Starting Whole30 tomorrow (May 19th)

robynlo77

BecFreeby,

I may try turnips this week. How do you prefer yours? I have never had one. My knowledge of root vegetables is the worst. Like the rutabaga, which I think is one of God's ugliest creations. No idea how to even start with that one.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy Day 7 Everyone!  How are you doing?  I am feeling a bit better, cold/flu thing seems to have just about gone, and that uncomfortable bloating feeling seems to be easing a bit.  I spent most of the day yesterday on the couch napping and was suprised how much I slept.  Think my body just needs to rest to recover/detox.  I only had two meals yesterday and they were a challenge to get down especially the vegetables--just not hungry and no desire to eat, but know that eating healthily is helping my body. Sleep was a bit off at the beginning because of the naps, but still managed.  Woke up half way through with a nasty hangover-like headache.  I am still experiencing dry mouth a bit and today I'm going to track how much water I am drinking to be sure it's enough. 

The CrockPot rocks! I made some homemade chicken stock overnight and it's super delicious!  I also tried one of the new ceramic lined frying pans, also amazing, super easy to clean (both time savers).  Today will be prep and cook day and catch up on laundry and house cleaning. I'm finding my coffee cravings seem to be diminishing, which is an unexpected surprise.  Right, off to the kitchen I go for breakfast and then some serious food prep and cooking!

Sounds like you may have been a bit ill, besides the change in diet.  Hope you are feeling better today.

I am food prepping today too.  Making the crock pot chinese 5 spice ribs , plus golden cauliflower soup, and Asian meatballs.  Also roasting spaghetti squash, sweet potatoes,  brussels sprouts for the week.   Here is where I found most of my week 2 recipes:

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2014/01/04/whole30-2014-week-2-food-plan/

good luck to all!

She has amazingly, awesome recipes--thanks for the food/meal planning links!! I just finished making a double batch of http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/06/09/the-best-chicken-you-will-ever-eat-ever/ and I happened to spy http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/11/28/taj-mahal-turkey/ so adding that to try later on.  I've got to order her cookbooks!  With recipes like this it's pretty easy to be compliant.  And, made a double batch of the Primal Breakfast Casserole. 

Kitchen is looking rather like a bomb hit, so will have dinner and then tidy up.

Feeling a bit better, thank you for asking.

BecFreeby,

I may try turnips this week. How do you prefer yours? I have never had one. My knowledge of root vegetables is the worst. Like the rutabaga, which I think is one of God's ugliest creations. No idea how to even start with that one.

I'm not BecFreeby, but simply roasted in the oven with ghee and garlic is pretty good.  They are also in the Primal Breakfast Casserole (link somwhere above) or on the previous page.  I made a double batch and will let you know how it came out.  Oh wait, I think I'm thinking parsnips, not turnips, now I have to go look to see which one is what LOL.

I did pick up turnips today. I'm thinking worst cases scenario, I boil them and blend them with garlic and coconut milk. Almost everything is palatable blended with garlic. And rosemary. I did see the link to the breakfast casserole but it had eggs in it and eggs always make me feel ill.

I have both of the Well Fed books but regret buying them because my favorite recipes from the book are available free on her amazing web site. I love the Taj Mahal chicken. Made it too many times during my last Whole 30. 

I have a conference this week and am feeling nervous about the eating arrangements. Maybe I should have started later but already one week in and really wanting that Tiger Blood. I may end up doing more than 30 days, but we'll see how this week goes. I am keen to try some of Slim Palate's recipes, which are paleo but have some dairy and didn't discover his cookbook until after I started this round.

Day #7 woo hoo!

Over all, I have been feeling pretty good. I am a little tired today though. I just got done making some homemade mayo (found the recipe on YouTube. It is simply delish

1 egg

1 1/4cup Olive oil

juice of one lime

1/2 salt

1/2 tsp dry mustard

blend it all in a blender. I used my imersion blender, it worked great

My husband even liked it, and said it tastes better than mayo from a jar. 

I split it in half, and to one part I added some rosemary, garlic, basil, oregano, and black pepper. I just added enough of thease seasonings, until I liked how it tasted. I am going to use this half on my salads

I did pick up turnips today. I'm thinking worst cases scenario, I boil them and blend them with garlic and coconut milk. Almost everything is palatable blended with garlic. And rosemary. I did see the link to the breakfast casserole but it had eggs in it and eggs always make me feel ill.

I have both of the Well Fed books but regret buying them because my favorite recipes from the book are available free on her amazing web site. I love the Taj Mahal chicken. Made it too many times during my last Whole 30. 

I have a conference this week and am feeling nervous about the eating arrangements. Maybe I should have started later but already one week in and really wanting that Tiger Blood. I may end up doing more than 30 days, but we'll see how this week goes. I am keen to try some of Slim Palate's recipes, which are paleo but have some dairy and didn't discover his cookbook until after I started this round.

I would prep my food to take with me to the conference. I am sure I will do more than 30 days...but taking it one day at a time.

I wish everyone a great second week!

I just got done making some homemade mayo (found the recipe on YouTube. It is simply delish.

I tried yesterday with an immersion blender and it was not a success, so I chucked the resulting mixture into the fridge and will have a go with the blender somtime today.  I made some last week in the blender successfully and with a bit of coriander and it was quite tasty.  Funny thing is for the longest time I always made my own mayo and then got "lazy". LOL. You could also add some garlic for aioli, but if memory serves, it needs to mellow out in the fridge for a day, but is very tasty as well.

I remembered turnips being that odd light orange coloured vegetable my mother made at Thanksgiving, boiled to death, mashed with butter.  I would eat a bit, but never a fave.  Will see if I can get some here to try.

I wound having some of the primal breakfast casserole for dinner as it was getting late and that smelled pretty good.  It was not bad not quite as tasty as I would like, but I used organic 50/50, a mix of ground beef and pork instead of sausage meat.  Used shredded parsnips, and tried to add appropriate spices as found in breakfast sausage, and eggs. Could see if you don't like eggs or have egg-issues, this would not be a good thing for you.

Is it a thought to call the conference organizers and ask up front about food being served to make sure you'll have compliant choices availalbe?  Or like Robyn suggested, bringing some of your own food?  There are a few of us who are alreday thinking of doing this longer, so you would not be alone, and I see new threads being created daily for folks starting.  I am finding the support really helpful.

Happy Day Eight Everyone and Happy Memorial Day for those celebrating!

I am so over moon for sticking with this for a full week! And before I was really questioning my sanity and ability to to this.

Anyone noticing any changes? Perhaps early, but my face is clearing up, had a few blotches on my face clear up and my face looks less bloated and puffy.  Oh, the beets I had as part of lunch yesterday were really sweet tasting.  Who knew?  Still have this bloated feeling, but think it might be the old liver processing yeast/bacterial die off with no wine/sugar to feed it.  Got that little tidbit from the link below and now supplementing with a liver support supplement from Now Foods that is Whole30 compliant to see if this helps at all.

Anyone who might have autoimmune issues might want to check out the resources and blog posts at www.thepaleomom.com Also lots of recipes and primers for paleofying regular food, clearly only for after your Whole30 program. :)

Enjoy your day off whilst I keep slogging away :D .  To be fair, it's a holiday here on Thursday, and looking forward to it.

Happy Day Eight Everyone and Happy Memorial Day for those celebrating!

I am so over moon for sticking with this for a full week! And before I was really questioning my sanity and ability to to this.

Anyone noticing any changes? Perhaps early, but my face is clearing up, had a few blotches on my face clear up and my face looks less bloated and puffy.  Oh, the beets I had as part of lunch yesterday were really sweet tasting.  Who knew?  Still have this bloated feeling, but think it might be the old liver processing yeast/bacterial die off with no wine/sugar to feed it.  Got that little tidbit from the link below and now supplementing with a liver support supplement from Now Foods that is Whole30 compliant to see if this helps at all.

Anyone who might have autoimmune issues might want to check out the resources and blog posts at www.thepaleomom.com Also lots of recipes and primers for paleofying regular food, clearly only for after your Whole30 program. :)

Enjoy your day off whilst I keep slogging away :D .  To be fair, it's a holiday here on Thursday, and looking forward to it.

I have to say, NOT stepping on the scale, has probably been harder than not eating specific foods! I think my face looks a little less puffy. I took before pics, so I will compare in another week.

We are grilled burgers today for lunch...Im going to grill some pineapple and top it with guac, to go with mine (minus the bun, and jarred condiments)

Happy day 8 to everyone!

Day 8. 

My husband is feeling better, but I am still feeling very snacky and wanting to eat fruit or make things that are SWYPO. I have experienced in eating and making things that are technically correct, but mimic "bad" foods. Today has been hard, trying to decide how much to eat fruit or how much eat sweet potatoes, coffee with cream, everything tastes a little off. 

Hubby made some "ragu" tomatoes, zucchini, peppers and beef. It is pretty good. I tried some eggplant and it turned out.... yucky. I sliced and baked  it with some olive oil. The skin was really tough, so I need a new recipe for eggplant if I am going to try again.

Yesterday we did all our planning for the week and shopping, including buy a bunch of meat from US wellness. We bought some duck great so hopefully the variation of protein will help as well.

OH! We made some coconut shrimp last night it was pretty good.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Day 8. 

My husband is feeling better, but I am still feeling very snacky and wanting to eat fruit or make things that are SWYPO. I have experienced in eating and making things that are technically correct, but mimic "bad" foods. Today has been hard, trying to decide how much to eat fruit or how much eat sweet potatoes, coffee with cream, everything tastes a little off. 

Just checking, when you say coffee with cream you mean coconut cream right?

We are grilled burgers today for lunch...Im going to grill some pineapple and top it with guac, to go with mine (minus the bun, and jarred condiments)

Happy day 8 to everyone!

Robyn we also grilled burgers yesterday.  Really good with the fixings only and no bun!  Used lettuce, tomato, onion, dill pickles, avocado and homemade mayo!  We added grilled portobello mushrooms with splash of balsalmic and grilled sweet potato rounds too.  That pineapple sounds delish tho.  Happy Holiday!

Day 8. 

Hubby made some "ragu" tomatoes, zucchini, peppers and beef. It is pretty good. I tried some eggplant and it turned out.... yucky. I sliced and baked  it with some olive oil. The skin was really tough, so I need a new recipe for eggplant if I am going to try again.

Yesterday we did all our planning for the week and shopping, including buy a bunch of meat from US wellness. We bought some duck great so hopefully the variation of protein will help as well.

OH! We made some coconut shrimp last night it was pretty good.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Were you able to find approved bacon when you did your shopping?  Anyone know if they have it a Whole Foods?  I am going to a party on Friday and need to take an appetizer.  I thought of dates wrapped in bacon and baked.  It is really good. Can also slide an almond in the date for a little crunch.

Happy Day 9 everyone! How is everyone doing?  I'm doing well and just realized we are almost through the first third of the journey! Lots of prepared good food in the fridge, tried the Taj Mahal turkey with chicken last night, very tasty, so that's a keeper.  Liver support supplement seems to be working, so will continue that through.  I think I found a compliant probiotic, so may order that and take for a few weeks.  Slept better last night, so that key as well.

Am getting exctied to start working out again now that I feel better, so aiming for starting on day off on Thursday and pick up where I left off at end of March--April was one of those "life happens" months.

Enjoy!

Were you able to find approved bacon when you did your shopping?  Anyone know if they have it a Whole Foods?  I am going to a party on Friday and need to take an appetizer.  I thought of dates wrapped in bacon and baked.  It is really good. Can also slide an almond in the date for a little crunch.

Hello-

Yes I found approved bacon. We bought ham and all kinds of delicious things, it will be here tomorrow. I am very excited. (And yes its actually coconut milk in my coffee- my craving addled brain said cream)

My food has been a bit hum drum. Yucky tasting and always wishing for sweeter. We cooked some new york strips from a local producer that has been marinated: http://thesaffrongirl.com/balsamic-pepper-rumb-steak/ It was heaven and some broccoli with ghee (clarified butter) and dill.  Both were good. 

I tried a quiche with clarified butter, spinach, ground pork and spices and I can barely bring myself to eat it. I know there is a casserole floating out there some where I am going to have to look it up. I also  made a pumpkin side dish with spices, almonds, shredded coconut, and an egg. BLECH. The pumpkin is just a little bitter.  I haven't figured it out yet. 

I need to find more food that I like. :)

On a better note I have been trying to work out regularly, and so far I have met with success. I am starting slowly because I am so easily discouraged. Tuesday and Thursdays I have been swimming for 20 mins during my lunch break (the university I work at has a pool). I usually eat a small bite before I go, when I get back through I am rarely hungry. I am not sure what to do about this.

Good Luck on Day 9!

Edited to add: I looked through some of the recipes for breakfast casserole and I was supposed to combine the two recipes (sweet potatoes and the eggs- well pumpkin in my case).

Hi Day 10 companions!  One third down , hope everyone is doing well.  I have to give two thumbs up to the Paleo Pad Thai recipe I cooked up last night.  From The Clothes Make the Girl.  

Also had some great tuna salad today for lunch.  Genova tuna, minced onion, celery and dill pickle mixed together with home made mayo.  Kalamata olives and carrots .  All this so easy to take to work.

Kind of getting sick of eggs for breakfast tho.  

Have three social events to attend three days in a row this week.  Have to stick to my Whole 30 rules but it will be a test!

Minamyna, hope your meats from US Wellness are good. Keep us posted!

TTFN

Day 10, Hello everyone.  I'm quite happy I made it through the holiday weekend and on day 10.  I'm feeling quite successful.  :)  I feel very good, better than I have in a long time.  Overall, I think I'm in a better mood, but when I get irritable, watch out.  Eating healthy is easier than last week.  The worst part is cooking everyday.  I did go out to eat once over the weekend and chose wisely.  Coffee - I've been drinking it with coconut milk.  I'm not a fan but I'm hoping it will grow on me.  ;)  I've been drinking lots of water and don't really crave soda or tea.  Yea! What I miss most is my coffee with splenda and creamer. 

Good luck through the week.

So far I have made the salmon cakes( actually good for breakfast the next day BTW) I did the basil stir fry with flank steak. Best chicken ever and the baby back rib recipes. Sounds like I hate really well. Guess what I lost 11 lbs on day 8. I know not to weight. I swear its the last time. But that's all the proof I needed. So I also descovered dijon mustard with a hint of home made mayo. Grill a ring of onion and put the mixture on top and hello outback jacks blooming onion with out the breading.

I started on May 21st (day 9 now) and it's just starting to get a little easier. I find the best solution to the snacking at night is to NOT snack at night. Simple, right? HA! It's one of the things I've been wanting to kick, so better for me to just rip the band-aid off even though it has been painful. I'm not really hungry, just missing my wine and refined sugar fix. 

As far as exercise goes, I took the first week off (besides walking the puppy). It was hard enough to make those changes without worrying about pumping iron  :wacko: Now I'm easing back into my regular workout routine. If you're just starting out, short periods of intense exercise are good and easier to maintain with better results.

This thing is tough! Good on all of you for committing to it. I'd love to hear how it's going now that you're past the first 1/3rd!

I only read the first page of posts before I commented, so my post is a little off topic. Any advice for someone starting to get a little bored? I feel like I've cooked eggs and ground pork every which way and the inevitable boredom is setting in. I haven't slipped at all and I don't intend to, but I'm so sick of kale and ground pork I'm going to scream. 

Start of day 11. Everything is going pretty well here...happy to have made it through an out to dinnner night, with no problems!

I started on May 21st (day 9 now) and it's just starting to get a little easier. I find the best solution to the snacking at night is to NOT snack at night. Simple, right? HA! It's one of the things I've been wanting to kick, so better for me to just rip the band-aid off even though it has been painful. I'm not really hungry, just missing my wine and refined sugar fix. 

As far as exercise goes, I took the first week off (besides walking the puppy). It was hard enough to make those changes without worrying about pumping iron  :wacko: Now I'm easing back into my regular workout routine. If you're just starting out, short periods of intense exercise are good and easier to maintain with better results.

This thing is tough! Good on all of you for committing to it. I'd love to hear how it's going now that you're past the first 1/3rd!

I only read the first page of posts before I commented, so my post is a little off topic. Any advice for someone starting to get a little bored? I feel like I've cooked eggs and ground pork every which way and the inevitable boredom is setting in. I haven't slipped at all and I don't intend to, but I'm so sick of kale and ground pork I'm going to scream. 

I try to prep most of my food on sundays, for the week. variety of veggies and fruit. I also grill/bake a couple different meats, and put them in individual containers, so they are easy to access, w/o much thought durind the week. I find, the less I have to think about what I am going to prepare, the better.

If you use pinterest or instagram, there are some great recipe pages to follow!

SO the US wellness meats arrived yesterday. What a wonderful box to get, the ham was tiny, but the beefsticks were larger than expected. We got duck breast, beef sticks, hotdogs, bacon, ham, and polish sausage.

We tried the bacon (we got ends that was all that was available) and it was good. Not sweet. I think many of us don't realize how sweet bacon is. 

I highly recommend, it was definitely worth it.  Day 11 is going well, the constant cooking is a lot of work, but Iworth it I think. I know I am probably still not eating 2 cups of vegetables a meal, but I am trying. 

Today is a swimming day. SO I am all packed and ready to do that at lunch.

My hips have been incredibly painful. They are really tight, so last night after reading all the ingredients trying to see if there was anything I couldn't have I took a cyclobenzaprine (muscle relaxer) and it hit me like a ton of bricks. They were prescribed when I fell off my horse and landed right on my hips hard. I tend to take them when my hips hurt too much to sleep.  This morning I could barely walk around I was so wobbly. I going to try see if I can get a massage or chiropractic and I wonder if the swimming is somehow making me sore?

Anyways. The food is going well, many temptations all around. I successfully took my sister to Cold Stone so "we" could have a treat. She even asked me which flavors were my favorite and I abstained, which I thought was impressive. For some reason the store smelled like rotting milk to me I have no idea why. I was almost gagging. She said she couldn't smell anything. It was certainly weird.

I finished the book last night. I am going to try the reintroduction the phyisbeth did, reintroducing something then going back on whole 30 for a week, and trying each thing. I am already aware I have trouble with wheat products. I think if mostly I can have dairy and some sugar back I will be happy.

Hi all,  I've been enjoying reading all the posts here.  Thanks Robynlo for starting it!  Day #12 is here!!   Had a work social yesterday and surprisingly there were thing I could eat and my plate did not sit empty.  Raw veggies, guacamole (I brought this so knew it had no sugar) , fruit, olives.   sparkling water was my only bubbly, sad to say :)

Then dinner I was on the run so stopped at Chipotle.  I had read you could get a whole 30 approved meal.  Got the salad with carnitas, guac and salsa only.  Skipped the dressing and made my own.  Actually felt bloated after all that food.....

But better today.  Going to do something with salmon tonight.  

Onwards , can't stop now.  Feels great.   Happy Friday all   :))

SO the US wellness meats arrived yesterday. What a wonderful box to get, the ham was tiny, but the beefsticks were larger than expected. We got duck breast, beef sticks, hotdogs, bacon, ham, and polish sausage.

We tried the bacon (we got ends that was all that was available) and it was good. Not sweet. I think many of us don't realize how sweet bacon is. 

I highly recommend, it was definitely worth it.  Day 11 is going well, the constant cooking is a lot of work, but Iworth it I think. I know I am probably still not eating 2 cups of vegetables a meal, but I am trying. 

Today is a swimming day. SO I am all packed and ready to do that at lunch.

My hips have been incredibly painful. They are really tight, so last night after reading all the ingredients trying to see if there was anything I couldn't have I took a cyclobenzaprine (muscle relaxer) and it hit me like a ton of bricks. They were prescribed when I fell off my horse and landed right on my hips hard. I tend to take them when my hips hurt too much to sleep.  This morning I could barely walk around I was so wobbly. I going to try see if I can get a massage or chiropractic and I wonder if the swimming is somehow making me sore?

Anyways. The food is going well, many temptations all around. I successfully took my sister to Cold Stone so "we" could have a treat. She even asked me which flavors were my favorite and I abstained, which I thought was impressive. For some reason the store smelled like rotting milk to me I have no idea why. I was almost gagging. She said she couldn't smell anything. It was certainly weird.

I finished the book last night. I am going to try the reintroduction the phyisbeth did, reintroducing something then going back on whole 30 for a week, and trying each thing. I am already aware I have trouble with wheat products. I think if mostly I can have dairy and some sugar back I will be happy.

I wish I could find a compliant bacon in our local stores...we don't have a whole foods or Trader Joes...I might have to look online.

Its funny you mention your hips being sore. I normally have the problem, especially after sitting, then getting up and moving. Some days I would hobble around like a reeeeaaalllly old person. Happy to say, I haven't had any issues in the past 11 days. I think I might have an issue with dairy (I normally love it), but I think it might have also bothered my stomach. I like the idea of reintroducing foods, then going back on whole 30.

My daughter took some goldfish crackers for part of the classes snack. When I was putting them in a baggie (before whole30, I probably would have shoved a handful in my mouth), when I smelled them, I didn't think they smelled good at ALL. I wonder if our smelling senses change with doing whole 30.

Its Friday morning here...start of day 12! I hope everyone has a great day, and enjoys there weekend!

Archived