September 8th, anyone?

booksandcoffee

Kristinmarta -

You mentioned that you went for some more tests when you were at the Dr office a couple of days ago.  Have you gotten the results back, yet?  Hopefully, you will see some positive signs coming from the inside of your body that will give you the encouragement you need to continue. 

Stick with this until at least you get these results back. 

The Whole 30 has a lot of good things going for it, but if the challenges you are having are not related to your body's response to the eliminated foods, then this may not be the answer. 

Please continue to work with your doctor to help you. 

My thoughts and prayers are with you. 

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kristinmarta and everyone who is struggling ((hugs))

Not sure if this will help, but...

I am not feeling anything remotely like tiger blood.  I overslept this morning, had cravings over the weekend, had some bathroom experiences yesterday that made me want to crawl under a rock and hide.  I have never felt more like a disordered eater than when I am on a whole30.  On my first W30 I spotted for I think 8 days before I finally got my period, so I know that this way of eating can make your hormones freak out.  But I am doing it again and hanging in there because something is wrong with me and I want to try to fix it. 

This time I did step on the scale and it is moving in the right direction, so that is motivating.

Wish you were feeling better.

I agree with heather...my hormones went wild in my first whole30 and after almost a year with no periods (after stupidly going on the pill for less than a month before stopping again...always messes up my hormones horribly) I had 2 periods during the 30 days!

After my first whole30 I couldn't see any real effects but about a week afterwards I saw a dear old friend who was stunned by how much better my skin was, how bright my eyes and was adamant ii had lost weight...I carried on losing weight until I started this second one even though I did fall of the wagon a few times. And I'm still losing it as I can feel it in my clothes and more people are noticing.

30 days is just a set period that may not be right for you, you may need longer as I obviously do. now I'll be carrying on, with planned lapses such as a good friends 40th night out, for longer than 30 days

That first one reset my body and I see food completely differently...plus this time round I'm seeing soooo many good results so even though I couldn't see it on my first whole30 it was brilliant for me

I hope it is for you too...

• Administrators

Hey Kristinmarta ~ I'm going to be the one dissenting voice and ask you to google and read the article on Whole 30 Gone Bad (google exactly that, it'll come up...I can't copy and paste at work).

If you really are feeling like the Whole30 is stirring up disordered eating demons and causing masochistic tendencies...then it's worth it to you to take a look at the article and decide if your Whole30 is more hurt than help.

On the other hand, I would also caution you not to use "Gone Bad" as simply a convenient excuse to stop doing what is actually a very difficult and trying program.  If it really is "Gone Bad" then it's possibly time to stop.  If it's just hard and uncomfortable.....keep pushing on!

I've read a few of you have set the goal of no Larabars on your Whole 30.  Why?  I completed a Whole 30 last year and am about to embark on my second one, and Larabars were a big part of my first one.  I would have one for breakfast a couple of times a week, and it would hold me right up until lunch time.  I even began making my own!  I love them and feel they were much more beneficial than detrimental for me.

• Administrators

EileenM ~ I don't eat them for a couple reasons.  First, nuts don't feel good in my stomach, second, they are a sugar bomb which is not really an awesome way to start the day (and keeps your sugar demon alive) and finally because Kellogg bought the Larabar company and then gave a LOT of money in the fight AGAINST mandatory GMO labelling....so I feel like now that they are made by a conglomerate, I am not willing to trust the content.

If you peruse the forum though, you'll find lots of moderators explaining how/why dropping a sugar bomb in your stomach (especially first thing in the morning) is a perfect way to continue to disrupt your hormones and to keep any sugar/craving dragons alive.

Ladyshanny - I googled the "Whole 30 gone bad" out of curiosity and thought it was a great explanation if someone is struggling with their Whole 30. I have always had struggles with keeping weight off throughout most of my life, and if I let myself, can fall victim to the "legalistic" rules and forget why I'm really doing this. I can see where I could easily slip into this being just another thing I "have" to do and not allowing myself to enjoy some good things in life once in a while after this is done. For anyone else who might be struggling with their Whole 30 and why they're doing this, I would suggest googling it and reading it also. 

Can't believe that we're already on day 22. I made it through my birthday weekend staying compliant, though I really wanted to have a big piece of my mom's apple crisp that she made for my birthday. She had no idea I was doing this, otherwise I'm sure she wouldn't have made it. I put some in the freezer and I believe I'm going to treat myself sometime when this is done!  

Have a great week everyone!

Part of what I am trying to do is recondition my brain to what is "normal" for my body - as in what is best for it - and not what is normal as defined by the food industry. This journey has been a true educational experience and I am glad that I have taken on this challenge.

Watching Well Fed at this time was perfect as it really helped to hone in what is going on in the food industry to challenge me. It is really sticking with me and makes me sad that I bought into it for so long. I have to go back to cooking from scratch like our grandparents did.

After 2 weeks on the whole 30 plan, I canceled my weight watchers membership. I have been on and off weight watchers for 40 years. I started at the age of 11. Some years I would have great success, but the weight always came back and added more. Doing this plan has shown me why I have failed at ww for all those years. The processed food need to be eliminated and the reduction of fat to such low levels contributed to my eating more sugar which just created a terrible cycle. This also explains how I struggled to even lose a pound or two no matter how exactly I followed the plan.

I know that we are not supposed to weigh ourselves during this 30 days, but I was feeling different and I needed to know. I have lost more weight in the past 20 days than I have lost in 4 months on ww. My body is really taking to this program.

I feel good, less pain which makes me want to do more things. Allof this is leading to a happier person. So even if this is not Tiger Blood, it is a wonderful feeling that encourages me to continue.

How beautiful and freeing is it to be able to nourish your body and not feel deprived, and be successful.  Congrats!

I have not been here for over a week. Mostly because last week was not-so-great for me. After readint the last few pages-it sounds like a lot of us are struggling. The one thing I can say is that I AM going to finish this. After all this work and effort, I'm going to at least get to 30 days.

As of week 2 I was really feeling great. Off my alergy/sinus meds, sleeping really well, with the exception of some wicked sugar cravingsI was a believer. Then week 3 happened...First off-I spent that weekend in NY with my son, who had been mugged, so I was upset by that (he is fine-it's just upsetting). As a result of not being home all weekend I didn't have much "whole 30" approved foods ready, so I was scrounging around, eating lots of eggs and things that are quick and easy to make so I could stay "legal" which I did. I was not feeling 100% the whole week, physically and emotionally. I can't say exactly what the problem was, but I just felt "bad". I wasn't sleeping well either. Fortunatley, as of this past Saturday, I'm feeling much better again. I made a few good whole 30 foods to keep me going this week and slept really well last night. So, I'm back on track, but that was really weird, and discouraging. The other discouraging thing is that I have only lost 4 lbs so far. A definite dissapointment considering what I have given up along with the exercise I am doing. But fear not-this week, I am adding a spin class and a yoga class to my current 3x per week at crossfit and hoping that will make the difference this last week. 

I have an appt for a physical tomorrow, so I plan to talk to my Dr. about a hormone imbalance. I think it's worth a discussion.

Believe it or not, I'm thinking that I will continue on the whole 30 for another 2-4 weeks. I mean it is working in so many ways and I've come so far. Maybe a couple more weeks would make a difference with my weight? I'll see where I end up and make that decision at that time.

So that's what's up with me. This has been a very easy but then again very difficult process to go through-that's for sure. On to day 23 tomorrow!

Thanks for listening!

Thanks for the input everyone.  I read the Whole 30 Gone Bad article and while I didn't have the same type of disordered thought, I recognized it was getting bad.

As the program continued, I was having more and more conflict around eating.  I just didn't want to do it.  Compliant food, no matter what shape or form, new or old stand-by, was not appealing.  I was eating less and less because I didn't like eating.  Things didn't taste palatable.  Around 3 days ago, I also began to be paralyzed as meal time approached because I hated the idea of eating- on program or off.  I would put off eating as long as possible (often hours) until I was giving myself headaches and my stomach was growling uncomfortably.  All food seemed like bad food.  I debated ending the Whole 30 a lot and thought a lot about my experience with the program. 

So today, at lunch, I decided that I came as far as I was meant to go with this program, at this time.  It wasn't exciting (I ate a sandwich) and I am paranoid about adverse reactions.  But I feel like a weight as been lifted.  The Whole 30 was a useful exercise for a time and I hope to incorporate certain aspects into my life moving forward.  But then it started going off the rails.  I couldn't get out of bed for 2 hours this morning because I didn't want to have to face the day/eat anything.  Even before I got lunch today, I sat in my parked car for 45 minutes trying to decide what to do.  I didn't want to stop prematurely but things had taken a turn.  And it was time for me to end.

Good luck to the rest of you.  Thanks for the support.

Kristinmarta-you are responsible for your well being, Kudos to you for taking care of youself. This program is not about suffering, it's a learning process. Keep up your self care!

Well I'm out of the Hormone Fog....7 days.

I'm feeling good. No major challenges to speak of. I am going to continue on for 60 for sure. I think my eating habits need a bit more time to

change. This program has got me off my couch & cooking, and my goal is to get back to

exercising regularly.

DAY 22!!!

• Administrators

Fgermain ~ didn't you start on September 8?  If so, today is Day 23!

I have no particular issues to report either...just trucking right along.  My Whole30 is actually a Whole100....and a huge part of that 100 day challenge (besides the length) is that I have to go to a teensy little mining town for 10 days in the middle of October and will be living out of a hotel.  Joy.  I'll be packing all the food I need for the 10 days in a couple coolers and by the time I get back to home, I should be sick to death of eating cold food, LOL!  I have no doubt I'll remain compliant...it's just how miserable I am while doing it, LOL!

I am rather irritated today.  I neglected to check my medicine when I started my Whole30.  The Tums I take occasionally have corn starch and saccharin in them. The Pepto Bismol has saccharin too. UGH! I was planning on extending my Whole30 anyway, so this doesn't really change my plan. It does change when I do reintroduction.  I'm going to back off the Tums and Pepto and give it two more weeks before I start reintroduction.

Other than that, things are going very well! I started on September 7th so I'm in the home stretch. No plans to stop.  For the first time in forever (is anyone else singing that song from Frozen now?) I am losing weight and not obsessing over how many points, how many calories, etc.  I'm wearing pants today that were PAINFUL to put on a week and a half ago. Still snugger than I'd like, but I don't feel the need to unbutton them as soon as I get home tonight.

Eating extra veggies at lunch today (raw green beans, jicama and mini sweet peppers) to make up for the fact that I had to dash out to work early and only got to eat a couple of scrambled eggs. No time for my typical morning hash of greens, onions, peppers and eggs.  For my entrée today, I ate PaleOMG's buffalo chicken pasta.  It is unbelievably good. If you like buffalo spicy, go make it. NOW. It's that good.

Ladyshanny--maybe some hardboiled eggs that you can also slice and mix with a little homemade mayo and mustard for some egg salad. I love my egg salad on a huge pile of lettuce. It's what's for lunch today...Mmmmm yum.

I have been doing awesome on Whole30. Feel amazing and cravings have calmed down significantly. One of my goals when this started was to up the physical activity. I haven't really done that yet... I think when I've completed the first Whole30 and start my second for a total Whole60, I'm going to focus on incorporating the exercise into my lifestyle. I should have a pretty good handle on food prep by then and have some ready made freezer meals packed away so I'll have back up meals in a pinch. No excuses that way. :)

• Administrators

Daffodil ~ that buffalo chicken pasta is an absolute FAVOURITE of mine.  Love it...and refuse to make it too often in case I get tired of it.

Did you use zoodles or the prescribed spag squash? I dislike spag squash and it gives me an upset stomach so I use zoodles.

I have some slow cooker squeaky clean beef bourgignon in the crockpot for today.  It is making the house smell soooo good!.  Heading down to make some cream of broccoli soup (only has a little cream that I will replace with coconut milk) - it is an old recipe that I haven't made in a while.  I love having soup to eat at lunchtime.  This one is filling and has lots of broccoli for the veggies. 

So excited that I went shopping in my closet, yesterday.  Found some new clothes (and yes they were new clothes that still had tags on them that I kept saying I was going to fit into them instead of returning them).  Threw a couple of new items into the "rotation" and will spend more time in the closet to see what else is there.  (I have a very large closet and I need to get rid of a lot of clothes that I honestly will never wear. 

Heading back to the career counseling (outplacement services) tomorrow.  Have put together a decent looking resume, although I am sure they will have lots of good input in it.  However, I also came across a job that is almost exactly the job I just left.  So I tweaked my resume and put in an application.   Not sure that is really the job I want, but it is a first for me to start applying for something.  Hoping just to get a call of interest, here.  LOL.

Fgermain ~ didn't you start on September 8?  If so, today is Day 23!

I have no particular issues to report either...just trucking right along.  My Whole30 is actually a Whole100....and a huge part of that 100 day challenge (besides the length) is that I have to go to a teensy little mining town for 10 days in the middle of October and will be living out of a hotel.  Joy.  I'll be packing all the food I need for the 10 days in a couple coolers and by the time I get back to home, I should be sick to death of eating cold food, LOL!  I have no doubt I'll remain compliant...it's just how miserable I am while doing it, LOL!

OMG!!  lol  thank you, geez, don't want to miss a day!

Ladyshanny--maybe some hardboiled eggs that you can also slice and mix with a little homemade mayo and mustard for some egg salad. I love my egg salad on a huge pile of lettuce. It's what's for lunch today...Mmmmm yum.

I have been doing awesome on Whole30. Feel amazing and cravings have calmed down significantly. One of my goals when this started was to up the physical activity. I haven't really done that yet... I think when I've completed the first Whole30 and start my second for a total Whole60, I'm going to focus on incorporating the exercise into my lifestyle. I should have a pretty good handle on food prep by then and have some ready made freezer meals packed away so I'll have back up meals in a pinch. No excuses that way. :)

yep, that's my plan also.  It's was such an adjustment for me with all the shopping and cooking, I was too overwhelmed to add exercise and the PWO meals also. Good Luck!

Archived