W30 followed by AIP?

I am just starting Whole 30 today after about a month eating paleo. I've started feeling better eating paleo, and feel like W30 will continue to improve. My question:

Has anyone done W30 and then tried to add in the AIP after the first 30 days with success? Or should I just jump in now with AIP and add back nuts, eggs, nightshades during the reintroduction?

I have Hashimotos and non-diagnosed digestive issues / food intolerances. One sister has lupus and the other had type 1 diabetes. Mom has rheumatoid arthritis...as you can see, our family tree is heavily steeped in autoimmune conditions.

I'm just curious if anyone with autoimmune conditions tried the approach of W30 for the first 30 days and THEN adding the AIP protocol if no major improvement. Does it make more sense to just jump into AIP, too now?

Thanks

They suggest that for your first whole30 you do the regular version. You will probably see a lot of benefits from the regular version. If you don't have any major improvement then you can try the AIP protocol. I am trying two weeks of the AIP but it is no fun at all. I am bored to death of the food that I am eating and I am only on day 4. Good Luck!

I did my first W30 as full AIP (Sarah Ballantyne's version, which is even more restrictive than ISWF).

Personally that was a better choice, because I had one adjustment to make. I got used to it more rapidly than I expected (granted I was already primal, so already off processed foods, legumes and grain). I decided to just jump in because it meant getting through the tight elimination quicker and staring reintroductions sooner - and AIP reintroductions take a long time, longer than W30 because W30 has you count a whole food category like dairy, whereas on AIP it's food by food, and you have so many more foods stripped out. I hadn't calculated how long reintros would take when I decided to do my 30 days of W30-AIP but it will end up being several months! So far I've had 2 reintros go well, and one (sesame) fail.

Just know that W30 regular style is a cakewalk next to AIP. Also, although you can decide to ease in to AIP, everyone I've seen try that approach fails to cut out all the food groups - from what I've seen in online communities, it's easier to just go all-in and get it over with...

I started AIP mid way through my first w30. Honestly I think just go for it. Otherwise you feel really mad when, after you've just gotten the hang of things, you realize you can't eat 90% of the stuff you've come to love. That's mostly bc of spices (nightshades, seed spices--I also followed Paleo Mom's list). Though I'd already cut out eggs and was eating breakfast as "meal 1" instead if an egg dominant meal.

I did mine last year and it's amazing how many more blog posts and recipes there are out there this time around now, just a year later. I'm at the stage now where I'm feeling nourished by my food, even if I do fall into ruts with my eating. It's also nice to go on autopilot and not think about every meal.

I did my first whole 30 and January and this was also the beginning of following a Paleo diet. I have been eating Paleo ever since, but the past couple of months I have developed some small areas of skin rash that just won't go away. I have suffered from exzema throughout my life and these rashes apear the same as exzema that I have had in the past, but they just won't go away. Since beginning eating Paleo, I have significantly increased my egg intake and I have also increased my nut intake, but not to the same degree as eggs. Has anyone else noticed any side effects from eating too many eggs? Do other whole 30ers suggest I start on the AIP protocol and if so, what is the best website for me to go to so I can find out more.

Thanks!

livdg - You have a few more options than AIP if it's one symptom, but here's a good primer on AIP in case you need it http://www.thepaleomom.com/aip-friendly

A few things to think about before AIP for exzema on it's own:

Eggs - eggs yolks vs egg whites, egg source (organic, grain fed, etc)

Nuts - http://detoxinista.com has info on soaking nuts, some have enzymes which really mess with people, some people are actually allergic to cashews or other specific nuts and some people just eat too many :)

I can't have gluten and grain-fed non-organic eggs can give me gluten/allergy symptoms (including itchy skin) if I eat enough of them.

Ditto on Paleo Mom (you can lose yourself for days on her site) and the nut soaking. It seemed to make a difference for me.

I also agree that you might want to cut just nuts and eggs and see if that makes a difference. AIP is a big commitment to undertake if you aren't sure you have an autoimmune disease.

Archived