Day 20. Reflux, bloating, still knackered!

Hi - just looking for tips really.

Day 20. Have had a variety of symptoms and discomfort but I would like some advice on reflux, indigestion, constipation and bloating.

I had already stopped eating nightshades (I have joint problems - I don't know if I am intolerant or not but I thought I may as well cut them out)

After being advised on here that I might need to cut out high FODMAP foods, I did so. My bloating got worse anyway. More painful and then I started to feel nauseous and get stomach cramps after meals.

After reading many posts I realised that some of my gut problems were probably due to suddenly consuming so much meat, sometimes at every meal, when previously my diet had consisted mainly of whole grains and veg (and junk). I ate meat maybe once or twice a month.

So I stopped eating meat for a few days, ate fish and eggs, got some magnesium and some Now Foods super enzymes. The magnesium worked its magic in unblocking me (sorry!) and the bloating has eased up considerably.

However, I still have a gurgly gut, it still bloats in the evening, and I'm still not regular. 

Today for lunch I tried a small amount of beef brisket with my veggies. 9 hours later I still have indigestion and reflux. I feel like there is a lump in my throat and I am full up. I haven't bothered with dinner. 

I'm not sure what to try next. Just wait for it to resolve? Continue to cut out foods? Eat meat or not? Take more enzymes? Take probiotics?

I will eat toenails if it will make me well!! (Lots of previous health issues)

Diet now consists mainly of fish, eggs, prawns, courgettes, carrots, lettuce, spinach, some bone stock, I cook with beef fat mainly. I drink water and plenty of it though some days I think I'm a bt light. I drink lemon hot water in the morning. I am eating more fruit in the past week, I think because I've cut out so many FODMAP veggies. Blueberries & banana mainly. Kiwi and orange occasionally. Honeydew melon the last couple of days.

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators

People who are not used to eating meat often need to take digestive enzymes for several months to help them digest animal protein well. After a few months, most will have developed the gut bacteria they need to do the job and can stop taking the enzymes. So think in terms of taking digestive enzymes for 3-4 months.

You need protein at every meal when you are doing a Whole30. The protein is part of what makes the magic happen. :)

Probiotics are always useful. I prefer to eat fermented foods rather than taking pills - sauerkraut, kimchi, fermented pickles, kombucha...

I know you make no mention of them so I assume you aren't eating them - but I thought I would make a mention of them.  Are you eating any nuts?  They could potentially cause stomach distress.

I was like you for a bit too and cut back on Night shades, Goitgotrens (Broccoli, spincach, kale, cauliflower, brussel sprouts) basically was living off of squash and root veggies for a bit.  As much as I wanted to limit starchies (because I wanted to loose weight), my body wanted them so it could properly learn to digest.  Later on I found that if a bit of starchy veggies were partnered off with some of the other veggies I was okay.

So I encourage you to keep playing around.

People who are not used to eating meat often need to take digestive enzymes for several months to help them digest animal protein well. After a few months, most will have developed the gut bacteria they need to do the job and can stop taking the enzymes. So think in terms of taking digestive enzymes for 3-4 months.

You need protein at every meal when you are doing a Whole30. The protein is part of what makes the magic happen. :)

Probiotics are always useful. I prefer to eat fermented foods rather than taking pills - sauerkraut, kimchi, fermented pickles, kombucha...

Thanks - do you think I need to stay off meat proteins until I have taken the enzymes for a while? I do eat protein with every meal - eggs, fish, prawns. Does bone broth contain much protein? 

I've started sipping Kombucha - am taking it slow because I'm worried about getting more digestive symptoms! 

• Moderators

The way to use digestive enzymes is to take a few bites of your meal, then take the enzymes, then finish your meal. If you take them on an empty stomach, they burn. I've never done it, but I have heard reports from a few people who have. The enzymes are meant to help you digest the plate of food you take them with. So I don't think waiting to eat meat for a while will help.

I suffered digestive upset from kombucha for about 4 days after I started and then things cleared up. Now I drink at least one bottle per day and sometimes two.

The way to use digestive enzymes is to take a few bites of your meal, then take the enzymes, then finish your meal. If you take them on an empty stomach, they burn. I've never done it, but I have heard reports from a few people who have. The enzymes are meant to help you digest the plate of food you take them with. So I don't think waiting to eat meat for a while will help.

I suffered digestive upset from kombucha for about 4 days after I started and then things cleared up. Now I drink at least one bottle per day and sometimes two.

Thanks. Someone else has just suggested that my symptoms sound like hers and she thinks it's related to eating fruit and having low acid, with a possible overgrowth of H Pylori but that's all getting a bit beyond me!! I suppose I should just keep going and hopefully all the gut bacteria will catch up.

My symptoms are definitely worse after eating meat even when I've taken the enzymes.

Also -  my post nasal drip is worse and my sinuses are stuffed up today. Somehow that feels connected - probably because of the swallowing issue with both complaints. 

I am having the worst sinus season ever in my life this year, although we are getting more rain now and the amount of pollen seems to be in decline finally. 

Everytime I eat I can feel the acid going up the back of my nose. All the symptoms increase. The feeling of a lump gets worse. The post nasal drip gets worse. I feel full up really quickly. I am getting pain in my back between my shoulders and a feeling like my chest is "full". I also get a slightly asthmatic feeling. Then I want to cough. My throat is sore. I want to burp but can't. It's not seasonal sinus problems. It's related to eating. I don't know what to do!!

Everytime I eat I can feel the acid going up the back of my nose. All the symptoms increase. The feeling of a lump gets worse. The post nasal drip gets worse. I feel full up really quickly. I am getting pain in my back between my shoulders and a feeling like my chest is "full". I also get a slightly asthmatic feeling. Then I want to cough. My throat is sore. I want to burp but can't. It's not seasonal sinus problems. It's related to eating. I don't know what to do!!

This sounds like a reflux problem complicated with sinus problems (I used to have most of these symptoms, still have some). Have you had doctor check you out? He might be able to prescribe antacids, sinus medications, and other medication.

This sounds like a reflux problem complicated with sinus problems (I used to have most of these symptoms, still have some). Have you had doctor check you out? He might be able to prescribe antacids, sinus medications, and other medication.

I take it all. It's not working clearly!

Stress, then? When I'm anxious, my reflux definitely gets worse and the lump in my throat feels like it gets bigger and my throat tightens.

And I guess also time. Give it time. I know you're in distress right now, but you did mention you had long-standing health issues. It might take longer to turn things around. I've read posts in various forums where some people stated it took much longer than the 30 days to see results.

Hang in there!

Do you have seasonal allergies? If so, I wonder about oral allergy syndrome. It's when your body is allergic to trees, weeds, grass, etc. and confuses the things it's allergic to with foods you eat. So, for example if you were allergic to rag weed, you might have a stomach ache when you eat a banana. (I know, weird!) I have this and sometimes my reaction is lips itching/swelling (something that would seem obviously allergy-related) but other times, the reaction comes in the form of heartburn or stomach ache. Took me a while to figure out the connection. You can look up online OAS cross-reactivity charts to see which reactive foods tend to be connected to which plant allergies. Oh, and typically, the reaction only happens when the food in question is raw.

Do you have seasonal allergies? If so, I wonder about oral allergy syndrome. It's when your body is allergic to trees, weeds, grass, etc. and confuses the things it's allergic to with foods you eat. So, for example if you were allergic to rag weed, you might have a stomach ache when you eat a banana. (I know, weird!) I have this and sometimes my reaction is lips itching/swelling (something that would seem obviously allergy-related) but other times, the reaction comes in the form of heartburn or stomach ache. Took me a while to figure out the connection. You can look up online OAS cross-reactivity charts to see which reactive foods tend to be connected to which plant allergies. Oh, and typically, the reaction only happens when the food in question is raw.

I do have oral allergies to certain fruits like melon. Had no idea it could cause stomach problems. I will look it up. Thanks. I have reacted in the past to bananas but not lately. Usually the riper the fruit the bigger the itch! 

I have read a lot about reflux and how to fix it - seems that using antacid etc is entirely the wrong thing to do! I have taken NSAIDs in the past and Omeprazole for years.

http://chriskresser.com/get-rid-of-heartburn-and-gerd-forever-in-three-simple-steps

I've stopped the omep, I've stopped drinking so much water (and am less thirsty), am chewing something bitter before I eat to increase enzymes, am taking probiotics and extra enzymes, I no longer drink with meals, I chew my food for much longer and when it arrives, I will start taking HCL with pepsin. 

The reflux hasn't gone entirely but it has eased considerably. I no longer feel like I am drowning in acid!! There are times in the day now when swallowing feels easy!

I had no idea until this week how significant my digestive issues are. I thought I had a mild case of IBS. No wonder I had so many unexplained deficiencies and quirks in my bloods. 

So the next step for me is AIP based on The Paleo Approach. I am already sans nightshades so it's only eggs, nuts and seeds to go. (No more cumin or seed based spices) I have at least 5 conditions that she lists as Autoimmune. My family all have autoimmune disorders. 

It's day 25 Whole30. I have no intention of reintroducing anything on day 31. I have just packed away my redundant toaster! It's been gathering dust for the past few months!

This is WholeLife I reckon!

I have read a lot about reflux and how to fix it - seems that using antacid etc is entirely the wrong thing to do! I have taken NSAIDs in the past and Omeprazole for years.

http://chriskresser.com/get-rid-of-heartburn-and-gerd-forever-in-three-simple-steps

Wow, really? Thanks! I'll be sure to check this out for myself (since I'm taking a daily antacid for my reflux.)

And I'm so glad things are looking up for you!

Wow, really? Thanks! I'll be sure to check this out for myself (since I'm taking a daily antacid for my reflux.)

And I'm so glad things are looking up for you!

I know! it's a revelation reading about what's probably really happening in our gut! Good luck. Let me know if you can improve your own reflux.

• 2 weeks later...

I take the NOW enzymes mentioned in "Starts with Food" and they help a lot.  For a fuller explanation of this check out Robb Wolff's website or his book The Paleo Diet.

I have had digestive problems for years and if I stay off dairy, and grains, and take my enzymes I have no problems.  I weaned myself off any drugs years ago.  The one thing that can cause me problems is too much uncooked veggies; then I just take more enzymes.  I'm currently experimenting with Kombucha which seems to help as well and soothes my gut immediately if I feel a "spell" coming on.

Oh, and don't forget to drink water, just not too much with your meals. 

Good luck.

One note on the NOW enzymes...they changed their ingredient list since the publishing of It Starts With Food and it now contains sulfites and is therefore not Whole30 compliant anymore. :( Check your ingredients and be sure. There are other brands of digestive enzymes out there you just need to check labels and find one that is compliant. 

Archived