Chocolate Chili

Sheryl

Day 7 here, and I finally made the Chocolate Chili from Well Fed.  I say finally, because I have been to three stores looking for beef broth or stock that is Whole30 compliant.  Every can or box had either honey, cane syrup and/or yeast extract...including all the ones at Whole foods, and Trader Joe's.  I was very frustrated. I decided I would just use Whole30 compliant Chicken stock instead.  I let it simmer for 3 hours, and it turned out SOOOOOO GOOOOD!!! Seriously! The complex flavors and satisfying heartiness have astounded me, I am not normally a huge fan of chili.  Four stars****  I highly recommend making this chili. Mmmmmmmm....gonna have some for dinner.

Thanks for the review, I keep flipping by that one and I've been unsure if I want to try it.  I will now!

Just a side note, if you have a M.O.M.'s in your area (My Organic Market) I found compliant broth there (although I've since made my own..).

• 2 weeks later...

I :wub: Chocolate Chili!  And it is great for breakfast!  The longer it sits, the better the flavor!  I only use chicken broth unless I have beef bone broth made.  I don't think it matters that much since there are a variety of spices used.

Deleted what I thought was compliant beef broth recommendation - seems that caramel color is sugar in disguise.  Feh.

I really really like the chocolate chili - but I LOVE it with avocado slices on top. 

• 3 months later...

bump for this thread because I made this chili today for lunch (not the first time, not the last time  ;)) and WOO BOY --- I debuted a new brand of chili powder and didn't sample it first ... it's somewhat, ahem, MORE BOLD than the last brand I had!  This here chili has a mite bit'o'HEAT to it! :)

In other news, found some more options for compliant store-bought broth; see thread here.

I found some 73% ground beef (mostly I find 80% or 93%) and used it in my most recent incarnation of chocolate chili. I did end up with more liquid to drain, but the texture and consistency of the chili was worlds better than any other version I've ever made.

I never used a recipe to make chili in the past, now that I have chocolate chili I never make it any other way. :wub:

Archived