August 4 Start Group

wvictoria

I've done a lot of thinking about what to do when I finish the W30.  I know I won't just go back to eating sugar, but I hope that someday I can handle sweets without plunging into an abyss of I-don't-care-what-I-eat.  I've been there - I've used really restrictive plans like this before and like how the cravings really go away after a few days, but in the past I have slipped them in little by little until I no longer cared what I was eating. 

I miss the convenience of liquid breakfasts.  Especially now that I am returning to work.  Just before my doc put me on W30, I had just purchased this protein drink on the recommendation of someone who knows I have to avoid sweeteners: The Ultimate Meal

Unless I have a sensitivity to rice protein or sprouted grains, I'll be okay.  It doesn't sync with the whole sit-and-have-a-good-relationship-with-your-food-at-every-meal philosophy, but I think that just easing the shakes in for breakfast will do me well.  I favor rice protein because it doesn't froth.  And the person who recommended it says she doesn't feel hungry for hours after eating it.  If I have reactions or get hungry too soon, I'll reevaluate my plan.

*Editing to clarify - I am considering introducing the shakes AFTER my W30 is complete. 

I overheard my husband on the phone yesterday telling his friend that he should talk his wife into trying the plan that I am using.  He said, (loosely translated) "I don't have to eat anything weird. The food she makes for dinner is great and I just add rice to mine. But she's healthier and losing weight." 

I don't know about the weight thing.  It has always been my experience that I when I purge off of the sugar and carbs, my stomach/waist go down in size.  I figure that is bloat.  And I drop about ten pounds, but again, just bloat.  I've yet to see any plan actually make me start losing fat.  I still see it in my face/neck.  My pants are all still tight in the thighs (I've always carried my weight in my legs).  It's good to be able to wear my clothes again from last year - I wasn't able to close them this summer.  But I don't feel like I'm losing fat. 

Today is my birthday!  But I had to work (life, ugh) and have a ton more to do as soon as I finish this post.  But tomorrow night, my kids and I are going to a swing dance session.  Even my 14 year-old son agreed to come!  This local place has the sessions every other Friday - they give you a lesson for 40 minutes, then have like a party, with open dancing.  And everyone dances with everyone.  It's fun. 

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wedegart45 - the food dreams do go away, I'm not sure when mine stopped, but it was before the end and they never came back.

If you're feeling a bit off, add some extra sweet potato (or something else starchy), some extra fat and some magnesium (if you're not taking some already). These are often the things that can slip a little right when you need them (sometimes intake isn't down, demand is up!).

You guys are all over the hump now! :D

Today is my birthday!  But I had to work (life, ugh) and have a ton more to do as soon as I finish this post.  But tomorrow night, my kids and I are going to a swing dance session.  Even my 14 year-old son agreed to come!  This local place has the sessions every other Friday - they give you a lesson for 40 minutes, then have like a party, with open dancing.  And everyone dances with everyone.  It's fun. 

Happy birthday!  

Happy Birthday, Josephine!

I am so happy to be heading home today! I made it through the week and stayed compliant, but I can't say the food has been tasty. its been more like survival hahaha! I've been fantasizing about what I'll cook tonight, I haven't decided yet, except I'm sure it will include a bunch of roasted vegetables. Any recommendations?

the week did turn out to be a lot easier than I thought it would be. I noticed a big difference in my energy. Not that I have Tiger's Blood, but my energy stayed consistent all day long. I usually struggle with that because of the time difference and my routines being turned upside down.

Happy Birthday Josephine ~ I hope you had a wonderful time dancing last night!!!

Congratulations Tuni on your successful trip!!  I have been loving zucchini chips, which are zucchini rounds mixed with coconut aminos and coconut oil then put on a cookie sheet.  I put some seasonings on the top, bake at a lower temp (250-300) for about 30 minutes or however long it takes them to be chip-like.  I use my toaster oven, and the temp varies from my regular oven. 

Has anyone seen this article?

http://www.today.com/health/you-try-lebron-james-paleo-diet-3-myths-about-carbs-1D80087878?__source=xfinity|hero&par=xfinity

Sometimes it gets so confusing - to carb or not to carb!!!  I guess I just have to go with my gut (pun intended).  I feel better, I don't really crave anything, and even when I get hungry, it's not the "Cranky, get out of my way, I need to eat NOW" hunger.  It's much more dull.

Nearly quit today, I feel isolated and angry. Bloke isn't coming over and I'm sure that if I said I'd meet him for a pint he would be more interested.
I'm angry at checking everything I eat and not being able to catch a quick bite when I'm out. I'm fed up of planning everything.

There is no trade off yet, no results apart from a smaller beer belly. I'll take it a day at a time but I need something to be better.

I think this article paints a very inaccurate picture of paleo.  I think that a majority of people have it so stuck in their minds that carbs come from grains.  they fail to realize that vegetables and fruits are primarily carbohydrate and an excellent source of energy.  furthermore, you can get more than enough calcium from vegetables, so the idea that dairy is the only good source is crap.  i think that leagues of elite crossfit athletes would argue that they get plenty of carbohydrate to fuel their performance with a paleo diet.  people can NOT wrap their heads around not eating processed food.  i think it comes from a defensive place.  they think if you call it unhealty, and it is something they do, then they can't accept that.  people can't say "i eat bread because i like it", instead they say "i eat bread because it is part of a healthy diet according to the usda."  and if you don't then you must be the one who is wrong because the government says so right here on this "my plate" activity.  so the answer to the question "to carb or not to carb?" is YES!  but in the right way.  i digress....

also...i just want snacks today.....

Thanks amnblack, I totally agree.  To me, paleo just makes sense.  I have probably been on EVERY diet and sometimes I don't trust myself NOT to get on another bandwagon.  I probably need to get into the book again for a booster of reality.  

Whole 30 day 20. Leftover chicken stew for breakfast, pork for lunch, probably pork for dinner, or possibly left over beef stew. I have people over who are vegetarians so it gets tricky.

I feel a lot better about this after last nights trawling the W30 forums. Depression, mood swings, extreme tiredness etc. seem to be the norm for many people around mid way and an awful lot of people are looking forward to a drink which makes me feel less like I'm an alcoholic. Sleep has been increasingly better which is brilliant. I'm looking forward to getting back to normal and not having to think about food and plan all the time.

Happy Birthday Josephine!! I hope you had a great time at the dance class, it sounds like so much fun!! 

Tuni - So happy that your trip went well, my coworker is traveling for work and started whole 30 with us, I shared a bunch of your meal ideas with her and she is doing great so far!

Ragbaby - Don't give up! not when the end is in sight!! At least finish this and then decide that this way of eating isn't for you. If you quit now you may always wonder how you might have felt on day 30…. at least thats kinda how I feel. 

​AmnBlack- I agree with your thoughts on that article, I have found these same things to be true when talking with some people about the whole 30 or eating paleo in my daily life. There is a co-worker of mine who is vegan and doing a juice cleanse right now trying to loose weight…. he also was eating pretzels!!?!?  I was discussing with him that drinking pasturized fruit juice is not really doing his body any good, because its really all just sugar, and only going to make him really hungry and feel very tired (hence the pretzel snack). his words were "you paleo people are crazy, you think that fruit is unhealthy. fruit is NOT unhealthy" All I could do was laugh and try to explain to him, but people who don't want to hear things don't listen. 

So I have to confess to you all because I feel reallyyyyyy guilty. I totally ate a bunch of raisins last night while watching tv. I had a major sweet tooth and I gave in and ate them. And I wasn't really paying attention to the decision and afterwards I felt terrible. I probably ate like a half cup of raisins!!! Now I know this could have been WAY worse. but I also realize that it broke the no snacking rule and it was used in place of chocolate or ice cream or cookies so I feel like I cheated. I really don't want to start over, but Im wondering if i have to now??? Or can I just be much more careful for the rest of the days and continue??? I think I will just take it as a lesson and move on, but it makes me very aware of all the potential pitfalls and how sneaky sugar dragon can be!!!!

I also have been having incredible food dreams. about eating cereal and drinking milk (i didn't even drink milk before this!!!) and about eating cake, and chocolates!!! my brain is rebelling! 

Have a good day 20 eveyone!

Linzeey28 and all other snackers(myself included). I have been reading in the program and the rules do not say anything about snacking. If u wrong please someone correct me. I think it is the book that encourages not snacking and eating 3 squares as a general rule. But the whole 30 itself basically says "just eat the right kinds of foods and don't sweat every detail as Lon as you are doing that." The idea is to purge your body of the bad stuff. I mean, as long as snacks are compliant and you only use them when you need them, I think you are ok. You have forever to tweak your eating style, but now is for cleaning out the garbage. As for the raisins, just depends if they had sugar, which a lot of them do.

Linzeey28, I had the same understanding as amnblack about snacking, that it should be avoided but that it wasn't really off plan..  I think you're just fine to continue with a clear conscience. 

The last couple days my appetite has been minimal. It's not that I don't want to eat, it's more like I forget. Then when I do eat, it doesn't take very much to make me feel full. Maybe its the result of traveling? Whatever the cause, it's definitely not my normal!

10 more days! It seems to be going by much quicker now.

Well said, amnblack! That was perfect.

I'm just echoing others, linzee. It doesn't warrant a start-over. These are just habits we have to teach ourselves and it doesn't happen overnight. We have to teach ourselves to ignore cravings and not feed them a substitute. Just keep swimming... We've got this.

I love dancing and I had a blast, but dammit I get so winded sometimes, like that merengue last night that went on and on and on... I mean you can't just quit mid -song, but it kicked my butt. This is an area I was hoping to see a change.. Endurance. I'm not talking about marathon endurance. I just want to be dance more than one high energy song without feeling like I'm dying.

YAY!!!! 

The raisins had no sugar, so we're good there! I was more worried about the context in which I ate them, and how it was just so mindless, and giving in to my cravings. But I'm moving on!! 

Today I actually feel great, and woke easily with no alarm. One thing I can definitely say is that my food has more flavor. Its like everything is so good!!! Even veggies that I would normally just eat out of obligation I am actually ENJOYING!! While its not dropping any pants sizes its a good change, and I'll take it!! 

YAY!!!!

The raisins had no sugar, so we're good there! I was more worried about the context in which I ate them, and how it was just so mindless, and giving in to my cravings. But I'm moving on!!

Today I actually feel great, and woke easily with no alarm. One thing I can definitely say is that my food has more flavor. Its like everything is so good!!! Even veggies that I would normally just eat out of obligation I am actually ENJOYING!! While its not dropping any pants sizes its a good change, and I'll take it!!

Great news! I think you're good. It may take several cycles to get all of your eating right. Melissa said it took her like 3 years. No need to feel defeated.

Hey! Dropping in quickly to say that I'm still hanging in there, still very happy with the way I'm eating, and I wore a pair of shorts today that were too small WHEN I BOUGHT THEM what was I thinking. Also, a book recommendation:  Paleo Slow Cooking by Chrissy Gower. I've made a lot of the meals in it, and they're super easy. We had the Jalapeno Sweet Potato Chowder for dinner tonight, and it was both delicious and filling!

Which didn't prevent me from snacking at the movies, but it was a snack I brought in, and was compliant. I'm not sweating it.  

Anyone else have favorite books, recipes that they've discovered?

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Josephine - are you dancing in DC?  I used to live down there (in the late 90s - jeez - I feel so old!) and that is where I learned to lindy.  I loved it.  Your post just made me think of all the dancing I used to do and how much I liked it :)  I'm glad you had fun!  And, as a side note, I was in my early 20s and doing triathlons when I was dancing - and I still couldn't always make it through a long, fast song without being totally out of breath!

Thanks, littleg. No, I have a studio close to my home here in Williamsburg. I'm taking tango lessons on Saturdays, too. I always teach my students to dance (bachata, salsa, and merengue) and tango will be a really fun addition!

I really want to hear from others what your plans are after the w30.

After w30 my journey is far from over. I plan on doing my 10 day reintroduction and then sticking as close to paleo as possible. I know that w30 is not something you would do always, but I have some lofty weight loss goals so I need to stick close. We have company almost every Sunday night and it is also the only day I'm guaranteed off every week, so I think that is the day I will let myself stray some. Most likely at dinner. Maybe a few trips to the movies for some popcorn. I love To bake so I want to experiment with some paleo treats. I know I need to limit these so I'd like to make something on Sunday to try and them unload the rest at work. It's goin to take a lot of planning up front but I am hoping it will pay off. If you guys stuck around, we can still stay in tough on here.

Day 22, sleep not good again, wondering about reintroductions since I don't feel radically better will it actually matter. Also id not normally have dairy or grains 3 times a day. I need to do some research. So looking forward to not thinking about food all the time.

Archived