meal planning around weeknight sports and weekend tournaments

jenmom1256

My husband and I want to recommit ourselves to w30 but where we've been having a hard time staying on track is trying to figure out what meals and snacks travel well to evening sports practices and more so weekend tournaments when you have to live out of a cooler.  

I would be grateful for any suggestions on meals and snack ideas that can help us stick with the program during those long hours on the field.   Thank you so very much!!!!

• Moderators

My go to road food is tuna salad and baby cut carrots. It lasts well in an ice chest. You can also make salmon salad, chicken salad, and even roast beef salad. Lettuce can work in a cooler too, but carrots stand up to punishment and provide more food for the effort. 

Last summer, for an away tournament, I made big batches of tuna salad, massaged kale salad and hb eggs and divided it between containers.  I ate that for breakfast and lunch each day and even dinner the night the team got pizza.  It held up well to travel and tasted good. I brought raw veggies, too, for snacking if the time between meals got too long.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Some of my go tos:

• No Fuss Salmon Cakes from It Starts With Food (great cold, even) or wild sardines or cold meatballs or chicken
  • guacamole or baba ghanoush or Sunshine Sauce from Well Fed cookbook to dip raw veggies into
  • Raw veggies: red pepper strips, snap peas, broccoli/cauliflower florets, baby carrots, celery, jicama, cucumber coins

Also, it never hurts to haul around a container of Velvety Butternut Squash, also amazing cold. Just bring a spoon.

Archived