Coconut Oil

jalstylist

Yes and no. You'll have to rely on your own tastes. If something is fried in coconut oil you can replace it with another high temperature fat like lard. If you are making Thai soup that calls for coconut cream you may be SOL. You might be able to substitute compliant almond milk but it might be too thin. Good luck!

• Moderators

Ghee can be used interchangeably with coconut oil in any recipe and for that matter, nearly any cooking fat can be used instead - beef tallow, duck fat, or lard. We don't recommend cooking with olive oil because high heat is not good for olive oil, but it works fine at lower cooking temperatures. 

Coconut cream is harder to replace, but like Tina said, almond milk is a possibility.

Thank you! I actually dont mind coconut cream in thai soups. do either of you know what brand canned coconut cream is ok to use?

You'll have to read labels. I know that Aroy-d has boxed coconut cream that is compliant. You can get it from amazon.com but it is kind of expensive. Some people said trader joes has compliant canned coconut milk, I have never found any and Thai kitchen might be compliant.

• Moderators

Hello! I just started the Whole30 4 days ago. So far so good! I am not a huge fan of coconut. So when recipe's call for coconut oil or cream is there any suggestions for a substitute?

Thank you!

You may find that you don't mind the coconut oil - it smells coconutty, but really doesn't taste that way.

Or, as was the case with my husband, you may find you actually like coconut after your tastebuds reset via the Whole30. He now loves coconut milk in his coffee on occasion, and when we started Whole30, he didn't even want me to cook things in coconut oil.

True story.

Archived