Cake?????

SophieV

Hi! 

On day 7 of Whole30 and my birthday is coming up soon, it will happen during my whole30.

Whilst I am not too worried about missing out on cake, I know my kids might be a bit upset if I don't. At this stage I am thinking about baking a cake with them and not having any, but I wondering if someone more creative might have any ideas?

Thanks!

You could try sticking candles into a meatsa pie (see well fed or clothes make the girl blog), or do a big Lara bar (nomnompaleo has a recipe and there are others on pinterest). Kids don't really care what you eat, in my experience, they care about what you are going to let them eat. Don't sweat it, you could always buy a cake you don't like for the kids and have some beautifully prepared berries with coconut cream (well fed again) for you. This birthday, why not celebrate the awesome changes you are making for yourself and how much better you feel, rather than eating some cake that isn't going to contribute anything to your well-being (have you ever looked back on an experience and solely relived the food you ate during it? I usually remember experiences rather than meals...)Good luck kiddo, challenges are made to be busted.

Let them eat cake but I wouldn't bring it home.   Why not take them somewhere nice for a piece of cake/ice cream....leave all of the crumbs on and under the table.   Walk on out of there a free woman.

You don't want an entire cake sitting on your counter.

Don't buy into the idea that  you NEED to have a cake because of a birthday. Replace the cake with a fun event.  Walk in the park, Kite flying, Swimming at the local pool (indoors or out) Bike ridding, etc.. you get the idea.. 

This could be an ideal "teaching moment" for your kids - explaining to them that you don't want to eat cake because sugar isn't healthy, and you like being healthy more than you like cake. (They might be like "yeah right" but the message should stick.)

I think most kids care more about (a) the excitement (such as candles), and (b ) eating cake themselves, and are less concerned with whether you personally are eating it.

Once you are doing with Whole30, if you are interested in celebratory desserts, there is a vast array of recipes sugar-free/flour-free cakes (made from almond flour, coconut flour, even beans) which you may want to indulge in and which are at least better for you than cakes with flour and sugar. (Of course, such foods are not Whole30 compliant)

If you do all want to share a cake.. you could make a thin sponge layer, and then top it with berries and coconut whipped cream...and just skip eating the cake layer yourself... but personally I think the teaching moment is more valuable than that. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be on board with the teaching moment. You could go a step further and explain that you're not eating things like cake for a while because you want to be very sure that things in certain foods don't make you sick, and cake is one of those foods. And if you all go do something you enjoy as a family, or cook a nice Whole30 birthday dinner together, I really don't think the kids will be that upset if you don't eat cake. Of course, not sure how old they are. A four-year-old for whom birthday=cake might not care why there's no cake, just that there isn't any. 

Thank you for the replies!! Well, I have decided a nice steak is nicer than cake lol!! But still I have forwarded the fruits as a cake picture to my husband and hope he and the kids make it! Beyond that, I have made some lovely paleop inspired cakes which I would make as an occasional desert if not on whole30 :-)

Even without Whole30 in our lives, my dad never wanted cake for his birthday.  (He preferred fruit pies.)  So I grew up with a parent who did not want cake on a birthday.  I came out (marginally) normal. :P:ph34r:

Happy Birthday!

We've got 3 kids -- our oldest is now 13 -- and the thought never occurred to me that my husband and I should have cakes for our adult birthdays.  It's not something we have ever done.  Just goes to show you how much "normal" varies from family to family.  Here's your opportunity to create a new normal.  A teaching moment, indeed.  ;)

Happy Birthday!

Archived