Compliant Homemade coffee creamers/almond milk?

I am on Day 3 of my Whole30. I am an avid coffee drinker and like it sweet, so this has been one of the most challengings parts of this journey so far. I tried the canned coconit milk in my coffee on day 1, with a little but of cacao, but it is just not tasting good to me! I am used to putting dark chocolate almoind milk in my coffee, and wondered if anyone had a recipe for a compiant homemade chocolate almond milk, or any other ideas. I would almost rather not drink coffee at all unless I can find a way to make it taste good.  

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

My advice is to get really high quality coffee first. Shade grown, fair trade, organic. I find light to medium roasts to be less bitter. Second give yourself some time to adjust to not sweet coffee. It took me several months but now I can drink it black. If you really can't get there than you might not really like coffee so why drink it? As you progress through Whole30 you will get much more sensitive to sweet things so it might get easier. Compliant coconut or almond milk are ok. Blending coconut oil and ghee in your coffee is something to try. But trying to make your coffee sweet with compliant ingredients is kind of outside of the spirit of the Whole30.

How much ghee and coconut oil in a typical cup of coffee?

I think about 1-2 tbsp of each. Like bulletproof coffee only with compliant ingredients. Blending it is key! I've also blended some coconut butter in coffee. Very rich but way too filling for day to day.

Why would I want bulletproof coffee? What's the draw? Is it another way to get healthy fats in? If I drink it with breakfast I probably need to eliminate the guacamole with my breakfast?

I am with PhysioBeth on getting really good coffee. Bad coffee needs to be camoflaged by cocoa almond milk, flavours or creamers. Really high quality beans is a totally different story.

It might be that you don't really like coffee - I mean the taste of coffee. If so, maybe this is an excellent opportunity to quit coffee? Experiment with teas and herbal concoctions instead and see if you like the taste of them.

Why would I want bulletproof coffee? What's the draw? Is it another way to get healthy fats in? If I drink it with breakfast I probably need to eliminate the guacamole with my breakfast?

Great question Peg. Basically yes. Bulletproof coffee is a way to get healthy fats in. It comes from intermittent fasting where people are living off just the coffee for their first meal (not something we recommend at all in most situations and especially not during the whole30). Some people find it to be a good replacement for their latte--creamy, less bitter than black coffee. 

I made a beginners cup just now. It's ok. Not sure I need it. I'm getting my fats in pretty easily. Thanks.

If you enjoy black coffee than I wouldn't worry about it. I made it once and said "that was nice, but not necessary". I drink my coffee black 99.9% of the time and when I'm not on a Whole30 I treat myself to a little something special once in a while.

I love my Peruvian organic coffee from my local grocery store. It has a light roast and a slightly chocolate tasting finish. I have become very selective on my coffee since I now drink it black or with a little coconut cream. I've found that the regular coffee from Starbucks is too bitter for me to drink black (I think they over roast their beans). But the blonde roast is much less bitter and has a more mellow finish.

Thanks for the feedback. I am on day 3 of no coffee and hanging in there. I don't know what it is, but I just really enjoy a nice hot cup of coffee with some flavored creamer, especially on cold rainy nights like we had last night. But I am willing to forgo for the duration of my Whole 30. I enjoy tea as well, but again, usually put a little but of honey and milk in it. So, looks like water for me! hehe ;)

• 2 months later...

When you say "Blending is necessary"...does that mean you blend the coconut oil and ghee together first and THEN mix it into your coffee?  I'm sorry if I'm being anal on the details, but tomorrow is Day 1 for me and I'm an avid coffee drinker...with sugar and sweetened creamer.  I know for a fact I don't normally like the taste of "coffee" but am addicted to a warm cup of my coffee flavored milk and sugar every morning!  Really, this is the only thing that makes me nervous to give up!

I started drinking my coffee black when I went to France on a summer abroad program. Every morning I had my coffee. I tried the coffee with milk from the coffee machine but I did not like the taste of it (too milky). I also didn't trust the warm milk sitting out so I never had that in my coffee. I started drinking an americano. Because the coffee had whitish bubbles on the top of it (because it was pushed out of the machine), I thought that it had already had cream in it. It wasn't until the last day in France, when I'd been up a little earlier for my coffee to actually get cool and the frothy top to go away that I realized that I'd been drinking my coffee black for 27 days and I actually enjoyed it. I now typically drink my coffee black, but occasionally will add some coconut milk if i feel i didn't have enough fat in my meal (always drink it after!). I actually can't stand the taste of sweet coffee now, and I love that I have this "exotic" story of how it came to be.

• Moderators

When you say "Blending is necessary"...does that mean you blend the coconut oil and ghee together first and THEN mix it into your coffee?  I'm sorry if I'm being anal on the details, but tomorrow is Day 1 for me and I'm an avid coffee drinker...with sugar and sweetened creamer.  I know for a fact I don't normally like the taste of "coffee" but am addicted to a warm cup of my coffee flavored milk and sugar every morning!  Really, this is the only thing that makes me nervous to give up!

Whip it all together in a blender or with an immersion blender; don't just stir the fats into the coffee. Blending creates a creamy frothy beverage, and stirring creates a nasty oil slick. No comparison!

I never thought I would be a black coffee drinker. One year ago, it was cream and sugar. I stopped adding sugar late last year and thought it was a shame I had been adding it for so long... the cream was what made it! Then, I did the W30 in January and really thought I'd struggle drinking black coffee. Started by blending beans with some cinnamon and was very happy with this.

During my current W30, I learned about bulletproof coffee and I'm almost sad that I did because - YUM. I don't want to go back to black. I make mine with only a little bit of coconut oil and a tsp of cocoa powder, blended up with my Magic Bullet, and it's better than anything you could get at Starbucks. Once I'm off W30, I might try it with some peppermint or vanilla extracts.

Archived