Official Whole30 - August Check Ins!

Robin Strathdee

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

okay...

i'm experiencing a kind of dread about the amount of time i have left, which tells me that my brain has not clicked with the idea that this is kind of going to be my baseline from here on out. you know? it's such a mind-game. instead of thinking about and celebrating all the wonderful changes i've noticed in my health, sleeping and eating, my brain keeps wanting me to focus in how many more days i have to go. so -- what now? what i'm realizing is that this is a a habitual way of thinking that is a part of the "dieters" mentality that i'm working to change. i mean it's pretty entrenched. i started dieting in the 3rd grade. (yeah i know what was going on there?)

i'm trusting that whole30 (possibly whole 60 if necessary) will help me break this diet mentality.

i'm not on a “diet.†i'm taking charge of my life and while i "can" eat whatever the heck i want i am choosing to make better, more informed, and healthier choices. period.

to end on a solution focused note: i think i'm going to check out that book recommendation HABIT or some other book like that to keep myself aware of how my mind is working right now.

this post is a little random and i debated posting it, but i needed to get out of my head. and maybe someone else knows where i'm coming from.

keeping the faith!!

Day 3 for me and I'm actually feeling pretty....OK. I definitely find I'm a little less energetic and I'm feeling pretty sluggish throughout the day. I'm sleeping pretty normally - not any better, not any worse. I really thought I'd be waking up ready to tackle the world...um, not so much. Why is that? I almost feel like I'm waking up with a hangover! I'm groggy and stumbling around my room till I can make sense of what day it is - that's definitely something that isn't "normal" for me.

I'm trying to look for the positives as much as I can, hoping that it'll encourage me to stay on track. Today I swear I looked a little less bloated (HOORAY!) and I'm not kidding you, I ate the best egg I've ever tasted. One aspect about the Whole30 that I love is how it's encouraged me to buy only the best, most natural, organic, pasture raised meats, poultry, etc. YUM! I can't believe I ate regular ole' eggs before now - WOW! Who knew an egg could taste so good :)

Hooray for Day 8!!! Finally a day where I could think fairly straight most of the day. I slept well last night and I woke up easily this morning, not feeling groggy. I had good energy and felt relatively positive. I wasn't too tempted to go kung fu on anyone today and that's a definite improvement over the last few days!!

I too look forward to my Whole30 Daily every morning, it gives me a good focal point for my day. I am also enjoying the variety of meals and trying new recipes, my kids have been eating up the dinners with no complaints about where's the pasta, rice, bun, etc.

All in all a good day! I'm looking forward to more days like this. Way to hang in there everyone!! Well done!

Hi! I'm Deanna, started my first Whole30 on Monday and today is Day 4. So far its going OK. I have been following a primal diet for the last 3 months with a lot of success so it was no problem for me to give up grains and sugar since i've been following that for a while. But I still allowed myself the occasional cheat meals. Day 2 I had horrible allergies and wound up with a migrane, maybe because I binged over the weekend before I started. Oops!

Had a huge victory last night. Went out with friends to a free outdoor concert and 2 different bars and successfully made it through the night drinking water and one club soda with lime. I didn't even want a beer. Yay me!

Hi Everyone!! I am just now "checking in". I have been doing the whole 30 right along with you since Aug. 1. The first few days were rough. Headaches and sooo tired. Now I feel amazing. Seems I am eating a lot of the same things over and over. SO, I am planning to whip out my well fed cookbook etc. so that I don't get totally bored! Glad to be here with you all!! AND GOOD LUCK!! :)

Day 9 is done and it was quite uneventful.I'm wondering if anyone else is having issues with cotton mouth?I have been suffering so much in the past 2 days with dry,dry mouth.

As for the days,I am feeling that there is no need to count as it feels quite natural at the moment.I hope that keeps up.

Today was probably the toughest for me. It's Day 4 and I'm starting to have some serious sugar cravings - why now?!? I am so used to being bored or stressed and reaching for the first piece of sugar that comes across my path. I had the day off today, so as soon as I had a little lull in my day, I instantly started craving something, actually anything sweet. I've cleaned out any sugar from my house, but I'm fairly certain if I looked hard enough I could find a stray Jolly Rancher or Dove chocolate laying around somewhere. AGH!! Must stay on track.... must stay on track....

Day 8 was great! Day 9, not so much. My stomach was a little upset and I had a mild headache. Kinda like I may have eaten something that was either bad or didn't agree with me. We'll see how I do tomorrow. I didn't have the mental clarity I had yesterday and I felt pretty blah. I'm getting a little worn out with food preparation. Need to do some bulk prep this weekend, maybe that will help.

dancing_nancy, you can do it!! Day 4 was really tough for me too. Increase your fat intake and that might take the edge off your sugar cravings. It works for me. Grab a good book and some herb tea and distract yourself. You are strong, you will stay on track!

Good job everyone. We're almost to double digits!!

I'm wondering if anyone else is having issues with cotton mouth?I have been suffering so much in the past 2 days with dry,dry mouth.

Yes! I've been noticing this too. Not sure why it's happening though. I assumed dehydration but I'm probably drinking more than I would have pre-Whole30 (and less of it coffee!). There is a 'Mothball mouth' thread in the troubleshooting forum, but not sure she's describing quite the same thing.

Just starting Day 10 here in the UK. I added more sweet potato into my meals yesterday and it did seem to help with the energy levels. I even managed to get through a kettlebell workout. Sleep was better too and I'm feeling a lot brighter this morning.

Does anyone else find it really hard to do the 'switch electric things with screens off an hour before bedtime' thing when there are so many interesting things to read on this forum? :)

Starting day 10!!! First week was hell giving up sugar. I never realized how much sugar was in the "regular" foods I ate. My boyfriend gets mad at me because I spend twice as much time in the grocery store reading all the ingredients. Good news is I am finding multiple Paleo websites that keep making shopping easier!! If your interested check out http://beta.primal-palate.com/ they even have an app called mykitchen that allows you to add paleo recipes online and the shopping list gets sent to your phone!

Day 10 and still exhausted but a work skirt I wore last week is not as tight, so small victory! Workout on Wednesday was rough, last not was better, but slightly tweaked a shoulder injury so in a little discomfort today :\ Still craving chocolate, but I'm sure it's just still trying to break the habit...

Also, love beta.primal-palate.com - I think I love most that you can search for recipes. (Somehow I always have ground beef I'm trying to use up.)

I feel like the third or halfway point is when people start getting discouraged if they're not seeing/feeling any immediate results, sooo hope everyone sees/feels enough to stick with it :)

Day 10 today, and so far, so good. We managed to find suitable menu items while traveling-- 4 meals out.

Today, I shopped and completed a cook-up for my work week. I have been on vacation since August 1, so the real challenge for me will be at work, starting tomorrow. I'm taking my lunch and it should be okay. Someone always brings pastries and candy on the weekends, but I'm feeling strong.

Clothes are feeling looser. Skin and hair feel better. Much less sneezing and congestion. No cravings.

Archived