longevity of homemade mayo?

Catwoman

I am super paranoid about salmonella, so have made one batch of homemade mayo using a pasturized egg (store bought). But now I am paranoid about how long it will last in the fridge...I mean, raw eggs? StillTasty.com says 2-4 days, but the WF cookbooks seems to say it would last much longer.

Thoughts?

Thanks

someone said the shelf life was same as the expiration on the egg.. Don't know if thats true but I've read it.. Frankly I don't worry about. I probably guzzle the stuff down too fast.. its darn good and plops on so many things.. 

The egg isn't entirely raw in mayo.  The lemon/vinegar "cooks" it.

That being said the rule of thumb I use is the date on the side of the egg container?  That's the date I go by. 

That being said 1 batch of mayo barely lasts me 2 weeks.  I kind of put it on everything :ph34r:

• Moderators

I don't keep mine more than a week -- although during a week, I consume most of it, so there's not a whole lot of waste. I've heard the date on the side of the egg container rule before, but I'm a wee bit paranoid about the raw egg thing too. A week is what I'm comfortable with, and if I have any doubts about it -- if it smells funny, looks weird, or I can't remember for sure how old it is, I prefer to toss it and make new. 

I get farm eggs, wash them and recently learned how to pasteurize them myself, http://www.howtobaker.com/techniques/baking/how-to-pasteurize-eggs/

I have always used Melissa Joulwain's recommendation of adding about a week to the expiration date on the carton. And of course if at any point it looked/smelled strange I would (sadly) dispose of it. But as a 1 person household I make 1 batch at a time and give half to my sister. Between that and how much I use it rarely lasts more than a week.

Even before I tried pasteurizing, I have never gotten sick from my own mayo.

• Moderators

I go by smell. Have used homemade mayo for probably 2 weeks before. And whenever possible, I use eggs from farmers markets or if I buy pastured eggs if I'm getting them from a store. Labels like cage free, omega 3, Natural mean little to nothing, btw.

Eggs can last for a few months. You will know if they go bad.

However, their age has nothing to do with the salmonella factor. You could get the egg as soon as the chicken laid it, if it is contaminated, your only safeguard is to cook well or pasteurize. Keeping the mayo for too long would not be a salmonella risk. It's there from the start or not.

Archived