Rooibos tea or stevia?

namtrag

I probably made a mistake today by doing two new things at once.  I bought some rooibos tea, which i have never had, and then added Sweet Leaf Stevia to it.  I researched a lot to make sure the stevia I used was 100% stevia.  This is my first sweetener of any kind in 45 days 

Anyway, after drinking the tea, I got a little mind altered.  Almost a little of a drugged effect, like a shot or two of liquor might do.  Not drunk, just off a little.

Is it the tea, or the stevia?  I suspect the tea.

• Moderators

I drink rooibos tea now and again without any mind-altering effect and I don't know of any reason it should have that kind of effect. The stevia should not have that effect either. This is curious.

It's hard to describe how I felt...almost like a slight sedative affect without getting drowsy.  I am going to google and see what I can come up with.  The ironic thing is, I meant to grab a yerba mate tea, which I also have never tried, but got the rooibos instead. lol 

I used to have a roommate who called rooibos "magic tea" - it sounds like you and she had similar reactions to it! I don't think she sweetened it, so my guess is it would be the rooibos. Maybe some people are more sensitive than others? I'd try it without the stevia (you may not need it) and see what happens.

I too am more suspect of the stevia than the tea, but everybody is different. This is where your experiment of 1 kicks in. All that said I used stevia for years but when I added it back after cutting it out I definitely noticed it wasn't good for me.

I tried Rooibos one time half-way through my first Whole30 and it definately made me feel kind of 'trippy'. It was definately the tea since I didn't add anything to it. I decided that, while I loved the flavor of the tea, I didn't care for how it made me feel.

Archived