Starting Whole30 tomorrow (May 19th)

robynlo77

I have been researching, and reading up on whole30 for the past few weeks. I prepped my fridge and pantry, and put the "no" items out of my way, as the rest of my family isn't following whole30.

I have to say I am excited...all the info online, has been so helpful, and I don't feel like I am "flying by the seat of my pants" trying to figure out what I can and can not eat!

Feel free to add me as a friend, I would appreciate the support, as well as give it! :D

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm also starting tomorrow, May 19th. I'm both excited and nervous. I've started and stopped a lot of programs but really need to commit to this. I'm tired of feeling (and looking) the way I do, so I'm really determined.

I am starting tomorrow too. I was going to start on May 5th, but i didn't quite get myself together! Spent yesterday at the grocery store and today getting ready.This forum is great for support and advice. We can do this!

I'm starting today so I'm with you guys. This is my second attempt at Whole 30 - I did one last August and only lasted about 2 weeks. I had a three month-old baby and a two year-old at the time and I was so sleep-deprived and busy I just couldn't do it. Now the baby is almost one and I feel like it's time to give it another shot. Good luck everyone!

Well today went well although I have to say the evening TV snacking after the kids go to bed is going to be hard for me. I had some celery tonight which definitely did not hit the spot. I'm going to have to figure out a better option. How did everyone else do?

Well today went well although I have to say the evening TV snacking after the kids go to bed is going to be hard for me. I had some celery tonight which definitely did not hit the spot. I'm going to have to figure out a better option. How did everyone else do?

I saved my fruit for late night when I have ice cream normally, so I had a very small apple. It was a delicious apple at that point.

I saved my fruit for late night when I have ice cream normally, so I had a very small apple. It was a delicious apple at that point.

If you're finding the need to snack, that typically means your earlier meals need to be bigger. Using the recommended meal template as your guide, play with your protein, vegetable and fat portions at your main meals, to create meals that satiate you for 4-5 hours.

If, on the way to getting there, you still find you're hungry between meals (hungry = you could eat steamed fish and brocolli), have a mini meal containing a protein and fat.

Save your 1-2 daily servings of fruit to enjoy with or immediately after meals instead.

I started yesterday too! What a great group all taking this journey. Yesterday was great but man I'm suffering today. So tired, everything helps - detoxing is much worse this time than the 1st time I completed this. Maybe I should have learned something :) Good luck everyone.

It's about noon on my second Whole 30 day and I inadvertently ended up with a day off. I did Whole 30 earlier this year and had a killer migraine on day 2 and part of day 3. I was grateful for the day off because I thought it would kick in any minute today. I suppose it still might.

I bought parsnips this weekend. I am going to try a new vegetable each week, which is hard for me because I am not a big vegetable fan. I usually have a salad daily with guacamole and a piece of meat. I am trying to branch out more because I realize that variety boosts my nutrient intake.

I think I will try the parsnips with this recipes for garlic mashed parsnips: http://paleofood.com/recipes/veggies-garlicmashedparsnips.htm%C2'>

I stocked up on a few highly rated paleo cookbooks during my first Whole 30 but was not that impressed with the vegetables in most of them. I am very tempted by the Paleo Foodie and the Slim Palate on Amazon at the moment.

Desire Mapper, I am not sure what type of veggies you typically go for, but turnips have been my recent favorite- they simulate and replace potatoes, my achilles heel, very nicely and are wonderful in savory stews.  Also loving eggplant... I hope that helps :-)

Potatoes are a huge weakness for me...that and cheese. I am not sure how to cook a turnip but it's on my "to try" list. I chose parsnips because they seemed potatoes like. I've tried mashed cauliflower but regardless of the spices it tasted too cabbage-y for me. I did like cauliflower tots with heavy cream and cheese but that is a no no for at least 30 days.

I struggle a bit with the meal planning because I do not like eggs at all. They have always made me feel ill. I love eggplant in baba ghanoush but need to learn other ways to like. 

This is an experiment on so many levels for me. The first whole 30 I did earlier this year, I learned how much I actually ate in a week. Silly as it is, I was not sure because I prefer to eat out rather than cook for one. And I learned how much cooking that entails. I also expanded my exposure to spices and discovered a few great blogs. God bless Nom Nom Paleo, Clothes Make the Girl, and Rubies and Radishes. Those were the good  lessons.

Sadly, I discovered I probably need more than 30 days for a reset. I came off of it with more of a sweet tooth than I've ever had in my life, and there was so much Easter candy around. Obviously, need more work to create a healthy relationship with food.

Day #2 today :)

Im not sure if it's cause of all the prepping I did before hand, etc....but I feel really good. The meals I prepped were very filling.

What has anyone done exercise wise? I have just been walking in the morning (before it gets to hot). It's something I can easily do, once I get my daughter off to school. I listen to music while I walk, and that helps keep things upbeat.

Another thing I did differently, was going "public" by posting on my FB and Instagram. I am finding getting support here, and through those other venus, has really helped keep me accountable, and good for all the postive support.

I hope you all have a successful 2nd day :)

Wow, look at all the folks starting mid-way through the month--who does that?  We do!  Awesome!  I wish everyone all the best.  Just having dinner of day two and doing okay except for a bout of the flu.  I hardly ever get sick--So if feels extra weird or worse--and it's defo not carb flu.  Anyways, not feeling so awesome, but not feeling so horrible to postpone.  Having some delicious home made chicken soup with spicy chicken so I can taste it and hope it helps ease my symptoms.  I think home chicken stock is compliant, couldn't get to the store where I know they sell beef bones,

I'm not worried about exercise this week, want to get over this flu thing first.  What I plan to do is get back to weight lifting for sure, and then see how to work in walking or HIIT cycling as I can do that whatever the weather.  It rains here a lot. 

I've started this as Whole30, but my intuition is telling me longer, 45 days at least, or longer.  At the moment, I will focus on the first 30 and then evaluate.  I've eaten paleo style before, and followed what I thought was 80-20, but think, in hindsight is was not quite those percentages :-)--too much wiggle room that was not helping me keep the focus.  I like this program for the black and white rules and the awareness on health, not weight loss per se. 

I have two big reason or inspirations for doing this program.  1.  Is to see if I can get some of my vitality back.  I'm feeling flat and lifeless and tired--I'm not sad or depressed, but I'm not happy either, kind of meh, and that meh needs to go, or at least not visit so often.  2.  Take a big leap forward and start to learn to handle my emotions in a, hmmm, more responsible sounds wrong, but maybe in more enlightened way.  I have a tendancy, no pattern, definitely a consistant pattern of using/abusing food and alcohol rather than processing my emotions in a healthy way. 

Anyone else care to share?

If you're finding the need to snack, that typically means your earlier meals need to be bigger. Using the recommended meal template as your guide, play with your protein, vegetable and fat portions at your main meals, to create meals that satiate you for 4-5 hours.

If, on the way to getting there, you still find you're hungry between meals (hungry = you could eat steamed fish and brocolli), have a mini meal containing a protein and fat.

Save your 1-2 daily servings of fruit to enjoy with or immediately after meals instead.

I had it right after dinner (Chipotle rubbed Brisket and Asparagus) is that okay?

I have a feeling I will end up doing whole90 or more....but whole30 is a good start!

My top two inspirations are to

#1 to be in better health (not getting any younger)

#2 Be a good role model for my daughter, by showing her healthier options to eat. I've always been an emotional eater...and have chosen things not of the healthiest options for years!

A good sub for potatoes is celeriac. You don't have to peel it. Scrub with vegetable brush under running water. Cut in half, slice - you can cut off the ends of the slices if you care, like you would cut off a rind, otherwise the peel is fine.

Bake 1/2 hr or so until done. I vary the slice width and make chips, or sometimes make sticks. I can't believe I lived this long w/o celeriac. It's truly wonderful.

How do you eat baba ghanouj without crackers or bread? I just don't like eating it with a spoon.

Archived