broken.

Apologies if my title sounds melodramatic, but right now that's how I feel.

I am really REALLY struggling to get back on the wagon for a much needed second whole30.

I have an eating disorder and the bingeing is getting worse than ever.

I am sitting here after having eaten two portions of non-compliant whole30 food for dinner, and my stomach is so full it actually hurts and I can't move.

I eat chocolate and jelly babies at work because I'm bored, it gives me something to look forward to and a change of scenery by walking to the shop and getting out of the office.

I have been having soya lattes to try and keep me awake and sort of functioning due to a bout of glandular fever.

My jeans are tighter than ever and I nearly cried when putting them on today.

I plan my entire days around meals, and they are a source of happiness.

I really need help getting my head back in the game for a whole30, after all, it'll do me nothing but good.

I have a close family member that also struggles with a binge eating disorder and I know how difficult that can be. I also know that it can completely consume your life and your thinking to the point that your whole day revolves around food (as you've described above). I am so sorry that you are struggling so much.

I am not sure that another Whole30 is the best thing for you right now. Because of the very specific restrictions of the Whole30, it can be a trigger for people plagued by eating disorders. Instead of concentrating on following the Whole 30, I feel like you'd be better off spending time healing and repairing your relationship with food.

It also seems like seeking professional help would be a good idea. I've read a lot of your posts on here, and it seems like you've been struggling a lot recently. While the forum is a great place to turn for encouragement and support, it can't replace the kind of personalized help a professional would be able to provide.

I hope you can find the help and support you need!

Man, I've been trying to think of some surefire advice to give you, but I keep coming 'round to the fact that what has worked for me or for others might not be what you need. Just generally, though: I think if food is in the center stage, you need to put something else there to move the spotlight away from it. Something you love more than food. But I don't know what that would be for you.

I really wish you luck, however you see yourself through this.

Thankyou :)

the frustrating part is that, post-whole30, my meals have 90% of the time stayed on template as I noticed real benefits in my energy levels, lack of hunger etc, but the binges are getting worse than ever.

So sorry to hear you're struggling so badly.  Some CBT-based advice, if you're interested:

Take your binge foods out of the house.  

Leave credit cards at home so you aren't tempted to buy binge food while out and about.  

Plan some fun, eating-incompatible distractions for times when you're particularly vulnerable.  

Make sure you eat enough at each meal to keep you satisfied, and if you start to get too hungry, eat a mini-meal or satisfying snack.

Last, honestly consider whether you might have a case of http://whole30.com/2012/02/whole30-gone-bad/

thankyou, the support and kindness on this forum never fails to warm my heart :)

I have realised that food is literally the only thing that brings me happiness - the past few months have left me with the breakup of my long term boyfriend (thought he would be the 'one'), as well as the death of someone extremely close to me. My world has been ripped out from underneath me. At the same time, the whole30 left me feeling great the first time I did it, and I know I will feel better mentally for it, but its just getting these bloomin' demons out of the way!!

• Whole30 Certified Coach

I'll toss out the two books I always do - have I said this already to you?  I can't remember... sorry if I did :)

Brain Over Binge by Kathryn Hansen and Rational Recovery by Jack Trempey

I'v done it all... OA, CBT, talk therapy, hypnosis, eating nothing but candy.  These two books changed my life.  I still struggle but much less than before.

When I am having a difficult time and all I want to do is binge - I commit myself to at LEAST 7 days of Whole30 eating just to get the SUGAR out of my system! I truly believe that it's the sugar wreaking havoc on my sanity and I can not think clearly when it is running rampant through my system. One day at a time my friend. best of luck in your journey- you are NOT alone!😊

thanks all, the support means a lot  :wub:

Tried to get on track today, for breakfast I had:

2 'palms' of beef mince, a small sweet potato, broccoli, carrots and leeks with a quarter of an avocado

lunch was 2 chicken breasts with spinach leaves, quarter of an avocado, broccoli carrots and leeks

had an insane sugar withdrawal headache so i went and got a little pack of grapes and apples, and a pack of hazelnuts

I know there's some snacking going on but it is better than yesterday :) 

also, last night's dinner was a piece of cod, with cucumber, spinach leaves and 1/4 avocado 

snack monster kicked in and i had blueberries and strawberries with cocoa powder  :ph34r:

breakfast this morning was 2 palms beef mince, broccoli carrots and leeks with 1/2 an avo 

can you tell I really need to go shopping for more  vegetables  :lol:

I find that when I want to binge there is always an emotional or mental trigger to it.  For me, it's usually stress.  If I sit down and have a conversation with myself, I can usually figure out what the problem is (like too many things to do and not enough time.)  If I make a plan to tackle my 'to do' list and cross some things off that can wait, my stress goes down and the desire to binge goes away.  It's not easy to do though.  It took me years to be able to 'talk myself off the ledge'.  It takes a lot of honest self assessment....which sometimes we aren't so good at  :)

Archived