bone broth

outdorsgrl

I don't know that you really need a recipe, but here is mine: roast a chicken. Remove the meat you want to eat (don't worry if it isn't picked clean, some meat on the bones will improve the broth). Put the bones, leftover bits of meat and skin into a crockpot, add 2T up to 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar. Cover with cold filtered water. Cook this on low for at least 12 and up to 24 hours. Strain and season to taste with sea salt.

If you want to get fancy, you can add vegetable scraps, etc, but personally I like to keep the broth very neutral and add other flavors when I use it in cooking.

Note that you can also simmer your broth on the stove top in a good sized stock pot.  Aromatics such as onion, celery, and carrot are a good addition for most stocks.

Great tip for clarifying stock.

After straining away the bones and veggies (if using), if the resulting liquid appears really cloudy, put it back on the stove, stir in one egg white and a crushed up egg shell.  Bring back to boil.  Egg white and shell will act as glue for all the fine particulates, drawing them out of the broth and .  Strain through cheesecloth and you'll end up with a beautiful clear stock.  

Also, according to my granny:  if your broth gels as it cools in the fridge then you've done your job well!  :)

Archived