Starting Whole30 tomorrow (May 19th)

robynlo77

Hi everyone...Been a bit crazy over here.  I went off the program for just over a day...I suspected this might happen around our office move as well as a super heavy work and project load, and I am aware of the choices made.  Having said that, I did not stray too far from the Path :-), and jumping back on to Whole30 again tomorrow.

I have to say when found this website about a year ago, I thought it was totally nuts and not doable, certainly not doable by me.  11 days in I saw that it was totally doable, and it's not that hard for me!.  More time in the kitchen on the weekends and during the week, but I'm getting better at that and ordered a new food processor to help (not needed at all, but I like the excuse LOL).  I recovered from my flu/cold faster than before, I am eating more and feel SATISFIED to the point of not being hungry between meals.  I am eating a lot more than I did before and feel better for it.  My clothes are starting to feel a bit loose, so bummer that I went off, but think I'll come back to plan pretty quickly.  It's also been easy to stay off the scale these many days in.  Initially it was hard, but I have found it not to be a big deal.  I see the "life changing" part of this in a way that I did not think/feel possible for me.

Lastly, have a confession to make when I started on the 19th.  This has been bugging me because my integrity is on the line.  I did not think I would be able to a full compliant Whole30 and stop smoking.  So I just did my own modified version and continued to smoke.  Because of the the 11 days, I think I can do both now.  This is huge for me, truly life changing LOL, who knew?

Anyways, tomorrow it starts all over again, this time 100% compliant.  Wish me luck and I'll be chiming in here, if okay, to see how folks are doing.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys!

It's a challenge. If it was easy everyone would do it. Give yourself props for what you did you, analyze why you though it would be "okay" to go off your diet and figure out how you will mitigate this in the future. You can do it.

I am an aspiring Entrepreneur and they tell you failure is the most important part, because success doesn't teach you as much as failure. Remember these as learning opportunities. 

Try try again!

I wish I could find a compliant bacon in our local stores...we don't have a whole foods or Trader Joes...I might have to look online.

Its funny you mention your hips being sore. I normally have the problem, especially after sitting, then getting up and moving. Some days I would hobble around like a reeeeaaalllly old person. Happy to say, I haven't had any issues in the past 11 days. I think I might have an issue with dairy (I normally love it), but I think it might have also bothered my stomach. I like the idea of reintroducing foods, then going back on whole 30.

My daughter took some goldfish crackers for part of the classes snack. When I was putting them in a baggie (before whole30, I probably would have shoved a handful in my mouth), when I smelled them, I didn't think they smelled good at ALL. I wonder if our smelling senses change with doing whole 30.

Its Friday morning here...start of day 12! I hope everyone has a great day, and enjoys there weekend!

Yes my hips and sometimes my arms have been incredibly painful. If I take ibuprofen it goes away. I am quite perplexed. No amount of stretching seems to help!!!! I am eating a lot less, I fill my plate with meat and veggies and then only eat â…” of the plate. So I have been stopping because one of my main problems is overeating when I am not hungry, finishing the plate when it is set in front of me. 

I am still missing rice and dairy. I am not tempted i just wish i could have it.

I'm feeling a bit bummed.  Day 16  Sugar is everywhere!!!

Found out too late that the bottle of pasta sauce I purchased had sugar in it.  After we ate it on our spaghetti squash and thought it tasted sweet, we realized it DID have sugar as an ingredient.  :(  and then we went to an event on Sunday where the only food was from food trucks.  I didn't plan ahead and had ridden my bike and was really hungry.  So found a Korean BBQ plate sans rice.  Beef strips , broccoli and Kim chee.  I have to tell you broccoli never tasted so good!!  The beef however did have sugar in the marinade.  I asked the server about their meats and she said they all have sugar in the their marinades.  I had to eat something!  

Several of you have mentioned going off, falling off, etc...  this is not easy folks!

Finding out the biggest challenge is being out and about.   I had lunch out with work friends yesterday.  So I ordered the house salad with shrimp added without dressing.  I brought my own little container of homemade dressing in my purse!  And it was just great!  But there again, planning ahead was the way I got it done.

I still feel good with this eating plan and have learned so much about what is in most of the stuff we eat.

I'm feeling a bit bummed.  Day 16  Sugar is everywhere!!!

Found out too late that the bottle of pasta sauce I purchased had sugar in it.  After we ate it on our spaghetti squash and thought it tasted sweet, we realized it DID have sugar as an ingredient.   :(  and then we went to an event on Sunday where the only food was from food trucks.  I didn't plan ahead and had ridden my bike and was really hungry.  So found a Korean BBQ plate sans rice.  Beef strips , broccoli and Kim chee.  I have to tell you broccoli never tasted so good!!  The beef however did have sugar in the marinade.  I asked the server about their meats and she said they all have sugar in the their marinades.  I had to eat something!  

Several of you have mentioned going off, falling off, etc...  this is not easy folks!

Finding out the biggest challenge is being out and about.   I had lunch out with work friends yesterday.  So I ordered the house salad with shrimp added without dressing.  I brought my own little container of homemade dressing in my purse!  And it was just great!  But there again, planning ahead was the way I got it done.

I still feel good with this eating plan and have learned so much about what is in most of the stuff we eat.

Accidentally eating sugar doesn't require a restart. Just continue to be vigilant. Did you ask about soy in the Korean bbq? That would be more concerning. 

Yes my hips and sometimes my arms have been incredibly painful. If I take ibuprofen it goes away. I am quite perplexed. No amount of stretching seems to help!!!! I am eating a lot less, I fill my plate with meat and veggies and then only eat â…” of the plate. So I have been stopping because one of my main problems is overeating when I am not hungry, finishing the plate when it is set in front of me. 

I am still missing rice and dairy. I am not tempted i just wish i could have it.

Mine have actually gotten better since starting whole30, I guess I didn't phrase that correctly. I did get new shoes, and started doing yoga a few days a week on top of my regular walking schedule, its' really helped. Sorry you are having a hard time.

A few days ago, kettle cooked chips sounded good. That would have been my "normal" go to snack before I started whole30. I am going to try a new Ranch dressing recipe today.

IDK what parts of the country or world you all are from. But food trucks (especially taco trucks) are very popular where I live. My husband knows an owner of one, and we asked if they use any sugar or additives in their food, and no, they don't. It was so exciting to go "out to eat", and enjoy something I do normally. I had chicken tacos, w/ EXTRA veggies and NO tortilla. I also add them add grilled onion and 1/2'd jalapenos on the side. I used the onion and jalapenos as my "tortillas" it was delish!

Today is the morning of my 17th day, I can't believe I've done more than half!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Yeah after 2-3 day of super painful hips, they seem to have cleared up. As far as going out we got some Whole 30 approved Chipotle. The guacamole is delicious. 

My husband has been doing a lot more cooking that has relieved so,e of the stress form me. This week we ate Mahi Mahi and he made a "meatloaf" with "ketchup". He loved the ketchup, me not so much, and he made some fried sweet potato chips. He sliced them with a mandolin and gently fried them in olive oil. I was so impressed that he took the time. They of course were delicious and I told him it was technically correct but probably not something we should make again. He agreed. I am more impressed that he took the time.

My husband is starting to fit into smaller pants and is looking really good. I can't tell if I am losing weight. Lately I haven't felt like eating at all and have been delaying or barely eating at breakfast.I am not sure what to do. I have definitely been sleeping more soundly and falling asleep more easily.  I don't lay awake at all anymore, I pretty much fall right asleep.

I still find myself telling people I feel "tired" and its not so much that I am physically tired it is more that I tired of some of the circumstances I find myself in, some of the stress of my job at sometimes seem unbearable. I think I really used food to cope with my job.

I find myself thinking, some mayo that I didn't make might be okay, some store bought deli meat would be okay,  so I have to pay attention to what I am actually eating, not what my brain is going on about. 

I miss coffee, mostly the smell. Other than that I am feeling pretty good. 

Happy day 18!

Yeah after 2-3 day of super painful hips, they seem to have cleared up. As far as going out we got some Whole 30 approved Chipotle. The guacamole is delicious. 

My husband has been doing a lot more cooking that has relieved so,e of the stress form me. This week we ate Mahi Mahi and he made a "meatloaf" with "ketchup". He loved the ketchup, me not so much, and he made some fried sweet potato chips. He sliced them with a mandolin and gently fried them in olive oil. I was so impressed that he took the time. They of course were delicious and I told him it was technically correct but probably not something we should make again. He agreed. I am more impressed that he took the time.

My husband is starting to fit into smaller pants and is looking really good. I can't tell if I am losing weight. Lately I haven't felt like eating at all and have been delaying or barely eating at breakfast.I am not sure what to do. I have definitely been sleeping more soundly and falling asleep more easily.  I don't lay awake at all anymore, I pretty much fall right asleep.

I still find myself telling people I feel "tired" and its not so much that I am physically tired it is more that I tired of some of the circumstances I find myself in, some of the stress of my job at sometimes seem unbearable. I think I really used food to cope with my job.

I find myself thinking, some mayo that I didn't make might be okay, some store bought deli meat would be okay,  so I have to pay attention to what I am actually eating, not what my brain is going on about. 

I miss coffee, mostly the smell. Other than that I am feeling pretty good. 

Happy day 18!

Yay, Day 18!   I have been having visions of a nice cold glass of milk.  Or a glass of wine and crusty bread.  Now thinking about the reintroduction process.  I'm going to read that part of the book soon.  

Things I've noticed so far.  My skin is better, not so dry.  I have plenty of energy.  Cravings for snacks are less.  Clothes fit a little better. Like you Minamyna, I don't know if I have lost, but I think I must have a little.   Hang in there with dealing with your stress.  I know I tend to eat mindlessly when stressed, for sure.

I had the craziest dream last night! I have had a couple of food dreams, about eating ice cream and things. Last night I dreamed I ate cookies, and I was so mad, and I even thought to myself maybe this is a dream because I tend to do this in my dreams. So I ate another cookies, and my internal voice is screaming no, and I am like how could this be a dream, this is for real I have to start over again!! I was so mad, mostly I am mad that my husband will hit his whole 30 before me.

So funny. 

I took a day of work. I have to make my sister a cake, and I have a feeling it may be a whole new form of torture....

I just finished the cake. It was stressful, I had to keep washing my hands to not lick my fingers (something I tend to do frequently when baking). I did get some chocolate on my hand then magically on my face, but I washed everything off and then all the bowls. Now the cake is sitting her at my house gloating. So I have eaten a lot of fruit today, however, in light of the cake in my house, I am not going to give myself a very hard time.

I have been super addicted to the television lately, (mostly netflix) and ignoring my homework. This part is not going well. My focus is all over the map.

Yesterday I took time to clean the whole house and do all the laundry. I went to look in the fridge and there was a ton of food that needed to be eaten. We have gotten a little overzealous with the cooking.  

Now I am mostly a little worried about what I will eat or will want to eat when my 30 days are over, I honestly feel like 30 days will not be enough despite the trials that I have already gone through. Anyone thought about their end game?

Hi, Yes I've thought about  the end game.  Actually my sleep has been really bad the past few days.  Also not felt well, bloated etc.  I work in the schools and just got off for the summer and now I am staying up too late and sleeping in a little too late.  It really has screwed up my circadian rhythms.  It just goes to show that proper rest is so important too.  

I think 30 days is just scratching the surface.  I plan to really limit the sweets and to take grains, dairy and legumes slowly one at a time.

all the best to you all at Day 23 !!

I re-read the part about circadian rhythms and corisol and I think my cortisol is off. My hubby and I are thinking about getting preggers in the next year and I just really want to be as healthy as possible. We are planning on eating as healthy as possible when we are "done."  find I can tell if I haven't eaten enough veggies because I feel really off.

What do you think is causing the not sleeping and the bloating? For the not sleeping thing for me every light has to be off. I had a little trouble the other night, since this used to be a continual problem for me. I just lay in bed, like i am sleeping and write a pretend book about my favorite subject until I sleep. It has to be dark dark dark. 

I have had some gas but not much.

Yep, this is showing us how foods and patterns really affect us.  I think for me, the uncomfortable bloating comes from eating too many nuts, especially cashews.  They have been my go to snack food, but I like them too much and  can easily eat too many when I am not really hungry.  

I have to make sure any tea I drink in the afternoon or evening is non-caffeine.  That is  a big one for me.  

Good luck with being healthy and starting a family!!  It is a joy and a blessing- after having three of my own who are now adults. 

Thanks! The times seems to be flying by. Other than work being insanely stressful, the food has been really easy. 

When I come home from work sometimes I am insanely hungry. Today I came home, I ate my lunch that I didn't finish at work, a peach, larabar, coconut oil, and then the dinner that my loving hubby had prepared. I don't know why I was hungry!

Strange huh?

Start of day 30! I am holding off weighing myself until tomorrow morning....but I am ansty to find out. Some of my clothes are fitting more loose, so I know I have lost inches.

I remember 1/2 way through this first 30, I was doubting I could do it...and I am so proud I did...(not to say some bread didn't sound good a long the way)

I hope everyone has a successful last day....I will check in tomorrow, is my "offical" results.

ok, completed the Whole 30!!  and today, down 5 lbs. :)   Congrats to those who started 5/19.  I hope to keep going strong and that a two week vacation doesn't derail my progress.  I think I have learned a lot!!

Archived