Ann's Post-30 Log

Ann

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A bit of offroading - chicken drumsticks dipped in butter then coated in flour and seasonings. And roasted cauliflower. And yup, eating on the couch in front of the TV. (Ate half my dinner before remembering to take a pic).

post-2493-13529515253818_thumb.jpgAnd I'm not too worried about the flour. It is a whole lot better than the pastry I desperately wanted yesterday, or the pizza I SOOO wanted to order last night.

Not doing so good. I had a Starbucks breakfast again (Americano with heavy cream, and ... oatmeal with fruit/nuts :mellow:). And for lunch, a sesame chicken salad (paleo except perhaps the dressing), followed by some chocolate mousse from my favorite deli (dark chocolate, heavy cream, egg, sugar, and I think maybe gelatin). The mousse was better choice than than a cookie, but I should have stopped at a couple of bites. Instead, I scarfed down the whole serving, and now my stomach is seriously not happy for it. I didn't even enjoy it much after the first couple of bites, but didn't manage to put the brakes on. Blechk. :wacko:

I think I need to reset my mindset. I don't want to feel like I made "a mistake" when I eat non-paleo items. It's okay! It's my choice if/when to eat those things, and by trial and error I will learn if/why I want to resist temptation (like the icky stomach I have now from too much chocolate mousse). Sometimes it's a matter of convenience, sometimes it's a matter of craving, sometimes it's truly something delicious and special. Doesn't matter - if I decide to eat it, then I do. I feel myself getting into the habit of feeling like I had a "good day" or a "bad day" diet-wise, and that will probably set me up to feel overwhelmed by a struggle to stay on plan. How about "good week/not-as-good week" -- where I can feel excellent come Sunday that substantially more often than not I ate paleo? I'm going to make an effort from here on to be gentle with myself, and when I make non-paleo choices, so be it. This is my LIFE from here on, and I trust that I will (eventually) find a good balance that works for me.

Still feeling gross from the chocolate mousse, did not have a snack this afternoon, and now at 7:45, I'm not even slightly hungry for dinner. Tummy gurgley and heavy feeling, and I have a little headache. I think I will turn in early, and be sure to get up with plenty of time tomorrow to have a good breakfast and pack a good lunch.

Tomorrow night, girls night out -- Buffalo Wild Wings and Breaking Dawn (don't tease :) ).

New Me vs. Old Me. Good day today - unusual amount of chasing around but managed to eat pretty well. Good (regular) breakfast, followed by a long stretch of no food (crazy busy didn't stop, breakfast at 9:30, next food at 5). Stopped by friend's for a quick favor, they invited me for dinner ... weiner wraps, made with Nathan's hot dogs. I was SOOO hungry I did stay and had two naked hot dogs and a glass of wine, then picked up Five Guys on the way home (bunless burger with a ton of good toppings).

Old Me would have skipped good breakfast, opting instead for an eggnog latte and cinnamon scone, perhaps hit Burgerville mid-afternoon, had a couple (fully clothed) Weiner wraps at my friend's, and picked up Papa Murphy's on the way home, justifying it all as "I was just way too busy today to eat well."

Feeling strong and secure.

Really enjoyed catching up on your log! It is comforting to read the issues that others have with Post Whole30.

I struggle with wanting to "grade" myself too... and I don't want to do that. I don't even want to track percentages or anything! I want to choose towards health most of the time and enjoy special things occasionally.

I liked reading your New Me verses Old Me... I can see that in my life too and that is where I realize that I have made changes, changes ARE happening even if some days if might feel like they aren't.

Enjoy girls night out!

My lack of posts the last couple days actually is not an indication I have been off track. Oh contraire! Life has been hectic and full of temptations, and somehow I've managed to keep things clean. This does seem to get easier with time. And I think backing off from logging every meal is a good thing for me at this point It makes me focus more on the REAL reasons I'm making the good choices I am, and getting away from obsessing about it -- I'm ready for food to not be a primary focus of my life, but for a paleo plan to just be the way I eat, no biggie.

That being said, here's my simple no fuss dinner: leftover WF rotisserie chicken, steamed asparagus, 1/2 avocado.

post-2493-13533861128016_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Finished a W-24 a week and a half ago -- didn't quite make it all the way through my second W30 like I intended, but was pleased with my W24. Have had a week plus of extreme off-roading since then, and am now ready to get into a groove of making mostly-paleo/primal choices. I did a big shopping trip at Whole Foods (ouch says my checkbook!), all the awesome groceries are put away, and I'm getting ready to make a pot of "tortilla" soup - http://www.threedietsonedinner.com/2012/07/paleo-tortilla-soup.html The fact that I over-spent at Whole Foods today might be a good thing, because now one of my goals for the next 9 days (until my next paycheck) is to spend ZERO at the grocery store or restaurants, so I will have one more motivation to eat only the good stuff I have available at home.

My favorite find at Whole Foods today -- St. Dalfour Ginger & Orange Marmalade (ingredients: ginger and orange peels, concentrated grape juice, fruit pectin, lemon juice). I think I will try this with some pork tenderloin later this week, mmmm.

5033_ginger_and_orange_marmalade.jpg

Oooooh DEFINITELY let us know how the marmalade is. I have a recipe for spice-crusted pork tenderloin with an apricot marmalade and haven't been able to find anything that's compliant. This, mixed with maybe some red pepper flakes for a little zing would probably be awesome! I know where I'll be going on lunch tomorrow. :D

• 10 months later...

Sort of cliche to return on January 1, but here I am. I haven't been eating paleo at all for some time and I'm ready to feel better, sleep better, and look better. This will technically be my third W30. I did a very clean/pure W30 a year and a half ago, then a W24 in early 2013 (which was pretty clean but not as strict as my first).

I'm not planning a strict W30, but more of a loose but primarily paleo plan. I will have wine in moderation, and some dairy (heavy cream in my coffee, a little cheese here and there), and I won't worry too much about traces of sugar sneaking into things like chicken stock or bacon. But I will try to keep it mostly clean.

My goals ... less joint pain (hip/back/shoulder), better sleep (I struggle w staying asleep in part bc of the joint pain, and am dealing with night sweats), and even though it is not in the true spirit of W30/paleo, I'd sure like to lose some weight.

I just made ghee and will make mayo tomorrow morning. Shopped BIG today. Dinner is in the oven. I'm ready to do this!!

Day 1:

Coffee / 1T heavy cream

2 eggs fried

Sweet potato fritter (in coconut oil)

A few slices salami

Handful of pistachios

A few olives

Sparking cinnamon/orange peel water

(I slept late/had late breakfast so lunch was really just a snack while I unpacked groceries))

Roasted chicken quarter (salt/pepper)

Steamed broccoli w squeeze of lemon

1/2 roasted delicatta squash w ghee and cinnamon

5 oz red wine

Here we go!!

** Actually - instead of continuing to post here, I'm going to start a new "Ann's Third Log - January 2014"

• 1 year later...

I must say, reading thru this log was like being on a roller coaster... I extended my whole30 initially because I did not experience the full benefits of it, my guts needed longer to heal, so I went on for another month. As result, total mind reset, taste bud reset (wine tastes line vinegar), and food in general, no longer tempts me. I have not craved anything for months now, which is a wonderful feeling. This program has really healed my body and mind :)

Archived