RX bars listed as whole30 affiliate

debwilliams

• Moderators

RX bars do not measure up to Whole30 standards for inclusion in meals or as pre- or post-workout meals. They are okay to use while hiking long distances or as emergency food (something you keep in the pocket of your car to eat when you get stuck somewhere and need something). 

I bought RxBars as a pre workout thing to eat, when I wasn't quite ready to jump into another whole30, but now I have realized that I treat them like a candy bar (like Lara bars) and so I can't eat them anymore. I kinda wish they were made with like sweet potato or carrots something that's  not such a sugar bomb as dates/figs are. Surprisingly I don't even want them now that I'm on the whole30, I know they're going to be too sweet. 

• Moderators

Abby, 

You definitely do NOT want to eat them (or any carbs) before a workout. You want protein and fat PreWO so that your body will convert to using fat as fuel. Eating carbs preWO will sabotage that.

If you are doing a very long hike, run, bike, etc you will want to take in carbs about 2-3 hours into it, if you feel you need it. Once you are fat adapted you might not even need it that soon.

The Meal Template - read it over and over and print it out, it is your best friend in this! It took me awhile to memorize what to have when so I always kept it close at hand.

Archived