Migraines getting worse

I'm on day 16 or so, and am having more migraines than I was pre-W30. Over the past 2 years I have controlled my migraines by diet. What on earth is going on? Each of my last 3 migraines have been preceded by an aura of lovely shiny flickering lights and blocked vision.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

Liz

To control my migraines with diet, I cut out all trigger foods and anything and everything artificial. The only food I eat now that I know is a trigger is bananas, but ripe bananas are the trigger, not just turned yellow bananas. Since my last whole 30, I have kept my diet pretty much the same. Last time I had more headaches, but not migraines. I don't eat a lot of citrus. Peaches, are on and pears and apples are starting to come on too, so I'm eating more of those right now. Nothing beats fresh fruit from farmers market.

I might start keeping a food journal, but I find that extremely tedious. I have notice dye body isn't fond of cantaloupe right now, but I dont think that's a trigger.

As an FYI, I for several years, I lived with almost constant migraine and rebound headaches from the medications. I was lucky if I had two consecutive pain free days.

Migraines are a toughie - I have managed to control them with food - they are much less intense than they used to be and I get them less frequently then I used to.

Have you ever noticed a correlation with your migraines compared to your menstrual cycle?  This could be why they are worse right now - you are eating differently so your hormones are adjusting.  Hormones adjusting = migraines.

I have found that sugars really, really effect me.  Even sugars in fruit.  So yes it is peach season right now so I will have a nice ripe peach every couple of days.  But I am trying to stay on the low sugar side of fruit - eating more berries than any other fruit.  Also try to keep the fruit consumption to a minimum.  I like fruit so some days I find might slide to 2 pieces a day.  But not more.  I don't care for bananas so they have never been an issue for me.

Pork meat is another trigger for me as well as heavy nightshade type spices.  I also go light on nightshades (tomatoes, eggplants, peppers).  I still consume them on occasion (once a week) but it's not a frequent item.  keeping them to minimal consumption seems  to work, and I have very little side effects.

Do you always get the aura of shining lights and blocked vision?  I've had migraines since I was young and never had visual disturbances.  My migraines have (very fortunately) decreased - significantly in the past 45ish days.  I only ask about the vision issues being normal for you because about 3 weeks ago I had an ocular migraine - not a lot of pain associated with it but serious (and scary) vision disturbances.  Maybe that's what it is?  Something other than your typical?  Either way I hope you're able to pin point.

Do you always get the aura of shining lights and blocked vision?  I've had migraines since I was young and never had visual disturbances.  My migraines have (very fortunately) decreased - significantly in the past 45ish days.  I only ask about the vision issues being normal for you because about 3 weeks ago I had an ocular migraine - not a lot of pain associated with it but serious (and scary) vision disturbances.  Maybe that's what it is?  Something other than your typical?  Either way I hope you're able to pin point.

The only time I get an aura, the lovely shining lights, is when it's going to be a bad, very painful migraine. Well, at least that's how they have been in the past. The last 2 didn't hurt quite as bad. The only thing that was the same between the two was that I had been working in my classroom all day getting it set up. I've had auras for 19+ years. It was because of an aura when I was pregnant with my oldest son! that I was diagnosed with migraine. I've had migraines since I was in high school.

Yes, they could be linked to my cycle, but when they are, the migraine hits the first day or the day before. Usually I can track it back to my cycle and an increase in bad foods like chocolate and other junk foods that are highly processed.

Some days, the constant pain seems almost more desirable than the weekly or biweekly intense pain, but I know that is just not a reality. It is amazing how one can learn to function fairly well while in the midst of a migraine. A lot of people didn't believe me, that I was having migraines because I wasn't hiding in a dark room, but when you have children and you teach, you do what you have to do.

I'm just frustrated. We'll see if another one hits in the next week. I have Christmas lights I want to put up in my classroom to help mitigate the effects of the florescent lights.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived