Coconut Sugar or Stevia

Ok so today is my last day of Whole30 and I am S C A R E D  :ph34r:   I am going to start with sweet because for the love of all things holy, I want to enjoy coffee again.  I used to use  2 vanilla splendas per cup of coffee and often had to cups.  I am NOT going back to that.  Someone told me that coconut sugar was good and I have some, but what about stevia?  

Thanks!

Tracey

• Moderators

Sugar is sugar is sugar. There is not a dime's worth of difference between the varieties. And we do not offer advice on "less bad" options around here. The difference between less bad and bad is not a game we support playing. Choose what you want and enjoy it.

we really don't offer recommendations on what is "less bad" once you are done with the whole30. Each individual has to choose for themselves. That said, I would consider what version of sugar tastes best to you, and use that one rarely, vs. compromising and having one you don't prefer often because you think it is better in some way. sugar is sugar is sugar.

hahahaha. I have to leave my comment just for the fun of Tom and I typing exactly the same thing at exactly the same time. Love ya Tom!

I feel like i just got spanked a little, though do I appreciate the double douse of total clarity.    :(

So that brings me to question 2 then...Whole30 is intended to be a 30 day deal or is it?  I get it, really I do.  I feel better.  I sleep better.  I look better. and on and on.  Which is why I am scared to stop.  But it is designed to end at some point right?  Am I missing something?   I intend to live as close to whole30 as possible 90/10 of 80/20 as I have heard others mention.  I do look forward to making healthy choices when eating out without having to give the 3rd degree to the restaurant staff.

PS I am going to France in July - land of cheese and bread and such.  I do want to make sure I am not going to have a gastrointestinal freak out while I am there. Suggestions?

So that brings me to question 2 then...Whole30 is intended to be a 30 day deal or is it?  

Yes! The whole30 is supposed to end at some point, and that is the point at which you get to "ride your own bike" and figure out what works for you. Personally, I found a lot of the aspects of the program worked really well for me, so I don't deviate much, but you might find you do fine with a little more sugar than me or some dairy or whatever. We won't tell you what choices to make. That doesn't mean it is wrong to make choices.  :)

So after some research and chatting with folks willing to talk to me about sugar ;-) I have decided to go with Stevia because it has carbs and therefore no glycemic rating

this makes me sad  :( . There really isn't much research on stevia and it is an artificial sweetener....who knows how the body really responds to taking in a sweet taste without accompanying carbs? taking off my moderator hat, my personal recommendation would be to use a version of "sugar" as close to whole natural food as possible. Honey, say, or maple syrup, where you are getting some vitamins and minerals at least  :) and it's in a form the body recognizes as food.

If you decide you must go with stevia, make sure you choose one that is just that. Most packaged versions also include dextrose or malodextrin or silica.

I hear you MissMary and I agree which is why  I am actually looking to grow and make my own stevia extract.  That way I will be SURE it is pure...in fact more pure than honey or maple syrup, neither of which sounds like it would be good in my coffee.  I am checking out http://wholelifestylenutrition.com/videos/how-to-make-your-own-pure-stevia-liquid-stevia-part-2/ At the moment.  

With my moderator hat off as well I would say that before I learned to drink my coffee black I learned to drink it with raw honey. I was actually surprised by how much I liked it and it is less bitter than stevia is. I was also a splenda user in my pre-real food days and stevia after that. I actually find it all way too sweet now to be honest. I used to regularly drink a cinnamon dolce latte from Starbucks and now even if I order it with just 1 shot of syrup I find it pretty darn sweet.

On the subject of "yes this program ends" you might find this article helpful after you finish your reintroductions and on your trip. For some reason this link never likes to work when I copy and paste it. It's a PDF that you will find if you google Whole30 guide to offroading. It is a flow chart.

WTG on deciding to never go back to Splenda!!

As a Type 1 diabetic (31 years) who is more healthy by all tests than most every "normal" person I know, I am a living test-case of any argument about impact on blood sugar, as I completely regulate my blood sugar manually So I'm just giving input into your pondering from the point of view of rise/fall of blood sugar... White sugar, brown sugar, coconut sugar, maple syrup & honey, raw or not, all create a quick spike in glucose, nothing "slow" or "low" carb about any of them.  Agave actually is much less of a spike than the others listed; I absolutely need less insulin to process agave than the others I listed.

Stevia (the real version, not the "mixed with other crap so we can patent it" versions) is NOT SUGAR. It has ZERO impact on glucose levels; I'm a test case for many years now. It has been used in Europe & Asia for many decades as a no-sugar sweetener before the USA finally broke down and let it be called a sweetener & not merely sold in the health food "supplement" isle, to the dismay of the fake sweetener companies who can't patent a LEAF (by itself).

It seems to me too that you got a bit "spanked," but I'm sure it's meant well. EVERYONE ANYWHERE is merely expressing an opinion based on what is working for them at this time in their life and what keeps them between the rails they set for themselves; just think - all vegans feel very, very sad for all "mislead" Paleos! (Kinda gets to be like religions clashing, eh? ;) ) But none of us are YOU. My understanding & DEEPEST POINT OF RESPECT for the actual founders of W30 is that ultimately they suggest, once "clean", be your own experiment to find out what works for YOU & what doesn't.  

I personally like black coffee, but I have used stevia for many years in other things as an alternative to ALL other sweeteners. I don't have an issue with it being a "sweet gateway drug" to suddenly stuffing my face with M&Ms or slamming sodas... because I don't do those things anyway. I killed my sugar & yeast/carb cravings years ago. If it leads you to donuts, might want to skip it. 

Because my primary interest is in keeping glucose levels nice and steady, but also in enjoying the sweetness of life :D , I feel GREAT about adding a bit to my herbal mint iced tea I make for a guest dinner, or to the squash soup I make that calls for juice - no thanks, I'll use a pinch of or drop of stevia instead.

ENJOY YOUR JOURNEY!! I'm loving mine!

Archived