right? Please tell me it will. I'm feeling a little emotional. LOL Tired of being tired. On a positive note, the food has been fantastic! My whole family is eating everything I make and loving it.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're still doing OK. My rage is not as readily available now which is VERY good. Still wanting to eat while watching NetFlix, though. I can't believe what tasty foods we are finding through various Paleo sources. I even got brave enough to make one up for tomorrow. That's saying something large for a female who is 65 years old but never learned to cook.

For those of you who might want to read one person's story, I started blogging this experience on Day 0 and have posted at least once a day starting here: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/2012/07/eating/

For those of you past the super tired no energy feelings - did adding a spoonful or two of coconut oil help it at all? I am wondering because as a teacher working 12 hour days (before an additional 6-8 at home of lesson planning) I cannot afford the day in the middle of the day feeling. I will end up beating the students that look at me cross-eyed, and as an inner city (New Orleans) middle school teacher that is a LOT of students!

Day 5 down, better than day 4 for sure. Still not feeling quite rite however. Not as emotional as earlier in the day but still a little off kilter. Definitely doing some hardcore introspection and realizing I have a lot more issues than I anticipated beginning this challenge. Haven't been sleeping well and I am hoping tonight is the night for good sleep! 5 down, 25 more to go. Good job everyone!!

Arabis - Thanks for the positive thoughts, they helped. :)

I'm in - yesterday was Day 1 as we were on vacation through Saturday and I couldn't handle the thought of many hours of driving without chocolate....

We eat pale-ish around here and I was eating Whole30 from about mid-May through mid-July with a few exception days here and there, but I haven't done a hard-core Whole30 yet. This time I am really going to do it. I'm also going to start commuting by bike next week so this is part of a bigger plan to get my life on track. I may have to join those of you who are limiting social media, too, but I am not ready for that yet. :)

My biggest challenge isn't giving up any foods or categories, but rather finding the time to shop, cook and clean as we both work full time and have a 3 y.o. and a 6 y.o. I love the foods we eat and really don't miss what I am not eating but struggle a lot with "It would be so much easier to (pick up a pizza, pop something in the microwave, whatever)."

Looking forward to all the company and support!

Day 5 is in the books. Whole30 is now Whole25. We can do this.

I felt a little sluggish and tired yesterday afternoon, and went to bed a little early. Slept well for nearly 8 hours.

We have been eating really good food, though I will probably not prepare the cauliflower "mashed potatoes" again. I'll eat cauliflower in it's regular shape and texture--we like it roasted.

I have made my own mayo and salad dressings, following directions in "Well Fed," and I have found several recipes to try at Foodee.

On Wed, husband and I must go out of town on an overnight trip. I have done a little research and have planned were and what we will eat. It may not be 100% compliant, but we will do our best.

So far, so good.

Good luck, all.

Good morning everyone! Today is my first official day of Whole30. I'm a little anxious, a bit scared and very excited! My husband is supporting me and starts his Whole30 today as well! I am sure I can "slay the sugar dragon" :P (no sugar in my coffee and no dessert after dinner) and fix other health problems! I have been trying to eat Paleo for a few months now but wasn't very strict about it (sugar and dairy). I am sure that following the program will result in a better performance at the gym for me and loss of weight for my husband. I wish success to everyone who is starting or continuing the program! :)

This is a great thread!!

On day 6 today like many of you. My Whole30 started tough so I'm praying the rest of the month will be a breeze. Our family went on a 7 day camping adventure with 2 other families. It was hard but I ate 100% clean while camping. My husband was a great support. We prepped so much food before we went and that was key.

I'm really enjoying not having any sugar/carb crashes. My blood sugar seems to be staying really even throughout the day.

Most surprising of all, I am enjoying my black coffee everyday and the occasional iced americano. This is a miracle in itself.

Good luck everyone!

Hi Team!

Day 5 for me is getting underway. So far no food slip ups, or any major side-effects. I have had a 5 minute headache when I woke up yesterday and an uneasy stomach in the morning yesterday but that is it. No major cravings, crankies, headaches, tiredness, or any of the other symptoms. I really really hope they don't decide to come on all at once full force tomorrow.

Holiday Monday here in Canada so an extra day to food prep for me.

So far the BF is doing well. Evenings are hard for him and he just wants dairy. He has been a little cranky so far. Nothing major to report.

I hope you are all doing well and loving the experience so far. I am.

Ren

Starting today.. again. I did a 30 run in March and by the end of it I felt great! Then I had company and slipped off into a sugar coma for a few months. Today I start again... kitchen cleaned out and fridge stocked with great, real food. My only concern is that we are going away to a Maine sporting camp- and they will be cooking for us. Very great to have someone cook for you, but a bit worried it will not be a Whole30 approved meal plan. Planning to bring extra snacks with me. Here's hoping to a good 30 days!

Today is Day 1 and I'm looking forward to joining the rest of you in your success! I'm a little nervous, given it's summer in Chicago which screams, beer and hot dogs at Cubs games along with wine and cheese at movies in the park. Deeeeep breath.... I can do this! WE can do this!

Day 6 has been soooooo much better so far. There is still a slight headache keeping me company and I'm still a little bit sleepy but I feel more energetic overall. AND the mental fog is starting to clear. So happy about that one. :)

Cravings aren't as severe and hunger isn't bad at all. Ahhhh. Almost better than normal. Starting to feel like the old me. But better!

ok. day 5 was a little u-g-l-y. i was definitely having some "kill all the things" moment. i instituted "time outs" for myself yesterday. yes it was like that. i was fine until the littlest thing rubbed me the wrong way and them KA-BOOM! when i think about the stuff i was getting all emo about it is actually hilarious. there was more internal bargaining going on "it's gone so well this far how about a little glass of wine?" "isn't dark chocolate good for you?" and then there was some temptation to junk-ify whole30 approved foods--now that was a surprise!!!!

i also checked out some of the recommended whole30 approved websites for new recipes since i know myself and need to add in variety and color and all that good stuff so i don't get in a food rut. my fave so far is foodee. i like it because they have a whole30 section and you can drop the recipes into your shopping cart and it will generate a grocery shopping list for you. i'm going to test drive at least 2 new recipes this week.

crossfit was great. my favorite quote from yesterday's workout:

"ok listen up people. this is not yoga. if you feel like you might faint or puke. stop. seriously. stop."

HAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

Day 6..feeling so much better today!Had a great day,lots of vitamin d and outdoor fun including a water gun fight with my wee one..happy to be past the angry beast mode.

I just made vegan banana ice cream.It's AMAZING!I have been meaning to try it for ages.

Take some bananas,make sure they are ripe,overripe even.Slice them into rounds.Freeze.Place in food processor.Add 2 tsps of water,or more if you need it.Puree..soft serve "ice cream"

Roll on day 7 and the first week is almost over.

Hey Everyone! I started on August 1, but had to start over because I took some medicine without reading the label! Oh well...so I am on day 5 and doing great so far. I was definitely tired on days 3-4, but I also had a cold, so I'm not sure what's to blame. One thing is that I am starving after I go to the gym becasue I used to get a shake afterwards. I think I will start taking a snack in a cooler to help with that. Also, I had my first food dream last night...I was shopping with my Mom and avoided all temptation all day until late at night where I devoured some chocolatey gelato. I did wake up feeling guilty and had to laugh :D

Day 6 and doing well....woke up this morning 20 min before the alarm, clear-headed and actually looked in the mirror and realized some of the puffiness is gone - I recognized my collar bone and my cheeks look slimmer. I made one of the recipes from the Day5 email tonight and it is delicious - Sweet Potato-Coconut soup, along with some roasted chicken and veggies. Yum!

Day 6 is almost done! one word WOW! my little brain sure does know how to throw a tantrum. JEEZ! I had to slay sugar dragons all dang day. The steamed fish and broccoli test worked!

Ended the day with a great spin class to get out all the excess energy from battling the sugar dragons!

Sorry for my overuse of exclamation points!

Keep the faith everyone.

Archived